Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROOT>var>run>media>%user% is out of space

Default ROOT>var>run>media>%user% is out of space

openSUSE 12.3
    KDE 4.10

I have been testing some backup procedures and they all blow up when they get to the Virtual Box, Windows XP directory, the .vdi file.
    The file is 5.0Gb and I need to make something bigger so I can make a copy of that one file.
    Apparently all files go through >media to get to their ultimate destination so, how can I expand whatever it is that I need to expand.

thanks

Default Re: ROOT>var>run>media>%user% is out of space

Quote Originally Posted by hextejas View Post
    openSUSE 12.3
    KDE 4.10

I have been testing some backup procedures and they all blow up when they get to the Virtual Box, Windows XP directory, the .vdi file.
    The file is 5.0Gb and I need to make something bigger so I can make a copy of that one file.
    Apparently all files go through >media to get to their ultimate destination so, how can I expand whatever it is that I need to expand.
    I already wrote that yesterday.
    /var/run/media/$USER/xxxx is your external hard disk.
    Just make sure it is mounted when you run the backup. And check that it has enough empty space for the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I already wrote that yesterday.
    /var/run/media/$USER/xxxx is your external hard disk.
    Just make sure it is mounted when you run the backup. And check that it has enough empty space for the backup.
    Glory be, but I think that you are mistaken, and I hope you are not.
    I am thinking that var>run>media is either used temporarily or checked for space before the copying begins.
    On my PC it has 1.2 Gb of space, the external HDD has 90Gb free.

I even tried a simple copy within Dolphin of the 5gb file and it only gets so far when it stops.
    I will try it from the command line tomorrow to see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by hextejas View Post
    Glory be, but I think that you are mistaken, and I hope you are not.
    Why do you think that?
    Mount your drive with KDE (i.e. click on it in dolphin) and have a look at the output of the command "mount".

If it is not mounted, you are writing to the tmpfs /var/run/ instead which has only a size of 1GB (it is kept in RAM).

What are yo using to backup?

Not sure what 1.2 gigs is. Is that free space on root or used or what?? If free space on root you may have too many tmp files clear them out.

Some backup methods do use tmp space particularly if you use compression

rsync is good if the target file system is Linux based but Windows based file systems lose permission bits since the file systems don't support them

If you are backing to Windows format media best to use a container like gz or tar etc since they save the permission bits. but they do use lots of tmp space to build.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What are yo using to backup?

Not sure what 1.2 gigs is. Is that free space on root or used or what?? If free space on root you may have too many tmp files clear them out.

Some backup methods do use tmp space particularly if you use compression

rsync is good if the target file system is Linux based but Windows based file systems lose permission bits since the file systems don't support them

If you are backing to Windows format media best to use a container like gz or tar etc since they save the permission bits. but they do use lots of tmp space to build.

The 1.2 is free space on either var, run, or maybe media. As I was stepping through the tree with Dolphin, that is the number I saw.

I used Grsync initially, then after I reviewed the error report and saw that the 5gb got skipped, I tried it again in Dolphin. Another error.
    question. When I tried Dolphin, I had a split screen, 5gb on the left, USB HDD on the right, click and drag, and that did not work. I don't remember the error message but I am pretty sure it was about not enuf space.
    Would Dolphin let me do that if USB HDD were not mounted ?

The USB HDD is a Fat 32 format but I can make it whatever I want.
    What do you suggest ?
    The losing permissions is startling.

Sent from my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Mount your drive with KDE (i.e. click on it in dolphin) and have a look at the output of the command "mount".

If it is not mounted, you are writing to the tmpfs /var/run/ instead which has only a size of 1GB (it is kept in RAM).
    If I were more familiar with Linux commands I think I could make my case from Konsole.
    # some command to show the status and capacity of USB-HDD
    # another command to copy the 5gb to USB-HDD (cp ?)

I'll figure them out tomorrow.

fdisk -l will give info about partitions and partition size

Also df gives size info.

If you have a normal setup /var/run and /run are temp file systems thus work out of memory df will show what is what

mount shows what is mounted from where
    df will show space available and where mounted and file system

/etc/fstab file controls what gets mounted where at boot

Blog Entries

Install luckybackup, connect the external HDD and create a profile where all desired files and folders will be copied to the external HDD. You can reuse that every time. Or create a rule where this HDD gets mounted on /backupdisk or something alike.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Install luckybackup, connect the external HDD and create a profile where all desired files and folders will be copied to the external HDD. You can reuse that every time. Or create a rule where this HDD gets mounted on /backupdisk or something alike.
    That's what I had done Knurpht and I kept getting a lot of red error messages so I tried to simplify things. I might go back to it when I get this sorted out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast