Thread: Sudo or Super User Terminal ?

Default Sudo or Super User Terminal ?

I am really new to this but aren't they the same thing ?

It just seems to me that using sudo is the same thing as running something in a Super User Terminal ?

thanks

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Sudo or Super User Terminal ?

They do similar things but they are not the same
    Difference Between SU and SUDO | Difference Between | SU vs SUDO
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hextejas View Post

It just seems to me that using sudo is the same thing as running something in a Super User Terminal ?

thanks
    With sudo you are impersonating root for that one command, while retaining and working within your current user's environment. I only use sudo for simple and single commands only. For anything else, I switch to su.

'su' is normally used to become root and stay so until you exit. However, su can do more: You can become any user by it, and you should be aware of both the 'su' and the 'su -' variants - the latter becomes root AND switch to root's environment. Take a look here https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...nal-howto.html - it is very interesting, particularly palladium's examples (post #20).

My vote goes to caf4926/palladium and I recommend you make a habit of using 'su -' and only use 'su' when it is required by that specific task (like when compiling). That will limit confusion like file ownerships/rights when you use apps while "su -"-ed. You should read the howto I point to and understand how the effect of two differ according to the change in the environment they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by hextejas View Post

thanks
    Most probably what you call a "Super User Terminal" (you do not mention which one and they differ), will start thye terminal window and then execute for you:
    Code:
    su -
    which will then ask you for root's password (the first thing you will see on the terminal).
    And when you use su yourself, please also do it as above with the - (or the -l option), better security.

Thus your question can be reformulated as "What is the difference between sudo and su?"
    The link provided above by vazhavandan explains a few things.

sudo works with a configuratiion file. The default configuration as installed on openSUSE sees that:
    Code:
    sudo some command
    and
    Code:
    su -c 'some command'
    act the same. Thus as long as you do not use the configuration features of sudo, you do not need it (su is much older then sudo). But many use sudo nevertheless, often out of habit.

Using the Super User terminal is fine when you have more statements to type. Exactly the same is using a "normal" terminal and typing:
    Code:
    su -
    yourself.

For one command, most people will use sudo (with the default configuration).
    Henk van Velden

On 2013-09-11, hextejas <hextejas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > I am really new to this but aren't they the same thing ?

No.

sudo means `substitute user and do' or (according to the man sudo) `execute a command as another user'.
    A Super User Terminal is a console invoked with root privileges with a root environment.

As you can see, they are completely different.

If you mean `What's the difference between su, su -c, and sudo', that's a different question but one which seems already
    to have been answered.