Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can't run updates.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saline, Fife. Scotland
    Posts
    8

    Default Can't run updates.

    Just now when trying to install updates, using Apper, it fails with an error message, the detail of which is : "Installation aborted by user". I have run FSCK on all partitions, the results indicate no problems. What would I try next?
    Regards

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    Hello,

    open a terminal and test the following command:
    Code:
    sudo su
    zypper up
    When did you get the error-message (download, installation, after special packages)?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    On 08/09/2013 08:16 AM, AdaLovelace pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > open a terminal and test the following command:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > sudo su
    > zypper up
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > When did you get the error-message (download, installation, after
    > special packages)?
    >
    >

    Why are you doing

    <code>
    sudo su
    </code>

    There is no need.

    Simply run

    <code>
    su -
    </code>

    and don't forget the trailing "-" as it is very important to be using
    root's login environment and not your own.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    On 2013-08-09 14:43, Ken Schneider wrote:
    > Why are you doing
    >
    > <code>
    > sudo su
    > </code>
    >
    > There is no need.


    That's an ubuntu trick.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-08-09 14:43, Ken Schneider wrote:
    > Why are you doing
    >
    > <code>
    > sudo su
    > </code>
    >
    > There is no need.


    That's an ubuntu trick.
    You are right. I have learned that by a colleague, who is a Ubuntuuser.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,394

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdaLovelace View Post
    You are right. I have learned that by a colleague, who is a Ubuntuuser.
    I can assure you that
    Code:
    sudo sudo su
    does also do the trick. And you can make that still longer. Without much benifit though.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    SalineBoy wrote:
    >
    > Just now when trying to install updates, using Apper, it fails with an
    > error message, the detail of which is : "Installation aborted by user".
    > I have run FSCK on all partitions, the results indicate no problems.
    > What would I try next?
    > Regards
    >
    >

    open YaST and run "YaST Online Update"

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saline, Fife. Scotland
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Can't run updates.

    Hi
    I ran the following:

    rpm --rebuilddb
    zypper clean -a

    Then checked for updates. All installed without a problem.

    Many thanks to all

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saline, Fife. Scotland
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: [Can't run updates.]

    Now closed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •