Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fresh install of OpenSUSE 12.3 does not have a package manger?

Default My fresh install of OpenSUSE 12.3 does not have a package manger?

For the life of me, I have read the manual and on my KDE desktop I cant find package management. All of the sources say to open Yast, but when I do it looks nothing like the pictures, all I see is a bunch of selections for managing the system in two lateral menus. I do not see anything in the menu for installing new packages all there is in the top left corner is a file type menu and a round button that does nothing. Thank you all very much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: My fresh install of OpenSUSE 12.3 does not have a package manger?

Lets try running updates, open a terminal

Code:
    su -
    zypper up
    Perhaps post a screenshot of what you see. Might help....
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

File:YaST2-openSUSE-11.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry I don't have any software to take a snapshot but this picture is exactly what I see.

I just found the software part Duh. But when it tries to update it says
    an error occurred during repository initialization
    [|] valid metadata not found at specified URL
    History:
    -[|] repository type can't be determined

Open a console and show us the output of

zypper lr

You can use the knosole menu to copy then paste her between code tags the # option on the web sites editor.

Code:
    #  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
     1 | openSUSE-12.3-1.7         | openSUSE-12.3-1.7                  | Yes     | No     
     2 | openSUSE:Factory          | openSUSE:Factory                   | Yes     | Yes    
     3 | openSUSE:Factory:NonFree  | openSUSE:Factory:NonFree           | Yes     | Yes    
     4 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.3-Debug                | No      | Yes    
     5 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
     6 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
     7 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
     8 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.3-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
     9 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.3-Source               | No      | Yes    
    10 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.3-Update               | Yes     | Yes    
    11 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes

Quote Originally Posted by burialhound View Post
    Code:
    #  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
     1 | openSUSE-12.3-1.7         | openSUSE-12.3-1.7                  | Yes     | No     
     2 | openSUSE:Factory          | openSUSE:Factory                   | Yes     | Yes    
     3 | openSUSE:Factory:NonFree  | openSUSE:Factory:NonFree           | Yes     | Yes    
     4 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.3-Debug                | No      | Yes    
     5 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
     6 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
     7 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
     8 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.3-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
     9 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.3-Source               | No      | Yes    
    10 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.3-Update               | Yes     | Yes    
    11 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes
    First of all, _immediately_ remove those 2 Factory repos! They _will_ break your system... (Factory is where the next openSUSE version is developed, it's Beta right now)
    Do this in YaST->Software Repositories, or type the following in a terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo zypper rr 2 3
    Then run:
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup
    to remove any Factory packages from your system.

And please post for what repo you get that error message. Might be a temporary problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    First of all, _immediately_ remove those 2 Factory repos! They _will_ break your system... (Factory is where the next openSUSE version is developed, it's Beta right now)
    Do this in YaST->Software Repositories, or type the following in a terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo zypper rr 2 3
    Then run:
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup
    to remove any Factory packages from your system.

And please post for what repo you get that error message. Might be a temporary problem though.
    That was a little scary The sudo zypper rr 2 3 worked fine and then I did the sudo zypper dup, and it said removing 2 and installing 9 updates. went through a big agreement list and said "yes" then a endless line of ys went down the screen. Closed the terminal, Pulse audio crashes, got that going again.

But ya, when I go into the package manager now it does not throw up errors thanks! (hopefully everything works out fine from now on.) But I think the reason those repos were in there was because I used the ine click install to get Flash working and probably forgot to uncheck the Factory repo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burialhound View Post
    That was a little scary The sudo zypper rr 2 3 worked fine and then I did the sudo zypper dup, and it said removing 2 and installing 9 updates. went through a big agreement list and said "yes" then a endless line of ys went down the screen. Closed the terminal, Pulse audio crashes, got that going again.

But ya, when I go into the package manager now it does not throw up errors thanks! (hopefully everything works out fine from now on.) But I think the reason those repos were in there was because I used the ine click install to get Flash working and probably forgot to uncheck the Factory repo.
    The last bit means you installed Flash for Factory. Re. one click, mind that you do use the correct openSUSE version.
    Plus: the software manager already has repos configured, containing (almost) everything needed for a proper desktop experience. If you miss something ( and in the case of Flash a mere update session would have automagically installed Flash), use the software manager to find out if it's already available. This guarantees that you use the packages for your installed version.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

But from that list of repos I have what is the standard OpenSUSE repo? and is there some other repos I can add (or remove) so I will have a rich amount of software to chose from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast