Thread: Teamviewer or alternative for Remote Desktop from Android to openSUSE

Default Teamviewer or alternative for Remote Desktop from Android to openSUSE

Hello community,

I am on openSUSE 12.3 KDE 64bit. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" with Android 4.0.4 (unrooted). I have this device for half a year now and used it mainly as a music player. I now thought it would be a great idea to use it for remotely controlling my openSUSE box. I don't need this to be possible through the internet, LAN is fine.

Since the last time I tried connecting via VNC I did not manage to get into a running KDE session on the openSUSE box (from another openSUSE box) I thought I would try teamviewer (even though I really would prefer another solution, maybe RDP?)

Anyway, I installed the server on the SUSE box, the client on the android. All went fine (the Keyboard works nice, the connection is relatively fluid), but I am unable to make a mouse click from android.

Has anybody experienced this and has a workaround?
    Or, alternatively (and even better( has anybody managed to connect via remote desktop to his openSUSE computer from android.

Kind regards

PS OT: Application stores, are the worst discovery ever. I thought they would be much more like repositories. You are not able to filter by license, addware is not labeled - WTF.
    Main box: OpenSuse 12.3)/KDE 4.10 64bit
    Older Box: OpenSuse 12.2/KDE 4.8.5 64bit (my mediabox)
    Laptop: Debian Wheezy/KDE 4.8.4 64bit

Blog Entries

Default Re: Teamviewer or alternative for Remote Desktop from Android to openSUSE

I'm using a VNC app on my tablet that works great, but I currently don't have access to the tablet.
    Next to that Teamviewer also works fine.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Teamviewer or alternative for Remote Desktop from Android to openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos78 View Post
    Since the last time I tried connecting via VNC I did not manage to get into a running KDE session on the openSUSE box (from another openSUSE box)
    VNC should work. I even used to be able to connect from a windows machine via Firefox. Just once to test, never again. You should be able to connect via
    Code:
    <host-ip-address>:5900
    or port 5901.

Make sure the firewall doesn't block the ports.

I remember there was an issue about flash or something required in the client's browser but it is too long ago. I can't try it at the moment, I'm not at home.

Thank you for the replies. Usability with teamviewer persists, so I want to retry VNC.

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    VNC should work. I even used to be able to connect from a windows machine via Firefox. Just once to test, never again. You should be able to connect via
    Code:
    <host-ip-address>:5900
    or port 5901.

Make sure the firewall doesn't block the ports.

I remember there was an issue about flash or something required in the client's browser but it is too long ago. I can't try it at the moment, I'm not at home.

Ok, I installed androidVNC. I have enabled VNC via yast

Allow remote administration, open firewall port. I type my IP in the address and 5900 into port, my username and password and get VNC connection failed .....ECONNREFUSED......

when I enter port 5901 I get

VNC connection failed. No password configured for VNC Auth.

I remember there was an issue about flash or something required in the client's browser but it is too long ago
    According to openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 5. Remote Access with VNC it is java...and it does not seem to work with firefox on android.

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/484759-remote-administration-opensuse-12-3-a.html

Ok, this seems to work, I apologize for not searching more thoroughly, and thank you for the support.

Hi Nikos,

Sorry I couldn't follow up. I'm glad it works for you now.
    I have just returned and tried it out - and failed with Android, iOS and Windoze as client.
    With 11.* and Krfb it worked out of the box and I don't recall I had to edit anything in etc/xinet.d/... Now with 12.2 it sucks for me. Since I don't need it at all, I don't mind and stopped trying. I specifically bought a rather cheap laptop in Taiwan without any OS on it so I could put an openSUSE on it for remote X or ssh / fish when required.

CU

kasi

Edit:
    According to openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 5. Remote Access with VNC it is java...and it does not seem to work with firefox on android.
    Yes, very probably it wasn't flash but java. Just something I couldn't install as normal user on my company laptop that time.