Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows like file explorer?

Default Windows like file explorer?

Hello all.

I dont know if im just being stupid here and missing something really obvious or what, but im looking to get my fire explorer to look like the file explorer from Windows! At the moment when I go Start>Computer>Home then I get my files open in Konquerer and everythings in odd sized blocks and positions.

Im using 12.3, btw.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Windows like file explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by MrThom View Post
    Hello all.

I dont know if im just being stupid here and missing something really obvious or what, but im looking to get my fire explorer to look like the file explorer from Windows! At the moment when I go Start>Computer>Home then I get my files open in Konquerer and everythings in odd sized blocks and positions.

Im using 12.3, btw.

Thanks!
    Your choices, based on Desktop loaded are (The Alt-F2 command is shown if not found in your menu):

Code:
    KDE Desktop: Dolphin (/usr/bin/dolphin), Konqueror (/usr/bin/konqueror) & Krusader (/usr/bin/krusader, not installed by default)
    GNOME Desktop: Nautilus (/usr/bin/nautilus)
    Terminal: Midnight Commander (mc from terminal and no desktop is required)
    XFCE Desktop: Thunar (/usr/bin/thunar)
    LXDE Desktop: PCMan (/usr/bin/pcmanfm)
    You can install the Gnome Nautilus from YaST and use it in KDE. Same goes for any of the ones listed above. I use KDE and Dolphin mostly, but you need to expand away from Windows now that you use Linux.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Windows like file explorer?

If on KDE I will second Konqueror. It was always the best file manager and universal viewing application.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

MrThom wrote:
    >
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I dont know if im just being stupid here and missing something really
    > obvious or what, but im looking to get my fire explorer to look like the
    > file explorer from Windows! At the moment when I go Start>Computer>Home
    > then I get my files open in Konquerer and everythings in odd sized
    > blocks and positions.
    >
    > Im using 12.3, btw.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >

I you are looking for c: , D : and E: then you are barking up the wrong
    tree. You get "Home" under which some of the below folders exist where
    you can store your documents , music etc in appropriate directories and
    folders.

This is very helpful not only to organize stuff but applications like
    music players will automatically import and index mp3s from your Music
    folder
    Code:
    /home/<profileName>/Audio
    /home/<profileName>/Audiobooks
    /home/<profileName>/bin
    /home/<profileName>/Desktop
    /home/<profileName>/Documents
    /home/<profileName>/Downloads
    /home/<profileName>/Music
    /home/<profileName>/Pictures
    /home/<profileName>/Podcasts
    /home/<profileName>/Public
    /home/<profileName>/public_html
    /home/dartmouth/Templates
    /home/dartmouth/Videos
    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

Quote Originally Posted by MrThom View Post
    Hello all.

Im using 12.3, btw.

Thanks!
    the default file manager in KDE is Dolphin.
    Trying to make this look like windows explorer would be a step backwards in almost every respect (in my opinion).
    Have you tried Dolphin or only Konqueror?

Ive not tried Dolphin. Im looking for it on my computer but I just cant seem to find it or how to open it. I even tried to install it via the packages but it wouldnt install. I agree that keeping to the windows way of doing things wont really work with Linux, however, im still learning the ropes and without a good file manager/browser its like losing a limb when im trying to install or search through directories. Im curious as to why people prefer Konquerer though. Why is that? Also, where do I find Dolphin? How do I set it as default file explorer? Regards.

Dolphin is installed by default. you will find it in the menu in system- file managers

Blog Entries

Dolphin is the default file browser as far as I am aware. If you are clicking on the My Computer icon that is there it will open Konquerer and display the system info. You should have a blue icon in the taskbar that looks like a filing cabinet. This is Dolphin.

It is also in your "start" menu as a favourite. It's called File Manager here and has the same icon. You can also start it by hitting alt+F2 and typing dolphin in the krunner search window that will open up at the top of your screen.
    "To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."

BTW you can pit it in a more convenient location by first unlocking widgets (right click desktop select unlock widgets) dragging the menu item to the desk top or panel bar then re lock widgets

Default AW: Re: Windows like file explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    BTW you can pit it in a more convenient location by first unlocking widgets (right click desktop select unlock widgets) dragging the menu item to the desk top or panel bar then re lock widgets
    True, but on a default openSUSE installation the panel (the taskmanager to be more precise) should already contain a launcher for the filemanager (whatever is set as default in "Configure Desktop").

Anyway, what I _think_ the OP is looking for is how to switch dolphin or konqueror to "details" view:

Btw. by default Konqueror and Dolphin remember the view setting for each folder separately. So you may want to set "Use common properties for all folders" in Settings->"Configure Konqueror"->"File Management"->"General" (similar for dolphin).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast