Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yast and File Manager SU mode launch both broken

Default Yast and File Manager SU mode launch both broken

I suspect that this may be down to uninstalling package kit however they still wont work after re installing it.

Is there a simple way of getting them up and working again?

I can get yast2 running by starting it in the console in su mode.

If I set up the task bar yast icon as it used to be done on KDE - run as different user but allow the console to stay up I get this message.

Code:
    bash: /sbin/yaST2: No such file or directory
    I seem to have identical yast2 yaST2 files in the sbin directory. I suspect these are for updating yast with yast. I get the same resulst with both,

The original yast launch entry doesn't run either. That is

Code:
    /usr/bin/xdg-su -c /sbin/yast2
    OpenSuse 12.3 updated 15min ago.

John
    -

Default Re: Yast and File Manager SU mode launch both broken

Quote Originally Posted by John_82 View Post
    I suspect that this may be down to uninstalling package kit however they still wont work after re installing it.
    YaST has absolutely nothing to do with PackageKit.
    And PackageKit has absolutely no influence on kdesu, which is used to launch applications as root.

Is there a simple way of getting them up and working again?
    Try to run "xauth -b" and enter "q" to quit it again. This always helped when I had similar problems years ago.

Code:
    I seem to have identical yast2 yaST2 files in the sbin directory. I suspect these are for updating yast with yast. I get the same resulst with both,
    There is _no_ /sbin/yaST2. The file is called /sbin/yast2. And /sbin/YaST2 (_not_ yaST2, Linux filesystems are case sensitive) is just a symlink to that.

No joy with xauth.

The run as another user option is still there but doesn't seem to be used any more. It seems to use a pre command to launch YAST. /usr/bin/xdg-su which is present and may well also be be used by package kit.

Run as another user is checked on dolphin in su mode but the user field is blank. That is lauched by dbus-launch.

John
    -

No joy with xauth.
    Hm. Does it work after you run "xhost +"? This allows all users access to your X session. You can turn on access restrictions again with "xhost -" then.
    From "man xhost":
    + Access is granted to everyone, even if they aren't
    on the list (i.e., access control is turned off).

- Access is restricted to only those on the list
    (i.e., access control is turned on).
    There were some threads by other people having that problem a few months ago, if I find them I'll post a link.

The run as another user option is still there but doesn't seem to be used any more.
    This was never used for YaST AFAIR. YaST was always started with kdesu/xdg-su.

It seems to use a pre command to launch YAST. /usr/bin/xdg-su which is present and may well also be be used by package kit.
    xdg-su is a desktop agnostic way to launch programs as root. On KDE it effectively calls kdesu, on GNOME gnomesu, on IceWM "su -", f.e.

Run as another user is checked on dolphin in su mode but the user field is blank. That is lauched by dbus-launch.
    Right. IIRC opening files with other programs from superuser-mode dolphin didn't work years ago because of dbus issues, that's why they then used dbus-launch to start it. There is a bug report somewhere where this is discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    There were some threads by other people having that problem a few months ago, if I find them I'll post a link.
    Some links:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ntication.html
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...koff-menu.html
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...koff-menu.html

If my previous advise doesn't help, run "kdesu /sbin/yast2" in a terminal to see what output you get.
    Also try to delete the file ~/.Xauthority and logout/login. Maybe that helps?

Run as another user is checked on dolphin in su mode but the user field is blank.
    I forgot to answer that one before.
    If the user is not specified, root is assumed I believe. And that "Run as a different user" function just uses kdesu as well.

The 2nd thread looks promising - lot to read.so will take some time.

One aspect I wonder about given one of the console outputs I posted is something like "bash path corruption" ie Can't find /sbin/yast2. but it's definitely there. I also find on SU Dolphin that if I uncheck run as a different user it fires up ok but as an ordinary dolphin window.

kdesu or xgd-su -c sbin.yast2 both hang without asking for the root password.

Some thing is really messed up. Now if I edit the task bar YAST icon setting and exit that the system update progress bare reaches 100% and then starts again. Over and over again.

I had this happen on YAST on 11.4 as well. Never managed to fix it.

John
    -

If it is ok for another user there is a file messed up some where in your user's home

~/.Xauthority is a good guess.

From a comment in the 2nd thread I tried a reboot. Guess what? They now work but I will have to put the correct entries back in the taskbar icon and read the rest of the posts to see if anyone found out exactly what happens. The system setting update seems ok too. I still wonder if paths were messed up in some way. It fits. eg On KDE the icons dance for a while as it has no idea if some apps have launched. :-) That can be fixed by changing the desktop files but it still has no idea if they are up and running. = well on 11.4 anyway.

Reboots didn't fix 11.4

One curious thing that I am sure happened is that when I had a problem with yast taskbar launch and edited it to try and fix it a 2nd yast launch appeared under start-system. Useful I suppose but leaves me wondering what goes on down there where we can see.

Suppose I will leave package kit in until it locks up YAST again. I'm fairly sure that all was ok for a while at least after I un installed it.

Problem fixed - No. This sort of thing shouldn't happen.

John
    -

One aspect I wonder about given one of the console outputs I posted is something like "bash path corruption" ie Can't find /sbin/yast2. but it's definitely there.
    The only console output you posted was:
    Code:
    And I already answered: There is _no_ /sbin/yaST2! Not even on _your_ system. The file's name is /sbin/YaST2 which is a link to /sbin/yast2. Check the spelling (upper case vs. lower case)!

I also find on SU Dolphin that if I uncheck run as a different user it fires up ok but as an ordinary dolphin window.
    That's to be expected, isn't? If you don't start it as different user, it's started as your user...

kdesu or xgd-su -c sbin.yast2 both hang without asking for the root password.
    Hang? I've never seen that. Don't you get any output?

That they don't ask for a password can be because they remember the password for 5 minutes by default, i.e. you don't have to enter it again during that time span.

Some thing is really messed up. Now if I edit the task bar YAST icon setting and exit that the system update progress bare reaches 100% and then starts again. Over and over again.
    That's a _very_ old bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=166792
    I already had this problem in KDE3.
    Just click on cancel and run kbuildsycoca4 manually to make KDE aware of the changes.

I had this happen on YAST on 11.4 as well. Never managed to fix it.
    I had this from time to time, upto and including 11.4. "xauth -b" always fixed it for me.
    Never happened again here since upgrading to 12.1.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Sep-2013 at 15:07. Reason: forgot an [/QUOTE]

On 9/27/2013 2:26 PM, wolfi323 wrote:
    > There is_no_ /sbin/yaST2. The file is called /sbin/yast2. And
    > /sbin/YaST2 (_not_ yaST2, Linux filesystems are case sensitive) is just
    > a symlink to that.

If you check in sbin, you should find these 8 variants of yast2: YaST, yast, YaST2, yast2, zast, ZaST, zast2 and ZaST2.
    All save yast2 are links to yast2. Not sure why the Z, I've heard it is for those with QWERTZ keyboards.

--
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast