Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: No e-mail notification

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    FlameBait wrote:
    >
    > Jim you are on the board am I correct?
    > Why do you seem so kicked back about this email notification situation?
    > It's issues like this board members should address because it is a
    > priority item.
    > People could come here and expect a notification with help on some
    > trivial item and not get an answer and just say that openSUSE is no good
    > because they don't get an answer.
    > openSUSE depends on SUSE too much if this stuff can't get fixed quickly.
    > If SUSE doesn't have the manpower or the contracted services provider
    > doesn't have the manpower it's time to break this dependency and move to
    > something openSUSE can exert more control over and where people will
    > have a sense of immediacy over this items.
    >
    > Sorry I am coming off so harsh but I really want openSUSE to grow and
    > flourish not slowly wither from stuff that should not be so complicated
    > it can't be quickly fixed like the way it's currently set up.
    >
    >

    No use blowing your steam off here.

    *Generally*, here is how IT support works:-

    If forums down are down then it is critical issue. It will be fixed
    immediately and maximum effort will be put in .

    Notification not appearing is "low" priority issue. Will be fixed on
    convenience basis. You even have a "work around" for this issue and
    hence the issue is considered a cosmetic issue.

    "The above cases are true in cases of even paid support"

    In case of openSUSE forums, if *IT support* for forums is done on a
    voluntary basis then it will take *some* time to get it fixed.

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    I am not blowing off steam.
    I am trying to see what needs to be done to get the issue addressed. By the board members of openSUSE at this point as I think it's reached that level at this point. The people managing the hardware that supports the forums are sabotaging openSUSE at this point.
    If it was one instance it would be one thing but it's been many instances of many things. They are not responsive.

    What is this "work around"? No email notification is no email notification. When it says you are subscribed to a thread/ Email notification turned on it should mean that.
    It shouldn't mean when the people paid to manage the servers get around to it.

    If I didn't care I'd just switch distros instead of trying to find out what is needed to get some action that will put an end to this ongoing situation or one thing after another regarding the forums.
    Tumbleweed

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    FlameBait wrote:
    >
    > vazhavandan;2588918 Wrote:
    >> FlameBait wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Jim you are on the board am I correct?
    >>> Why do you seem so kicked back about this email notification

    >> situation?
    >>> It's issues like this board members should address because it is a
    >>> priority item.
    >>> People could come here and expect a notification with help on some
    >>> trivial item and not get an answer and just say that openSUSE is no

    >> good
    >>> because they don't get an answer.
    >>> openSUSE depends on SUSE too much if this stuff can't get fixed

    >> quickly.
    >>> If SUSE doesn't have the manpower or the contracted services provider
    >>> doesn't have the manpower it's time to break this dependency and move

    >> to
    >>> something openSUSE can exert more control over and where people will
    >>> have a sense of immediacy over this items.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I am coming off so harsh but I really want openSUSE to grow and
    >>> flourish not slowly wither from stuff that should not be so

    >> complicated
    >>> it can't be quickly fixed like the way it's currently set up.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> No use blowing your steam off here.
    >>
    >> *Generally*, here is how IT support works:-
    >>
    >> If forums down are down then it is critical issue. It will be fixed
    >> immediately and maximum effort will be put in .
    >>
    >> Notification not appearing is "low" priority issue. Will be fixed on
    >> convenience basis. You even have a "work around" for this issue and
    >> hence the issue is considered a cosmetic issue.
    >>
    >> "The above cases are true in cases of even paid support"
    >>
    >> In case of openSUSE forums, if *IT support* for forums is done on a
    >> voluntary basis then it will take *some* time to get it fixed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> GNOME 3.6.2
    >> openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    >> Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    >
    > I am not blowing off steam.
    > I am trying to see what needs to be done to get the issue addressed. By
    > the board members of openSUSE at this point as I think it's reached that
    > level at this point. The people managing the hardware that supports the
    > forums are sabotaging openSUSE at this point.
    > If it was one instance it would be one thing but it's been many
    > instances of many things. They are not responsive.
    >
    > What is this "work around"? No email notification is no email
    > notification. When it says you are subscribed to a thread/ Email
    > notification turned on it should mean that.
    > It shouldn't mean when the people paid to manage the servers get around
    > to it.
    >
    > If I didn't care I'd just switch distros instead of trying to find out
    > what is needed to get some action that will put an end to this ongoing
    > situation or one thing after another regarding the forums.
    >
    >

    If there is a quick fix available then i am *sure* it should have been
    already applied. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,188
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    I am not blowing off steam.
    You need to know that it comes across that way with your aggressive languaging.

    I am trying to see what needs to be done to get the issue addressed. By the board members of openSUSE at this point as I think it's reached that level at this point. The people managing the hardware that supports the forums are sabotaging openSUSE at this point.
    If it was one instance it would be one thing but it's been many instances of many things. They are not responsive.
    That is pure assumption on your part - we have no idea about the effort that has gone in to trying to resolve this. However, lets keep this all in perspective. Email notifications are convenient (nice to have), but not essential. We can still check in from time to time for ourselves. That's the approach I'm taking.

    If I didn't care I'd just switch distros instead of trying to find out what is needed to get some action that will put an end to this ongoing situation or one thing after another regarding the forums.
    Your sentiments are understood completely

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    FlameBait wrote:

    > What is this "work around"? No email notification is no email
    > notification. When it says you are subscribed to a thread/ Email
    > notification turned on it should mean that.
    > It shouldn't mean when the people paid to manage the servers get around
    > to it.
    >


    workaround :-

    1.)Take a look at forum web based notification system :- After logging
    in click on the link named "Settings" on top right hand side. It will
    show you all the thread you have subscribed to and if the subscribed
    threads have any replies which you are yet to look at. Look for the
    "red" envelopes in the "settings" page. Once logged in click on the Url
    to see web based notifications. Url :-
    https://forums.opensuse.org/usercp.php

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    On 2013-10-02 05:24, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-10-02 04:31, vazhavandan wrote:
    >>
    >>> In case of openSUSE forums, if *IT support* for forums is done on a
    >>> voluntary basis then it will take *some* time to get it fixed.

    >>
    >> Perhaps SUSE should consider that the forums deserve dedicated paid
    >> staffers.

    >
    > It's not as simple as that. The hardware has to *go* somewhere, and for
    > SUSE, that's the data center - where it's backed up, managed, and the
    > hardware is under a support contract.


    You mean that the datacenter is not on SUSE premises?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,513
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    On Wed 02 Oct 2013 02:03:06 PM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2013-10-02 05:24, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-10-02 04:31, vazhavandan wrote:
    >>
    >>> In case of openSUSE forums, if *IT support* for forums is done on a
    >>> voluntary basis then it will take *some* time to get it fixed.

    >>
    >> Perhaps SUSE should consider that the forums deserve dedicated paid
    >> staffers.

    >
    > It's not as simple as that. The hardware has to *go* somewhere, and
    > for SUSE, that's the data center - where it's backed up, managed, and
    > the hardware is under a support contract.


    You mean that the datacenter is not on SUSE premises?

    Depends how you define SUSE, it's on TAG premises in Provo UTAH.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:03:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > On 2013-10-02 05:24, Jim Henderson wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2013-10-02 04:31, vazhavandan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In case of openSUSE forums, if *IT support* for forums is done on a
    >>>> voluntary basis then it will take *some* time to get it fixed.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps SUSE should consider that the forums deserve dedicated paid
    >>> staffers.

    >>
    >> It's not as simple as that. The hardware has to *go* somewhere, and
    >> for SUSE, that's the data center - where it's backed up, managed, and
    >> the hardware is under a support contract.

    >
    > You mean that the datacenter is not on SUSE premises?


    Of course it's on company premises.

    But how many companies have YOU worked for where the IT staff just let
    anybody not on IT staff access hardware in the data center?

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    FlameBait wrote:

    > What is this "work around"? No email notification is no email
    > notification. When it says you are subscribed to a thread/ Email
    > notification turned on it should mean that.
    > It shouldn't mean when the people paid to manage the servers get around
    > to it.
    >


    workaround :-

    1.)Take a look at forum web based notification system :- After logging
    in click on the link named "Settings" on top right hand side. It will
    show you all the thread you have subscribed to and if the subscribed
    threads have any replies which you are yet to look at. Look for the
    "red" envelopes in the "settings" page. Once logged in click on the Url
    to see web based notifications. Url :-
    https://forums.opensuse.org/usercp.php

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    Thank you for that tip.
    Tumbleweed

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    On 2013-10-02 17:26, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:03:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:


    > Of course it's on company premises.
    >
    > But how many companies have YOU worked for where the IT staff just let
    > anybody not on IT staff access hardware in the data center?


    My point was that there should be dedicated forum staff (paid) with full
    access to the machines. Ie, part of the IT staff.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No e-mail notification

    On 2013-10-02 05:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-10-01 19:56, FlameBait wrote:
    >>> Jim you are on the board am I correct?

    >>
    >> The moderators (staff) do not have access to the hardware. They are not,
    >> as far as I know, SUSE/Novell employees, so they don't have access to
    >> the premisses and can not do "things" like solving those problems.

    >
    > And even those on the premises don't have access - there's an IT
    > department that has to make the changes. So even if I was an employee
    > there, I wouldn't be given access to the systems directly.


    I'm sorry, I can't understand that kind of division.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •