Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Two users at login, why?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50

    Default Two users at login, why?

    Installed 12.3 + Gnome yesterday and I wonder why I have two active users on my system.
    I have no terminals open. Output:

    primal@linux-i35k:~> w
    13:04:01 up 29 min, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.09
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    primal :1 localhost 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s 0.06s /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    primal :1 : 1 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s 0.06s /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    primal@linux-i35k:~> who
    primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (localhost)
    primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (:1)

    Can anyone help me out with this? I've never seen it before.

    /Zuchov

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,162
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by zuchov View Post
    Installed 12.3 + Gnome yesterday and I wonder why I have two active users on my system.
    I have no terminals open.
    Here, I get:
    Code:
    % w
     08:53:42 up 14:13,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.09
    USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
    rickert  :0       console          Thu18   ?xdm?  22:03   0.05s /usr/bin/ck-lau
    rickert  pts/0                     Thu18    8:10m  0.08s  0.01s /bin/csh   
    rickert  pts/3                     Thu18   14:12m  0.00s 15.89s kdeinit4: kded4
    rickert  pts/1                     Thu18   12:35m  0.01s  0.01s /bin/csh   
    rickert  pts/2
    It is easier to read when you use code tags.

    Those users are all me. In your case, they are all you. There is nothing to be concerned about.

    Here's how it works:

    There a file "/var/run/utmp" which is a small database of active users and the associated terminal.

    When I do a graphic login, that adds an entry (the one with the ":0" in the TTY column).
    As KDE starts, it apparently allocates a pseudo-terminal ("/dev/pts3") and adds a utmp entry for that.

    I am also running Konsole, with three terminals (command line windows). There's a utmp entry for each of those.

    The "w" command is just listing "utmp" entries. A system broadcast notification will send a message for each utmp entry. So, for example, if there's a power interruption my UPS software sends a message. I get a copy of that message in each of those three terminal screens, and I get one from the KDE notifier.

    I probably should go back to using "xterm" instead of "Konsole". With "xterm" there's a command line option "-ut" which tells it not to write a utmp entry. On the other hand, power outages are rare enough that the annoyance level isn't too bad.

    I hope I have sufficiently explained what you are seeing, and what it is used for.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  3. #3

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    On 08/02/2013 09:26 AM, zuchov pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Installed 12.3 + Gnome yesterday and I wonder why I have two active
    > users on my system.
    > I have no terminals open. Output:
    >
    > primal@linux-i35k:~> w
    > 13:04:01 up 29 min, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.09
    > USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    > primal :1 localhost 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s 0.06s
    > /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id
    > /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    > primal :1 : 1 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s
    > 0.06s /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id
    > /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    > primal@linux-i35k:~> who
    > primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (localhost)
    > primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (:1)
    >
    > Can anyone help me out with this? I've never seen it before.
    >
    > /Zuchov
    >
    >


    it is not two users, it is one user with two processes.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    It is easier to read when you use code tags.

    -Agree!

    Those users are all me. In your case, they are all you. There is nothing to be concerned about.

    - I hope not :-)

    Here's how it works:

    There a file "/var/run/utmp" which is a small database of active users and the associated terminal.

    When I do a graphic login, that adds an entry (the one with the ":0" in the TTY column).

    - Yes.

    As KDE starts, it apparently allocates a pseudo-terminal ("/dev/pts3") and adds a utmp entry for that.

    I am also running Konsole, with three terminals (command line windows). There's a utmp entry for each of those.

    The "w" command is just listing "utmp" entries. A system broadcast notification will send a message for each utmp entry. So, for example, if there's a power interruption my UPS software sends a message. I get a copy of that message in each of those three terminal screens, and I get one from the KDE notifier.

    - Thank You very much for this info!

    I probably should go back to using "xterm" instead of "Konsole". With "xterm" there's a command line option "-ut" which tells it not to write a utmp entry. On the other hand, power outages are rare enough that the annoyance level isn't too bad.

    - Bad habit of using 'guake', my fault. This is the xterm output:

    primal@linux-i35k:~> w
    16:17:47 up 3:43, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.11
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    primal :2 localhost 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
    primal :2 : 2 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
    primal pts/2 :2 16:17 2.00s 0.01s 0.00s w (my xterm)[/QUOTE]


    What bothers me is the two gdm, I've never seen it. Standard for gnome 3.6+??


    I hope I have sufficiently explained what you are seeing, and what it is used for.
    - I am very thankful for Your fast reply Sir!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 08/02/2013 09:26 AM, zuchov pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Installed 12.3 + Gnome yesterday and I wonder why I have two active
    > users on my system.
    > I have no terminals open. Output:
    >
    > primal@linux-i35k:~> w
    > 13:04:01 up 29 min, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.09
    > USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    > primal :1 localhost 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s 0.06s
    > /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id
    > /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    > primal :1 : 1 13:03 ?xdm? 27.99s
    > 0.06s /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id
    > /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_1
    > primal@linux-i35k:~> who
    > primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (localhost)
    > primal :1 2013-08-02 13:03 (:1)
    >
    > Can anyone help me out with this? I've never seen it before.
    >
    > /Zuchov
    >
    >


    it is not two users, it is one user with two processes.
    Yes, sloppy written by me, but I am confused by having those two for gdm at login! Normal?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,718

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by zuchov View Post
    -Agree!
    ....
    primal@linux-i35k:~> w
    16:17:47 up 3:43, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.11
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    primal :2 localhost 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
    primal :2 : 2 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
    primal pts/2 :2 16:17 2.00s 0.01s 0.00s w (my xterm)
    When you agree that using CODE tags is better, why then don't you do that?
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you agree that using CODE tags is better, why then don't you do that?
    Code:
    primal@linux-i35k:~> w
     16:17:47 up 3:43, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.11
     USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
     primal :2 localhost 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
     primal :2 : 2 15:23 ?xdm? 5:36 0.05s /usr/lib/gdm/gd
     primal pts/2 :2 16:17 2.00s 0.01s 0.00s w (my xterm)
    Sorry for the inconvenience - I'm dizzy for real, fatal heat in Sweden!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,718

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Same temperature problems here

    Now tomorrow or so, when your climate returned more or less to normall, please study these CODE tags once more. What you did now, I assume, is copy/paste of the text already posted. That does not help much to keep the layout. You can see how it should look like in nrickert's post. You should copy/paste directly from the terminal window in between the CODE tags.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,162
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by zuchov View Post
    Yes, sloppy written by me, but I am confused by having those two for gdm at login! Normal?
    Yes, I think that's normal. I rarely use gdm -- I prefer kdm. But I do occasionally switch to gdm for testing, and I seem to recall seeing two utmp entries.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Two users at login, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, I think that's normal. I rarely use gdm -- I prefer kdm. But I do occasionally switch to gdm for testing, and I seem to recall seeing two utmp entries.
    Thank You nrickert and everyone for all Your (quick) respons. Think that's a wrap on this one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •