Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: What to use to learn OOP ?

  1. #1

    Default What to use to learn OOP ?

    I have been wanting to try and learn Object Oriented Programming and have been reading various articles on the recommended package. So far it has been boiled down to 2. Either Python or Ruby.

    So, without getting into too much of a fight, what would you recommend ?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    On 2013-09-10 04:06, hextejas wrote:
    >
    > I have been wanting to try and learn Object Oriented Programming and
    > have been reading various articles on the recommended package. So far it
    > has been boiled down to 2. Either Python or Ruby.


    To me, OOP means Modula :-P

    If you have a look at the

    wikipedia
    , you will see a lot of languages supporting OOP in
    different manners and flavours.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    hextejas wrote:
    >
    > I have been wanting to try and learn Object Oriented Programming and
    > have been reading various articles on the recommended package. So far it
    > has been boiled down to 2. Either Python or Ruby.
    >
    > So, without getting into too much of a fight, what would you recommend ?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >

    Before learning the language you should ensure that you have the
    necessary compiler/interpreter and IDE(integrated development
    environment) or Editor so that you get the benefits of
    ==>Colourful syntax highlighting
    ==>Easy compilation/execution
    ==>Bade highlighting
    ==>Debugging etc

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,044

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 02:06:02 +0000, hextejas wrote:

    > I have been wanting to try and learn Object Oriented Programming and
    > have been reading various articles on the recommended package. So far it
    > has been boiled down to 2. Either Python or Ruby.
    >
    > So, without getting into too much of a fight, what would you recommend ?
    >
    > thanks


    Python is a pretty good language to learn, and not difficult to learn,
    either. While I've got some background in programming, when I came
    across a need that Python was a candidate for, I learned enough of it
    over a long weekend to get the job done.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    On 2013-09-10 05:40, vazhavandan wrote:
    > Bade highlighting


    Sorry, what's that? :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    On 2013-09-10, hextejas <hextejas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > I have been wanting to try and learn Object Oriented Programming and
    > have been reading various articles on the recommended package. So far it
    > has been boiled down to 2. Either Python or Ruby.
    >
    > So, without getting into too much of a fight, what would you recommend ?


    I think this post is better placed under the Programming/Scripting subforum but I have no strong opinions on this.

    Both Python and Ruby are excellent and there's considerable overlap in what the two languages are good for. Learning one
    does not preclude learning the other, and I'd argue that learning one language (just like learning spoken languages)
    helps you learn others. Here's a few reasons _not_ to choose one over the other:

    1. The `differences in philosophies' debate: (which in summary is Ruby gives fun and flexibility; Python gives
    productivity and readability) is nonsense because both are more-or-less equally readable, flexible, and fun. We can
    argue about which of indenting or `end' statements are more unsightly, but such discussions are usually based on
    prejudices rather than evidence.

    2. The web-application debate (Ruby has RubyOnRails whereas Python doesn't). Python has Django and plenty of other
    options and if it's good enough for Google, it's good enough for you.

    3. Learning one over the other will help me get a job. No - that's PHP (sadly IMO). Okay I'm joking or at least
    dramatically over-simplifying the situation, but if you're an OOP-starter, this should not affect your decision.

    Which to choose (first) depends on why you want to learn OOP. A bit like Java, Ruby is `stricter' than Python when it
    comes to OOP (being closer to the `everything's an object' model). There, that's one difference (although I could argue
    that everything's in object in Python too!).

    Of the two, I mostly use Python. That's because I'm a scientist and Python is better supported for scientific uses. That
    should not affect your decision unless you're a scientist. Your decision may be based on what your friends and collegues
    use because it always helps to have a local guru around when you're in trouble.

    So I hope you can see the correct answer is: it doesn't matter as long as you try at least one!

    The only thing I will say is (and ignore the hostile responses this statement will no doubt receive):

    DO NOT USE AN IDE FOR LEARNING HOW TO PROGRAM - IT WILL MAKE YOU A LAZY AND LESS KNOWLEDGABLE PROGRAMMER.

    An IDE is Integrated Developer Environment (like Eclipse/IDLE/etc...). It locks you into it's own ways and hides things
    that you may think may make things easier but in the end wish you'd long known about. Once you are a seasoned
    programmer, there's no reason to switch to an IDE to make life easier - but then that's your choice, not the IDE's!

    In the meantime use a text editor to write code. If you use KDE use Kate, and if you use GNOME use gedit; both work very
    well with Python and Ruby. Don't bother with old-fashioned text editors (such as Vim or Emacs) because they are for
    when you are an advanced programmer and there's no point unnecessarily multiplying two learning curves.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,952
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    Strictly speaking,
    There probably isn't a single commonly used programming language used today which doesn't now implements OOP.

    So, especially nowadays if someone asked me the question you just asked I wouldn't hesitate in saying.

    Javascript.

    And, the reason why is because it's so universal. Javascript itself or a close cousin is used everywhere, major examples include (this list is by no means more than superficial)

    Nodejs - A quick, fast way to write, invoke and run tiny but powerful apps on any platform. Yes, practically <every> OS in existence without re-compiling to targets unlike Java and CLR.

    HTML5/AJAX - Web applications and applications built using web technologies.

    Angularjs, Knockout Backbone and similar - Databinding extensions to web technologies which fills in the gaps enabling full functionality similar to natively installed apps

    D3, Raphael and similar - Javascript based CSS3 which enables a new generation of data visuallization which in the past required heavy pre-installed Client frameworks like WPF but now can be light, cross-platform and graphically impressive both as imaginative shapes as well as animation.

    Web Browsers and Mobile Environments are building new Javascript functionality into the clients, so the world is getting brighter for Javascript at a pace far faster than any other coding language. In fact, Chrome's new Javascript engine is supposed to execute Javascript just as fast as compiled code (eg C++).

    And, after you get your feet set in Javascript, you will always be able to apply your learned skills to other coding languages.

    BTW - OOP is <very> "yesterday" -- It's a coding practice and structure which was "new" more than 10 years ago. Today, modern programming has progressed far beyond basic OOP, creating and using objects that themselves are aggregated OOP objects.

    Also, I disagree on discouraging the use of an IDE. I don't mind the fact that early use of an IDE is a crutch, but it would be a major assist in properly orgainizing your files and do a lot of common housekeeping which can help you focus on concepts instead of details as you learn and work. Also, better IDE will help you write code by providing hints how to construct your statements. Eventually you can make the decision to not use an IDE, especially if you out-grow the capabilities of the tool you're using.

    TSU

  8. #8

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    On 2013-09-10, tsu2 <tsu2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > Strictly speaking,
    > There probably isn't a single commonly used programming language used
    > today which now implements OOP.


    C++?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,952
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    On 2013-09-10, tsu2 <tsu2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > Strictly speaking,
    > There probably isn't a single commonly used programming language used
    > today which now implements OOP.


    C++?
    You'll notice after I posted that I noticed how what I wrote would be interpreted incorrectly so I already modified the text...

    Basically, <every> language today implements OOP.
    Heck, I can even remember <very recently relatively speaking when all the scripting languages didn't implement OOP. OOP was implemented <only> in C++ (before Java and the MS "Visual" languages.

    TSU

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: What to use to learn OOP ?

    I agree on Python. It really is a fun way of getting into software development. And many people underestimate the power of it. So have a look and see if it suits your.

    Or you try PHP. I know there are many people who use it without OOP, but that doesn't mean it can't. And when you're interested in creating websites, you can combine these skills.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •