Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

  1. #1

    Angry How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    Hello guys. I am kinda back to openSuse. I used it some years ago but abadoned it and replaced it with Ubuntu. Now I am forced to use opensuse because I need Autodesk Maya working on linux distro and opensuse is the one that is most suitable. Everything is great on this distro except gnome version. I absolutely hate new Gnome in openSuse. I remember opensuse with good old gnome. I am only using gnome and nothing else but anyway this new version does not suit my needs. I feel more confident and faster in old version. This new version is just slowing me down in my work. I hate Unity in Ubuntu so I installed fallbackmode. But here on opensuse I cant find any good solution to install gnome 2.32 or at least something similar to this version. Can you please guys here help me a bit to start please? I will be very thankfull. Please do not make me get used to this ugly gnome version

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    On 08/05/2013 03:16 PM, elementalfx wrote:
    > I need Autodesk Maya working on linux distro and opensuse is the
    > one that is most suitable


    i think SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP-something is probably
    exactly what you are looking for....i think it comes with a Gnome you
    will like and . . . well, just give it a try..

    free download and free 90 (i think) days of install support...and, it
    is LONG lasting, not likely you will be 'forced' to use Unity or the
    new Gnome which you hate for some years yet.

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Complaints

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    There are no GNOME 2 packages I am aware of, but there's MATE which is a fork of GNOME 2.Here is a link to the 1-click install for 12.3:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...te-desktop.ymp

    If you click on that link, all necessary packages should get installed automatically and you should be able to select it at the login screen.

    Note that I haven't tried MATE myself (I always preferred KDE to GNOME ) so cannot tell how good it works...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    If you want to install gnome 2.32 then you can use 11.4 repository.When I tried that it downgraded certain packages but is working fine.But make sure to back up the data in case if something goes wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    elementalfx wrote:
    >
    > Hello guys. I am kinda back to openSuse. I used it some years ago but
    > abadoned it and replaced it with Ubuntu. Now I am forced to use opensuse
    > because I need Autodesk Maya working on linux distro and opensuse is the
    > one that is most suitable. Everything is great on this distro except
    > gnome version. I absolutely hate new Gnome in openSuse. I remember
    > opensuse with good old gnome. I am only using gnome and nothing else but
    > anyway this new version does not suit my needs. I feel more confident
    > and faster in old version. This new version is just slowing me down in
    > my work. I hate Unity in Ubuntu so I installed fallbackmode. But here on
    > opensuse I cant find any good solution to install gnome 2.32 or at least
    > something similar to this version. Can you please guys here help me a
    > bit to start please? I will be very thankfull. Please do not make me get
    > used to this ugly gnome version
    >
    >

    If you want GNOME 2.X install then install openSUSE 11.4 . 11.4 is
    supported till July 2014 under evergreen project
    (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen)
    on other hand you can enable fallback on 12.3 using below procedure
    Alt+F2==> gnome-control-center ==>Details==> Graphics ==> Forced
    Fallback mode ==>logout ==>login

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    nishanth9042 wrote:
    >
    > If you want to install gnome 2.32 then you can use 11.4 repository.When
    > I tried that it downgraded certain packages but is working fine.
    >
    >

    It can be done at your own risk.It is not recommended to mix repos from
    different versions of openSUSE

    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    Thank you very much guys. You were all of you guys very helpfull with my problem. I think I will give a try for Suse Linux for Enterprise but in the meantime I have found out that there is some project called Gnome Ayatana . It looks the way exactly I would like. I tried to install it on 12.3 but it failed because of loads of dependencies. I decided that I will permanently use opensuse for my work but I will keep ubuntu as I have loads of usefull programs in there. I will try Suse Enterprise but I will definitely try that Gnome Ayatana project. Heh they even ported Unity from Ubuntu to openSuse . If nothing help I will come back here to try all your suggestions.

    I am very happy that you guys are helpfull, this is the community I was looking for.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,487
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    On Mon 05 Aug 2013 09:06:04 PM CDT, elementalfx wrote:


    Thank you very much guys. You were all of you guys very helpfull with my
    problem. I think I will give a try for Suse Linux for Enterprise but in
    the meantime I have found out that there is some project called 'Gnome
    Ayatana ' (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_Ayatana). It looks the
    way exactly I would like. I tried to install it on 12.3 but it failed
    because of loads of dependencies. I decided that I will permanently use
    opensuse for my work but I will keep ubuntu as I have loads of usefull
    programs in there. I will try Suse Enterprise but I will definitely try
    that Gnome Ayatana project. Heh they even ported Unity from Ubuntu to
    openSuse . If nothing help I will come back here to try all your
    suggestions.

    I am very happy that you guys are helpfull, this is the community I was
    looking for.


    Hi
    If you take the SLED route, we would be happy to see you over in
    http://forums.suse.co if you have issues

    If you upgraded to GNOME 3.8.3 from the stable repository, there is the
    classic-shell starting to take shape (via extensions)?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    up 8:41, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.19, 0.16
    CPU AMD E2-1800@1.70GHz | GPU Radeon HD 7340


  9. #9

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    Quote Originally Posted by elementalfx View Post
    Thank you very much guys. You were all of you guys very helpfull with my problem. I think I will give a try for Suse Linux for Enterprise but in the meantime I have found out that there is some project called Gnome Ayatana . It looks the way exactly I would like. I tried to install it on 12.3 but it failed because of loads of dependencies. I decided that I will permanently use opensuse for my work but I will keep ubuntu as I have loads of usefull programs in there. I will try Suse Enterprise but I will definitely try that Gnome Ayatana project. Heh they even ported Unity from Ubuntu to openSuse . If nothing help I will come back here to try all your suggestions.

    I am very happy that you guys are helpfull, this is the community I was looking for.
    Ayatana IS NOT GNOME2, it is "a collective effort to improve user experience started by Canonical", see here: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana

    IMHO MATE would be your best bet, which IS infact an updated GNOME2. Just some apps have been renamed...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to install Gnome 2.32 on opensuse 12.3?

    On 2013-08-05 20:03, vazhavandan wrote:
    > elementalfx wrote:


    >> Everything is great on this distro except
    >> gnome version. I absolutely hate new Gnome in openSuse.


    > If you want GNOME 2.X install then install openSUSE 11.4 . 11.4 is
    > supported till July 2014 under evergreen project
    > (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen)
    > on other hand you can enable fallback on 12.3 using below procedure
    > Alt+F2==> gnome-control-center ==>Details==> Graphics ==> Forced
    > Fallback mode ==>logout ==>login


    Another possibility is switching to XFCE. It uses GTK libraries, and
    many applications from Gnome, so it feels familiar.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •