Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    one of Geeko's servers
    Posts
    17

    Default Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Hi, as of april 24th, plasma desktop shell crashes at random days and times,

    My system is fully updated, and is running KDE 4.10.5R1

    this is the contents of plasma-desktop-20130803-124131.kcrash.txt:

    Code:
    Application: Plasma Desktop Shell (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7f5e58329780 (LWP 1909))]
    
    Thread 3 (Thread 0x7f5e37cf2700 (LWP 1912)):
    #0  0x00007f5e56c04964 in pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #1  0x00007f5e4b433307 in QTWTF::TCMalloc_PageHeap::scavengerThread (this=0x7f5e4b740660 <QTWTF::pageheap_memory>) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/wtf/FastMalloc.cpp:2359
    #2  0x00007f5e4b433339 in QTWTF::TCMalloc_PageHeap::runScavengerThread (context=<optimized out>) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/wtf/FastMalloc.cpp:1464
    #3  0x00007f5e56c00e0f in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #4  0x00007f5e559777dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6
    
    Thread 2 (Thread 0x7f5e2e2e9700 (LWP 1913)):
    #0  0x00007f5e56c02e25 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #1  0x00007f5e528f8a71 in g_mutex_lock () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #2  0x00007f5e528bb343 in g_main_context_prepare () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #3  0x00007f5e528bb9cb in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #4  0x00007f5e528bbbc4 in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #5  0x00007f5e56fc12e6 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents (this=0x7f5e240008e0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:426
    #6  0x00007f5e56f91adf in QEventLoop::processEvents (this=this@entry=0x7f5e2e2e8dd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:149
    #7  0x00007f5e56f91d68 in QEventLoop::exec (this=0x7f5e2e2e8dd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:204
    #8  0x00007f5e56e940f0 in QThread::exec (this=<optimized out>) at thread/qthread.cpp:542
    #9  0x00007f5e56f7229f in QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::run (this=0x1f85800) at io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify.cpp:256
    #10 0x00007f5e56e970cc in QThreadPrivate::start (arg=0x1f85800) at thread/qthread_unix.cpp:338
    #11 0x00007f5e56c00e0f in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #12 0x00007f5e559777dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6
    
    Thread 1 (Thread 0x7f5e58329780 (LWP 1909)):
    [KCrash Handler]
    #6  0x00007f5e56fa6f7e in QMetaObject::addGuard (ptr=0x7fff17c941d0) at kernel/qobject.cpp:400
    #7  0x00007f5e4ac39bfe in QPointer (p=..., this=0x7fff17c941d0) at ../../src/corelib/kernel/qpointer.h:62
    #8  takeAt (i=3, this=0x2685468) at ../../src/corelib/tools/qlist.h:486
    #9  QDeclarativeRepeater::itemsRemoved (this=0x26851b0, index=3, count=<optimized out>) at graphicsitems/qdeclarativerepeater.cpp:407
    #10 0x00007f5e56fa829f in QMetaObject::activate (sender=0x2643180, m=<optimized out>, local_signal_index=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fff17c94350) at kernel/qobject.cpp:3548
    #11 0x00007f5e4ad7eaef in QDeclarativeVisualModel::itemsRemoved (this=<optimized out>, _t1=3, _t2=1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativevisualitemmodel_p.cpp:161
    #12 0x00007f5e4ac50b2c in QDeclarativeVisualDataModel::_q_itemsRemoved (this=0x2643180, index=3, count=1) at graphicsitems/qdeclarativevisualitemmodel.cpp:1314
    #13 0x00007f5e4ad7f121 in QDeclarativeVisualDataModel::qt_static_metacall (_o=0x7fff17c941d0, _c=QMetaObject::ResetProperty, _id=16722784, _a=0x1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativevisualitemmodel_p.cpp:401
    #14 0x00007f5e56fa829f in QMetaObject::activate (sender=0x2b3e260, m=<optimized out>, local_signal_index=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fff17c94590) at kernel/qobject.cpp:3548
    #15 0x00007f5e4ad7357f in QListModelInterface::itemsRemoved (this=<optimized out>, _t1=3, _t2=1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qlistmodelinterface_p.cpp:114
    #16 0x00007f5e4abbc5bf in QDeclarativeListModel::remove (this=0x2b3e260, index=3) at util/qdeclarativelistmodel.cpp:402
    #17 0x00007f5e4ad7214b in QDeclarativeListModel::qt_static_metacall (_o=0x7fff17c941d0, _o@entry=0x2b3e260, _c=QMetaObject::ResetProperty, _c@entry=QMetaObject::InvokeMetaMethod, _id=16722784, _id@entry=2, _a=0x1, _a@entry=0x7fff17c94820) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativelistmodel_p.cpp:76
    #18 0x00007f5e4ad7224f in QDeclarativeListModel::qt_metacall (this=0x2b3e260, _c=QMetaObject::InvokeMetaMethod, _id=2, _a=0x7fff17c94820) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativelistmodel_p.cpp:123
    #19 0x00007f5e4ad1cd08 in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::callMethod (this=this@entry=0x2724090, object=object@entry=0x2b3e260, index=10, returnType=<optimized out>, argCount=<optimized out>, argTypes=0x7fff17c94ae0, ctxt=ctxt@entry=0x7f5e2cfc92a8) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:970
    #20 0x00007f5e4ad1e976 in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::callPrecise (this=0x2724090, object=0x2b3e260, data=..., ctxt=0x7f5e2cfc92a8) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:944
    #21 0x00007f5e4ad1f2ab in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::call (this=<optimized out>, o=<optimized out>, ctxt=<optimized out>) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:917
    #22 0x00007f5e4b4a9593 in QScript::DeclarativeObjectDelegate::call (exec=<optimized out>, callee=0x7f5e1dcec380, thisValue=..., args=...) at bridge/qscriptdeclarativeobject.cpp:154
    #23 0x00007f5e4b3a5d70 in QTJSC::NativeFuncWrapper::operator() (this=0x7fff17c94c30, exec=0x7f5e2cfc92a8, jsobj=0x7f5e1dcec380, thisValue=..., argList=...) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/runtime/CallData.cpp:46
    #24 0x00007f5e4b382fca in QTJSC::cti_op_call_NotJSFunction (args=0x7fff17c94c80) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/jit/JITStubs.cpp:1780
    #25 0x00007f5e1cc9d338 in ?? ()
    #26 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
    why does it segfault?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by vCat View Post
    Hi, as of april 24th, plasma desktop shell crashes at random days and times,

    My system is fully updated, and is running KDE 4.10.5R1

    this is the contents of plasma-desktop-20130803-124131.kcrash.txt:

    Code:
    Application: Plasma Desktop Shell (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7f5e58329780 (LWP 1909))]
    
    Thread 3 (Thread 0x7f5e37cf2700 (LWP 1912)):
    #0  0x00007f5e56c04964 in pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #1  0x00007f5e4b433307 in QTWTF::TCMalloc_PageHeap::scavengerThread (this=0x7f5e4b740660 <QTWTF::pageheap_memory>) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/wtf/FastMalloc.cpp:2359
    #2  0x00007f5e4b433339 in QTWTF::TCMalloc_PageHeap::runScavengerThread (context=<optimized out>) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/wtf/FastMalloc.cpp:1464
    #3  0x00007f5e56c00e0f in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #4  0x00007f5e559777dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6
    
    Thread 2 (Thread 0x7f5e2e2e9700 (LWP 1913)):
    #0  0x00007f5e56c02e25 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #1  0x00007f5e528f8a71 in g_mutex_lock () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #2  0x00007f5e528bb343 in g_main_context_prepare () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #3  0x00007f5e528bb9cb in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #4  0x00007f5e528bbbc4 in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #5  0x00007f5e56fc12e6 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents (this=0x7f5e240008e0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:426
    #6  0x00007f5e56f91adf in QEventLoop::processEvents (this=this@entry=0x7f5e2e2e8dd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:149
    #7  0x00007f5e56f91d68 in QEventLoop::exec (this=0x7f5e2e2e8dd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:204
    #8  0x00007f5e56e940f0 in QThread::exec (this=<optimized out>) at thread/qthread.cpp:542
    #9  0x00007f5e56f7229f in QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::run (this=0x1f85800) at io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify.cpp:256
    #10 0x00007f5e56e970cc in QThreadPrivate::start (arg=0x1f85800) at thread/qthread_unix.cpp:338
    #11 0x00007f5e56c00e0f in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    #12 0x00007f5e559777dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6
    
    Thread 1 (Thread 0x7f5e58329780 (LWP 1909)):
    [KCrash Handler]
    #6  0x00007f5e56fa6f7e in QMetaObject::addGuard (ptr=0x7fff17c941d0) at kernel/qobject.cpp:400
    #7  0x00007f5e4ac39bfe in QPointer (p=..., this=0x7fff17c941d0) at ../../src/corelib/kernel/qpointer.h:62
    #8  takeAt (i=3, this=0x2685468) at ../../src/corelib/tools/qlist.h:486
    #9  QDeclarativeRepeater::itemsRemoved (this=0x26851b0, index=3, count=<optimized out>) at graphicsitems/qdeclarativerepeater.cpp:407
    #10 0x00007f5e56fa829f in QMetaObject::activate (sender=0x2643180, m=<optimized out>, local_signal_index=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fff17c94350) at kernel/qobject.cpp:3548
    #11 0x00007f5e4ad7eaef in QDeclarativeVisualModel::itemsRemoved (this=<optimized out>, _t1=3, _t2=1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativevisualitemmodel_p.cpp:161
    #12 0x00007f5e4ac50b2c in QDeclarativeVisualDataModel::_q_itemsRemoved (this=0x2643180, index=3, count=1) at graphicsitems/qdeclarativevisualitemmodel.cpp:1314
    #13 0x00007f5e4ad7f121 in QDeclarativeVisualDataModel::qt_static_metacall (_o=0x7fff17c941d0, _c=QMetaObject::ResetProperty, _id=16722784, _a=0x1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativevisualitemmodel_p.cpp:401
    #14 0x00007f5e56fa829f in QMetaObject::activate (sender=0x2b3e260, m=<optimized out>, local_signal_index=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fff17c94590) at kernel/qobject.cpp:3548
    #15 0x00007f5e4ad7357f in QListModelInterface::itemsRemoved (this=<optimized out>, _t1=3, _t2=1) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qlistmodelinterface_p.cpp:114
    #16 0x00007f5e4abbc5bf in QDeclarativeListModel::remove (this=0x2b3e260, index=3) at util/qdeclarativelistmodel.cpp:402
    #17 0x00007f5e4ad7214b in QDeclarativeListModel::qt_static_metacall (_o=0x7fff17c941d0, _o@entry=0x2b3e260, _c=QMetaObject::ResetProperty, _c@entry=QMetaObject::InvokeMetaMethod, _id=16722784, _id@entry=2, _a=0x1, _a@entry=0x7fff17c94820) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativelistmodel_p.cpp:76
    #18 0x00007f5e4ad7224f in QDeclarativeListModel::qt_metacall (this=0x2b3e260, _c=QMetaObject::InvokeMetaMethod, _id=2, _a=0x7fff17c94820) at .moc/release-shared/moc_qdeclarativelistmodel_p.cpp:123
    #19 0x00007f5e4ad1cd08 in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::callMethod (this=this@entry=0x2724090, object=object@entry=0x2b3e260, index=10, returnType=<optimized out>, argCount=<optimized out>, argTypes=0x7fff17c94ae0, ctxt=ctxt@entry=0x7f5e2cfc92a8) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:970
    #20 0x00007f5e4ad1e976 in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::callPrecise (this=0x2724090, object=0x2b3e260, data=..., ctxt=0x7f5e2cfc92a8) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:944
    #21 0x00007f5e4ad1f2ab in QDeclarativeObjectMethodScriptClass::call (this=<optimized out>, o=<optimized out>, ctxt=<optimized out>) at qml/qdeclarativeobjectscriptclass.cpp:917
    #22 0x00007f5e4b4a9593 in QScript::DeclarativeObjectDelegate::call (exec=<optimized out>, callee=0x7f5e1dcec380, thisValue=..., args=...) at bridge/qscriptdeclarativeobject.cpp:154
    #23 0x00007f5e4b3a5d70 in QTJSC::NativeFuncWrapper::operator() (this=0x7fff17c94c30, exec=0x7f5e2cfc92a8, jsobj=0x7f5e1dcec380, thisValue=..., argList=...) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/runtime/CallData.cpp:46
    #24 0x00007f5e4b382fca in QTJSC::cti_op_call_NotJSFunction (args=0x7fff17c94c80) at ../3rdparty/javascriptcore/JavaScriptCore/jit/JITStubs.cpp:1780
    #25 0x00007f5e1cc9d338 in ?? ()
    #26 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
    why does it segfault?
    So I must assume this is openSUSE 12.3, correct? Why not tell us more about your hardware and in particular, more about your video system. What kernel version do you use? This terminal command will let you find out:

    Code:
    uname -r
    The follwing terminal command will let you sort installed applications back and before April 24 to see what was installed then:

    Code:
    rpm -q --all --last
    This command and a lot more is part of my bash script Zypper Command: Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System - Version 2.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    And for some folks with video issues, updating the kernel has been known to help: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    one of Geeko's servers
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    This is the kernel version that i'm running: 3.7.10-1.16-desktop


    Output of rpm -q --all --last: rpm -q --all --last - Pastebin.com

    IDT is GMT+3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by vCat View Post
    This is the kernel version that i'm running: 3.7.10-1.16-desktop


    Output of rpm -q --all --last: rpm -q --all --last - Pastebin.com

    IDT is GMT+3
    This is most curious as you skip April entirely and it makes me wonder if you had a crash of some sort or a power failure then:

    Code:
    libilmbase6-1.0.2-11.1.2.x86_64               Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:47 PM IDT
    
    libcdio13-0.83.git-4.1.2.x86_64               Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:35 PM IDT
    libGLEW1_7-1.7.0.git20111123.2145-3.1.2.x86_64 Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:31 PM IDT
    bootsplash-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11.6.15.noarch Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:14 PM IDT
    gpg-pubkey-3dbdc284-4be1884d                  Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:06 PM IDT
    gpg-pubkey-307e3d54-4be01a65                  Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:05 PM IDT
    xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy-2.9.1-22.1.2.x86_64 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:44 PM IDT
    xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd-1.3.0_20100512_80ba041-11.1.2.x86_64 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:43 PM IDT
    libdconf0-0.12.1-2.5.1.x86_64                 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:21 PM IDT
    Did you perform an upgrade from 12.2 or some other version back then? Sorry, but I don't understand "IDT is GMT+3", is that your video? I still would give a new kernel, such as 3.10 a try to see if it might help.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    one of Geeko's servers
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    This is most curious as you skip April entirely and it makes me wonder if you had a crash of some sort or a power failure then:

    Code:
    libilmbase6-1.0.2-11.1.2.x86_64               Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:47 PM IDT
    
    libcdio13-0.83.git-4.1.2.x86_64               Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:35 PM IDT
    libGLEW1_7-1.7.0.git20111123.2145-3.1.2.x86_64 Fri 03 May 2013 03:37:31 PM IDT
    bootsplash-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11.6.15.noarch Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:14 PM IDT
    gpg-pubkey-3dbdc284-4be1884d                  Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:06 PM IDT
    gpg-pubkey-307e3d54-4be01a65                  Fri 03 May 2013 03:36:05 PM IDT
    xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy-2.9.1-22.1.2.x86_64 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:44 PM IDT
    xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd-1.3.0_20100512_80ba041-11.1.2.x86_64 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:43 PM IDT
    libdconf0-0.12.1-2.5.1.x86_64                 Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:48:21 PM IDT
    Did you perform an upgrade from 12.2 or some other version back then? Sorry, but I don't understand "IDT is GMT+3", is that your video? I still would give a new kernel, such as 3.10 a try to see if it might help.

    Thank You,
    As for why i skip April, I don't know why did that happen.
    IDT is UTC +3 - my time zone, as for my video card, it is an EVGA GeForce 210

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by vCat View Post
    As for why i skip April, I don't know why did that happen.
    IDT is UTC +3 - my time zone, as for my video card, it is an EVGA GeForce 210
    So for an nVIDIA video card, I would suggest a move up to kernel 3.10, using the open source driver or kernel 3.9 if you wish to use the nVIDIA proprietary video driver. The missing time of April does suggest something did happen then, but I do not know what.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    one of Geeko's servers
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So for an nVIDIA video card, I would suggest a move up to kernel 3.10, using the open source driver or kernel 3.9 if you wish to use the nVIDIA proprietary video driver. The missing time of April does suggest something did happen then, but I do not know what.

    Thank You,
    Sorry for asking, but what does a newer kernel do for my issue?
    This is a new system, purchased it on May 2nd 2013, so I can't think of something that occurred during that time frame

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Quote Originally Posted by vCat View Post
    Sorry for asking, but what does a newer kernel do for my issue?
    This is a new system, purchased it on May 2nd 2013, so I can't think of something that occurred during that time frame
    Open source video drivers start with the kernel. While other files are also used and are important, a kernel upgrade can often improve video performance. Further, I had issues with the original kernel 3.7 with nVIDIA and video and one of your error messages elude to a video issue. On a fully updated system having such a problem, it is worth trying kernel 3.10 to see if the issue goes away. The methods to do so in my blog indicate that you can try out a newer kernel while keeping your old ones, to see if it might help.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    one of Geeko's servers
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Plasma desktop shell segfaults at random days and times

    Hi, kdeinit4 isn't bombing on me (lets hope i don't jinx it) anymore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •