Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airprint serving on Linux

Default Airprint serving on Linux

There a several web pages about on using a linux machine to serve airprint requests to a cups printer eg

Enable iOS AirPrint with any printer supported by CUPS - ezUnix

Linux Airprint Server for iOS6 devices | Simply Me

(with a link to another page on the 2nd one)

Has anyone any more detailed info on doing this? The need to broadcast every minute seems odd and at times I have had the impression that airprint uses bluetooth rather than wifi. I'm not keen on adding a bluetooth dongle.

Also the word home server is mentioned - well we haven't got one yet. Work in progress but does this mean I would have to install other software on my machine?

This is mostly for iPad usage howeve there is one iPhone about but not concerned about printing from that.

John
    -

Default Re: Airprint serving on Linux

Funnily enough there is an interesting article in the September issue of Linux Magazine, page 88. The issue number is 154. May be worth reading through.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John_82 View Post
    There a several web pages about on using a linux machine to serve airprint requests to a cups printer eg

Enable iOS AirPrint with any printer supported by CUPS - ezUnix

Linux Airprint Server for iOS6 devices | Simply Me

(with a link to another page on the 2nd one)

Has anyone any more detailed info on doing this? The need to broadcast every minute seems odd and at times I have had the impression that airprint uses bluetooth rather than wifi. I'm not keen on adding a bluetooth dongle.

Also the word home server is mentioned - well we haven't got one yet. Work in progress but does this mean I would have to install other software on my machine?
    I think as long as your iPad is connected to the same wireless LAN, and you have a CUPS server running, with the python script and avahi service running, you'll be good to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I think as long as your iPad is connected to the same wireless LAN, and you have a CUPS server running, with the python script and avahi service running, you'll be good to go.
    I happen to be working on a LAN with an Apple Mac and a 'non-AirPrint' compatible printer attached (Epson CX5500). For a giggle, I downloaded and installed 'handyPrint' for OSX, then proceeded to try printing from my iPhone (with iOS 7). I could now see the Epson printer as being available via AirPrint. Printing worked without an issue.

For network-attached printers of course, one must use a printer with 'AirPrint' capability:

AirPrint Basics

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post

It seems this stopped working on Apples iOS 6 without modification but did on 5 and that there were bugs in 6. They have just released 7 so may as well just try it. As iPad's are pick up and use rather quickly, just have to open the cover, I'm a bit dubious about the need to broadcast the presence of the printer.

We have a sort of solution via Samsung. There is a free printing utility from them in the Apples store. Document viewers etc on the iPad have an open with facility and the print utility crops up there. Not so good on an email. These have to be printed by selection - copy - open print utility and print clip board which is a bit messy but my wife managed it yesterday. On the other hand Samsung have included their own email package and photo handling too by the look of it.

Maybe there will be a linux package for iPad's one day. My son bought my wife the small one and me the larger one for our birthdays. Have to admit they beat a windoze netbook hands down for the sort of tasks they are used for.

John
    -

Blog Entries

It seems this stopped working on Apples iOS 6 without modification but did on 5 and that there were bugs in 6. They have just released 7 so may as well just try it.
    Yes, I have iOS 7 on my iPhone.

As iPad's are pick up and use rather quickly, just have to open the cover, I'm a bit dubious about the need to broadcast the presence of the printer.

We have a sort of solution via Samsung. There is a free printing utility from them in the Apples store. Document viewers etc on the iPad have an open with facility and the print utility crops up there. Not so good on an email. These have to be printed by selection - copy - open print utility and print clip board which is a bit messy but my wife managed it yesterday. On the other hand Samsung have included their own email package and photo handling too by the look of it.

Maybe there will be a linux package for iPad's one day.
    I would like to have seen a CUPS client port or similar. Then no AirPrint hack would be needed. (Of course, if one is using a network-attached printer with AirPrint support, nothing else is needed.)

I have time to do a bit more on this now. The Arch wiki mentions opening ports in the firewall and suggests 2 options according to type of firewall

Code:
    Firewall 

Be sure to open UDP port 5353 if you're using iptables: 
     # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT

If you're following the more-than-useful Simple Stateful Firewall format for your firewall: 
     # iptables -A UDP -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
    This is one area I have never managed to get into. Could some one explain what to do, maybe via yast. would be the best option. I am aware of what firewalls do - but not how to do it on OpenSuSe.

John
    -

On 9/28/2013 1:36 PM, John 82 wrote:
    >
    > I have time to do a bit more on this now. The Arch wiki mentions opening
    > ports in the firewall and suggests 2 options according to type of
    > firewall
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > Firewall
    >
    > Be sure to open UDP port 5353 if you're using iptables:
    > # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
    >
    > If you're following the more-than-useful Simple Stateful Firewall format for your firewall:
    > # iptables -A UDP -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
    >
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > This is one area I have never managed to get into. Could some one
    > explain what to do, maybe via yast. would be the best option. I am aware
    > of what firewalls do - but not how to do it on OpenSuSe.
    >
    > John
    > -
    >
    >

John;

To open a port in SuSEfirewall2, go to YaST > Security and Users > Firewall > Allowed Services > Advanced. There you
    can enter any port number (or name) you wish to open.

--
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by venzkep View Post
    On 9/28/2013 1:36 PM, John 82 wrote:
    >
    > I have time to do a bit more on this now. The Arch wiki mentions opening
    > ports in the firewall and suggests 2 options according to type of
    > firewall
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > Firewall
    >
    > Be sure to open UDP port 5353 if you're using iptables:
    > # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
    >
    > If you're following the more-than-useful Simple Stateful Firewall format for your firewall:
    > # iptables -A UDP -p udp -m udp --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
    >
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > This is one area I have never managed to get into. Could some one
    > explain what to do, maybe via yast. would be the best option. I am aware
    > of what firewalls do - but not how to do it on OpenSuSe.
    >
    > John
    > -
    >
    >

John;

To open a port in SuSEfirewall2, go to YaST > Security and Users > Firewall > Allowed Services > Advanced. There you
    can enter any port number (or name) you wish to open.

--
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green
    Part of my problem is terminology. Internal Zone, External Zone etc. It isn't clear if these relate to the local machine, local network or the internet..

John
    -

Blog Entries

Part of my problem is terminology. Internal Zone, External Zone etc. It isn't clear if these relate to the local machine, local network or the internet..

John
    -
    Hi John

Explained well here:

openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 13. Masquerading and Firewalls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast