Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Permission, etc.

  1. #1

    Default Permission, etc.

    I run openSUSE 12.2, and I am both root and the only user. I bought a Kingston flash memory stick and have used it to do backups with rsync. I would like to do things differently now, and remove the existing directories that are there or at least create some new directories but the system will not let, keeps saying "read-only", whether I try as the user and owner or as root. How can I accomplish what I would like to do?

    pe1800@linux-gkd7:/media/KINGSTON> ls -al
    total 128
    drwx------ 5 pe1800 users 32768 Dec 31 1969 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Aug 19 11:25 ..

    drwx------ 36 pe1800 users 32768 Aug 11 13:36 pe1800
    drwx------ 3 pe1800 users 32768 May 30 17:34 pe1800-deletes
    drwx------ 4 pe1800 users 32768 Aug 19 11:27 .Trash-1000

    pe1800@linux-gkd7:/media/KINGSTON> rm -r pe1800
    rm: cannot remove ‘pe1800’: Read-only file system

    pe1800@linux-gkd7:/media/KINGSTON> mkdir BACKUP-SUSE-A
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘BACKUP-SUSE-A’: Read-only file system

    pe1800@linux-gkd7:/media/KINGSTON>
    Thank you,
    pe1800

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,480
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by pe1800 View Post
    I run openSUSE 12.2, and I am both root and the only user. I bought a Kingston flash memory stick and have used it to do backups with rsync.
    Is the flash memory formatted as NTFS?

    If it is, then I suggest that you plug it into a Windows box, and run
    Code:
    CHKDSK /F letter:
    (with the appropriate letter for the disk). This is to check whether there is file system corruption (and to fix it).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,109
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by pe1800 View Post
    I run openSUSE 12.2, and I am both root and the only user. I bought a Kingston flash memory stick and have used it to do backups with rsync. I would like to do things differently now, and remove the existing directories that are there or at least create some new directories but the system will not let, keeps saying "read-only", whether I try as the user and owner or as root. How can I accomplish what I would like to do?



    Thank you,
    pe1800
    Although you <say> your account is also root, it's unlikely. Maybe <maybe!> your User account is a member of the root group, maybe not.

    Recommend
    1. You've posted your output using your regular User account. Re-post output running the same commands after <properly> changing to root.

    Speculation: Your User account is mostly only a regular non-root account and not a member of the root group, which would be inadvisable in any case. More likely I'm guessing that your system mail is being delivered to your User account and you may be confusing that to mean your User account has root permissions.

    Regardless how your User account permissions are setup, your rsync may have set permissions restrictively on its own... eg if running with root permissions (likely) it could have created or updated files which might only be accessible with the root account and might not even permit root group permissions. In fact, as I'm re-reading your post now, "drwx" permissions is exactly that... Only the owner has access, everyone else is locked out.

    So, IMO you should be able to do anything you want with those directories on your flash drive after running "su".

    TSU

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,973

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    When it says that the file system is read only, it probably means just that. Thus you have to see if it is mounted read only
    Code:
    mount | grep media
    And when it is, you have to find out why. Is there an fstab entry for it?

    And, as said, off course it might not be a Linux file system at all, which will complicate things because then all permissions and ownership is faked.

    PS, please do not use QUOTE tags, but CODE tags around computer copy/pastes. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    > Kingston flash memory stick

    i believe some Kingston sticks have a *little* slider switch to
    prevent accidental erasures...if yours does that switch will change
    the stick from "read only" to "read and write"..

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Complaints

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,973

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    > Kingston flash memory stick

    i believe some Kingston sticks have a *little* slider switch to
    prevent accidental erasures...if yours does that switch will change
    the stick from "read only" to "read and write"..

    --
    dd
    Complaints
    I also thought of something like that (where are the times that we removed "write rings" from open tape reels?), but he says he does use rsync to backup to the drive.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    That worked. Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Is the flash memory formatted as NTFS?

    If it is, then I suggest that you plug it into a Windows box, and run
    Code:
    CHKDSK /F letter:
    (with the appropriate letter for the disk). This is to check whether there is file system corruption (and to fix it).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Thank you. The root account and my user account are not related. It's only that I am the only user and that I have also, after entering the root password, , root access. I had already tried to do the same deletes and directory creation also as root - using su or sudo - with identical negative results.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Although you <say> your account is also root, it's unlikely. Maybe <maybe!> your User account is a member of the root group, maybe not.

    Recommend
    1. You've posted your output using your regular User account. Re-post output running the same commands after <properly> changing to root.

    Speculation: Your User account is mostly only a regular non-root account and not a member of the root group, which would be inadvisable in any case. More likely I'm guessing that your system mail is being delivered to your User account and you may be confusing that to mean your User account has root permissions.

    Regardless how your User account permissions are setup, your rsync may have set permissions restrictively on its own... eg if running with root permissions (likely) it could have created or updated files which might only be accessible with the root account and might not even permit root group permissions. In fact, as I'm re-reading your post now, "drwx" permissions is exactly that... Only the owner has access, everyone else is locked out.

    So, IMO you should be able to do anything you want with those directories on your flash drive after running "su".

    TSU

  9. #9

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I also thought of something like that (where are the times that we removed "write rings" from open tape reels?), but he says he does use rsync to backup to the drive.
    No, my Kingston is one of those that attaches to my keyring, just a piece of smooth steel, no flashing, no switches. Yes, I remember about the tapes.........dates us, doesn't it?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Permission, etc.

    Could you post the output of

    Code:
    cat /proc/mounts | grep media
    Also, upon inserting the usb stick, check dmesg and see if there are any error reported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •