Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: kde 4.11 - all fine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stoney Stanton - England
    Posts
    1,108

    Default kde 4.11 - all fine

    I am only posting as I have not seen any posts about kde 4.11 which was released this week.

    I updated using:

    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/411/openSUSE_12.3

    and it installed fine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,505

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    JFI

    updated likewise this morning,

    all ok on pc

    with laptop, on first reboot had lots of kde fatal errors,
    could see gui desktop but kbd and mouse not functional,
    manual rebooted to terminal and renamed dir /home/<username>/.kde/,
    rebooted ok to virgin desktop and no anomalies noticed there after
    (aya desktop theme had been selected on both machines,
    also same icons in system tray and in task manager)

    cheers

  3. #3
    Chris Maaskant NNTP User

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    keellambert wrote:

    > all ok on pc
    >
    > with laptop, on first reboot had lots of kde fatal errors,
    > could see gui desktop but kbd and mouse not functional,
    > manual rebooted to terminal and renamed dir /home/<username>/.kde/,
    > rebooted ok to virgin desktop and no anomalies noticed there after
    > (aya desktop theme had been selected on both machines,
    > also same icons in system tray and in task manager)


    That doesn't sound like "all ok" to me.

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,079

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:03:54 +0000, Chris Maaskant wrote:

    > keellambert wrote:
    >
    >> all ok on pc
    >>
    >> with laptop, on first reboot had lots of kde fatal errors,
    >> could see gui desktop but kbd and mouse not functional,
    >> manual rebooted to terminal and renamed dir /home/<username>/.kde/,
    >> rebooted ok to virgin desktop and no anomalies noticed there after (aya
    >> desktop theme had been selected on both machines,
    >> also same icons in system tray and in task manager)

    >
    > That doesn't sound like "all ok" to me.


    on PC, but not on laptop, that's how I read it.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Chris Maaskant NNTP User

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    Jim Henderson wrote:

    >> That doesn't sound like "all ok" to me.

    >
    > on PC, but not on laptop, that's how I read it.


    You're right :-)

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harare Zimbabwe
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    Updated to kde 4.11 on laptop and everything not ok. On restart desktop comes up, but then shortly disappears,then reappears and disappears again, then does not come back after that and the screen is just black. can run apps by using alt f2 keys combination, use ctrl esc or ctrl alt del.

    Any ideas of how to get the desktop back?
    Freedom is power, all i have to do is know how to use it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,505

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    on laptop when kde did not start,
    icon and theme selection was assumed as the problem

    changing the name of /home/<username>/.kde4/
    (oops, note: typing error in post #2)
    this forces kde to rebuild this directory

    this anomaly has been seen before with respect to
    AYA theme and pc's

    cheers

  8. #8

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    This is probably not fully up to date but as you can see there are still some things to do

    Schedules/KDE4/4.11 Feature Plan - KDE TechBase

    Rumour has it that the releases will be bug fixes and no new features now. If I remember correctly 4.13 should be the next fully stable release. Version 5 moves some of kde into Qt, -- as I understand it windows management and the library files concerned with that sort of thing.

    There used to be some information about on the web concerning running multiple versions of kde on the same machine. A quick look couldn't find it. I assume it's a case of running a selectable kde start up plus suitable directory name / path changes. A bit safer than just updating and hoping. One of the problems in this area is not knowing what changes disro packagers have made. This area touches on why OpenSuse often offers the most reliable KDE based distro. More inclined to say always really. The KDE people still seem to be suggesting that 4.10 is the best version for most users as well. This may seem odd to people who have been using windows but it's normal for KDE and many applications under Linux. Some people like testing buggy software, others like finding out what is actually causing the problems - fortunately there are sufficient people about who do this sort of thing to allow periodic "stable" releases.

    John
    -

  9. #9

    Default AW: Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    Quote Originally Posted by firestomper412 View Post
    Updated to kde 4.11 on laptop and everything not ok. On restart desktop comes up, but then shortly disappears,then reappears and disappears again, then does not come back after that and the screen is just black. can run apps by using alt f2 keys combination, use ctrl esc or ctrl alt del.

    Any ideas of how to get the desktop back?
    You seem to see this bug: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=829298

    Run plasma manually by typing Alt+F2 and entering "plasma-desktop". It should work then.
    You may have to kill it first though, so it doesn't try to restart by itself.

    Then remove the two launchers for the Webbrowser and Filemanager from your taskbar. It shouldn't crash then afterwards.

  10. #10

    Default Re: kde 4.11 - all fine

    Quote Originally Posted by John_82 View Post
    This is probably not fully up to date but as you can see there are still some things to do

    Schedules/KDE4/4.11 Feature Plan - KDE TechBase
    That's not always fully up-to-date or even complete...
    And those things there that are not done yet, won't ever be in any 4.11.x release, since those are bugfix only releases.

    Rumour has it that the releases will be bug fixes and no new features now. If I remember correctly 4.13 should be the next fully stable release.
    The next stable release will be 4.12 (well actually 4.11.1 ). But kde-workspace (plasma and so on) will be feature-frozen (only bugfixes allowed) from now on, until KDE5.
    And btw, kdelibs is in bugfix-only mode already for a while now...

    Version 5 moves some of kde into Qt, -- as I understand it windows management and the library files concerned with that sort of thing.
    I don't see why window management should be moved into Qt, I think you misunderstood something there...
    But yes, things from KDE do get moved to Qt all the time and especially now with Qt5.
    After all, kdelibs is just an extension to Qt in some areas.

    The KDE people still seem to be suggesting that 4.10 is the best version for most users as well.
    First time I hear of this and don't believe it.
    After all 4.11 was announced as long-term-support release (regarding kde-workspace).

    But of course at this point of time (with 4.11.0 being brand new), there could still be bugs (as with every other 4.x.0 release before).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •