Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Cannot Print from Okular

  1. #1

    Default Cannot Print from Okular

    Hi I am running openSUSE 12.2 with KDE desktop and Okular is the preferred application for opening pdf files.
    It works OK for reading the files on screen but if I go to File>Print Preview I get a blank screen with small logo in the corner and I cannot print.

    What settings must I tweak to be able to print from Okular please?
    Budgie2

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi I am running openSUSE 12.2 with KDE desktop and Okular is the preferred application for opening pdf files.
    It works OK for reading the files on screen but if I go to File>Print Preview I get a blank screen with small logo in the corner and I cannot print.

    What settings must I tweak to be able to print from Okular please?
    Budgie2
    Corrrection to the above. Plain documents do print OK but illustrated documents from the web do not. Sorry I didn't make it clear above.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Corrrection to the above. Plain documents do print OK but illustrated documents from the web do not. Sorry I didn't make it clear above.
    I find I am writing to myself once more. Now I cannot print pdf attachments to email.

    Can anybody please help?
    Budgie2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    The most important piece of information is missing from your post - what printer?
    is this for an HP printer using HPLIP?
    There are issues with the version of HPLIP included with openSUSE 12.2
    If that is the case then add the printing repo and update HPLIP

    Index of /repositories/Printing/openSUSE_12.2

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    On 2013-08-09 16:36, Budgie2 wrote:

    > I find I am writing to myself once more. Now I cannot print pdf
    > attachments to email.
    >
    > Can anybody please help?


    I do not use okular, sorry. If you try another viewer and it also fails,
    then I might help. Acrobat reader, evince, xv, gv...

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    On 2013-08-09 16:46, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > The most important piece of information is missing from your post - what
    > printer?


    I assume that he can print from other programs; thus the printer model
    should be irrelevant. :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    On 2013-08-09 16:53, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2013-08-09 16:36, Budgie2 wrote:
    >
    >> I find I am writing to myself once more. Now I cannot print pdf
    >> attachments to email.
    >>
    >> Can anybody please help?

    >
    > I do not use okular, sorry. If you try another viewer and it also fails,
    > then I might help. Acrobat reader, evince, xv, gv...


    Try something: print to postscript file. The open that file with gv. Is
    it correct?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    The most important piece of information is missing from your post - what printer?
    is this for an HP printer using HPLIP?
    There are issues with the version of HPLIP included with openSUSE 12.2
    If that is the case then add the printing repo and update HPLIP

    Index of /repositories/Printing/openSUSE_12.2
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Please forgive me I should have made it clear that the printer is an HP LaserJet 5M. I do have the Printer repo installed and the updates but will check again.

    The Print Preview does not work and all I get is a blank page image with the Okular logo in the top left hand corner of the blank page. Strange thing is it works for some pdf files. My guess is that the pdf files which do not work are from a windoze machine!

    Regards,
    Budgie2

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-08-09 16:36, Budgie2 wrote:

    > I find I am writing to myself once more. Now I cannot print pdf
    > attachments to email.
    >
    > Can anybody please help?


    I do not use okular, sorry. If you try another viewer and it also fails,
    then I might help. Acrobat reader, evince, xv, gv...

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    Hi there, just installed evince and it works a treat. Problem solved for now.
    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: Cannot Print from Okular

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-08-09 16:46, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > The most important piece of information is missing from your post - what
    > printer?


    I assume that he can print from other programs; thus the printer model
    should be irrelevant. :-?
    there was an issue with the release version of HPLIP/ghostscript in openSUSE 12.2 for a number of HP printer models - two of the many symptoms being, trouble printing pdf from okular and trouble printing images from certain applications (including okular and libreoffice).
    I forget which were specifically hplip related and which were ghostscript related.

    to the OP - it could be worth trying the switch repo function in yast to move all printing related files over to the print repo and see if that helps at all. It certainly is unlikely to cause you any grief.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •