Thread: Powersaving; OpenSUSE 12.3; Gnome; Toshiba Laptop; AMD A6-4400m APU radeon graphics, 16GB ram

Default Powersaving; OpenSUSE 12.3; Gnome; Toshiba Laptop; AMD A6-4400m APU radeon graphics, 16GB ram

PS I believe the pertinent system specifications are in the title.

The brightness keys work the brightness control panel works but neither set values that are maintained across a poweroff-reboot? Is there some way to set the initial brightness to something other than full on? MY CPU seems to be in stepped up mode when relatively inactive. I read the powersaving description for 11.x about automatic controls instead of manual controls and I do not find the arguments totally persuasive. If running a task at night low power and longer execution can minimize fan noise (quieter for sleeping in a hotel room) as just one example. Keeping the laptop cooler when editing files with the unit is on you lap is another reason -- I have had the fan full on with heat spewing when gediting a text file on battery power that one would not casually believe to be a CPU intensive task. Even with automatic stepping control of the CPU would the possibility of aggressive up-stepping, aggressive down-stepping and a balanced approach be reasonable possibilities. Should a "turbo mode" cpu like mine recognize the turbo operation level (seems somewhat like overclocked) to be a mode to be more aggressive in terms of either dropping out of or not engaging when powersaving is desired -- possibly turned off when operating on a battery? Turbo mode in the case of the AMD processor is running in excess of the stated maximum for this processor. By this I believe the stated maximum can be exceeded for a period of time as recommended by the manufacturer but at some point for some reason should be reversed -- ie too much heat generation disabling the turbo mode until the excess heat dissipates.

Manual, webpages, etc are acceptable references I am willing to read and test options-- at this point most documentation I have seen is for the wrong version in terms of OpenSuSE 12.3 (ie 11.x) and I have a feeling the desktop manager has an impact on dealing with those settings -- potentially different choices for KDE, Gnome, etc. Inquiring the system as to the CPUstep changes and setting could be helpful to understand/document the problem.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Default Re: Powersaving; OpenSUSE 12.3; Gnome; Toshiba Laptop; AMD A6-4400m APU radeon graphics, 16GB ram

IMO AMD A6 APU are poorely supported in SuSE linux.
    Personally I have a Satellite M50D-A-10Z for a couple of days now, and I'm facing the following:
    - touchpad (Elantech) not recognized - some threads say it's fixed in kernel 3.11
    - web camera not recognized (seems it's a Chicony, although reported as Toshiba)
    - (some) function keys not working - including those which control brightness
    - yast-sound reports 2 audio boards: ATI and AMD; one is audio-0 the other audio-1. I could not set volume on audio-0 (no controls), but could see volume controls for audio-1. Strange enough, upon setting audio-1 as primary, the volume settings disappeared, and were again available for audio-1 (no matter which is audio-0 ATI or AMD)
    - battery not recognized

I also tried other live distributions:
    - ubuntu did not recognize video - could only be started w/ low resolution; after boot - same as above
    - fedora started, but again no touchpad or web cam or audio

To be frank, I tried 3 laptops, and came to the conclusion that Toshiba is the best option (tried Lenovo Z500 and Dell 3537), even w/ the above problems. Currently I'm waiting for openSuSE 13.1 and hope for the best.

Default Re: Powersaving; OpenSUSE 12.3; Gnome; Toshiba Laptop; AMD A6-4400mAPU radeon graphics, 16GB ram

On 11/18/2013 06:56 AM, simplemarius pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

Purchased a Toshiba L75D-A7288 two weeks ago. openSUSE 13.1 RC2
    installed and with all the latest updates.
    > IMO AMD A6 APU are poorely supported in SuSE linux.

AMD A8, I have not experienced any issues.

> Personally I have a Satellite M50D-A-10Z for a couple of days now, and
    > I'm facing the following:
    > - touchpad (Elantech) not recognized - some threads say it's fixed in
    > kernel 3.11

Working fine.

> - web camera not recognized (seems it's a Chicony, although reported
    > as Toshiba)

No problem with the web cam.

> - (some) function keys not working - including those which control
    > brightness

I too have that experience but can adjust the brightness using the
    control provided when on battery. I'm confident a update will fix the
    issue soon.

> - yast-sound reports 2 audio boards: ATI and AMD; one is audio-0 the
    > other audio-1. I could not set volume on audio-0 (no controls), but
    > could see volume controls for audio-1. Strange enough, upon setting
    > audio-1 as primary, the volume settings disappeared, and were again
    > available for audio-1 (no matter which is audio-0 ATI or AMD)

That issue existed update updates fixed the problem.

> - battery not recognized

Not an issue.

>
    > I also tried other live distributions:
    > - ubuntu did not recognize video - could only be started w/ low
    > resolution; after boot - same as above
    > - fedora started, but again no touchpad or web cam or audio
    >
    > To be frank, I tried 3 laptops, and came to the conclusion that Toshiba
    > is the best option (tried Lenovo Z500 and Dell 3537), even w/ the above
    > problems. Currently I'm waiting for openSuSE 13.1 and hope for the best.
    >
    >

I have not found any issues yet with this laptop and would recommend it
    to friends.

Ken

Default Re: Powersaving; OpenSUSE 12.3; Gnome; Toshiba Laptop; AMD A6-4400mAPU radeon graphics, 16GB ram

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 11/18/2013 06:56 AM, simplemarius pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

Purchased a Toshiba L75D-A7288 two weeks ago. openSUSE 13.1 RC2
    installed and with all the latest updates.
    WOW!
    I'm a bit puzzled as I tried openSuSE 13.1 Live. Most probably the latest fixes didn't make. I can hardly wait for the official release (due in the following hours)- this machine is too good not to be fully supported by SuSE. I'll report back.

Thanks for the tips Ken,
    marius

@Ken

I spent all afternoon/evening/half the night installing openSuSE 13.1, installing ATI proprietary driver, and struggling w/ the touchpad.

Power Management: still no luck. I cannot change brightness unless I use AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Touchpad: the same old story:
    Code:
    > dmesg | grep lant
    [    1.932405] psmouse serio1: elantech: unknown hardware version, aborting...
    [    2.177298] input: PS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1
    Sound: same story.

Looking over the web I found countless links for ubuntu and elantech. So I installed 13.10 (saucy), and ruined the night :-( I tried various suggestions: patched kernel, elantech-v7 DKMS module, settings in xorg.conf, etc. None worked for me. One of the DKMS modules installed was supposed to display the fw_version which is
    Code:
    > dmesg | grep lant
    [   11.434254] psmouse serio1: elantech: unknown hardware version 0x381f01, aborting...
    (the hex number above is the fw_version as per code, do not be misleaded by the message)

I am confident that a fix will be provided at some point. For the time being:
    * touchpad: will try to create some shortcuts (and script) to disable/enable it completely - the keyboard and touchpad are too close, and it 'steals' the mouse while typing
    * audio: I do not care too much about audio on a laptop.
    * battery and power management: it will be an issue only while travelling
    * video: works in VLC so there should be a solution for skype also
    Talking about skype. openSuSE 13.1 release notes talk about a problem w/ pulse, but also offer a solution - did not test it though.