Undo for LibreOffice ?

I saved a file in pdf format but could not print it.

So, I thought I would save it as a plain text file.

With no file extensions being used in the saving process, the original pdf was overwritten and it lost most of the text
in the process.

So, can I retrieve the original ?

Thanks.

No. At least not all of it and not without a huge effort and that assumes you did the recover as soon as you noticed and did no more file activity that my over write the area. Even then it is doubtful any of the file could be recovered and since it is a complex type PDF you pretty much need all of it or forget it.

Probably.
And it’s because although you may <think> the file has been over-written, it might not have.

But, it helps if you have an “undelete” tool installed <before> you need it.
If you install an app after you need it, there is a tiny chance you might overwrite the file you want to recover and of course, you may have to search an enormously large partition to find the file.

Assuming you’re running ext4, giis-ext4 is highly recommended.
Another good tool if you’re installing after the fact is photorec.

And, searching the openSUSE repos, searching “undelete” returns extundelete (I have no experience with this).

TSU

Deleting and overwriting are different. You have a good chance undeleting a file but little if over written.

On 2013-09-19 21:26, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> Deleting and overwriting are different. You have a good chance
> undeleting a file but little if over written.

Libreoffice has a backup directory for files you work with. It should be
worth having a look in there.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

It just learning the structure of each program and taking advantage of new features, etc.

Andy

My post was the result of a problem printing due to an open printer door. I did not discover the error until Windows told me it was open.

I am sure there is some notification made by Linux somewhere showing the error code.

It’s a good program message because if forced, the paper may have jammed in the printer. :slight_smile: