USB notification fails after opening once

In the Gnome interface of SuSE 12.3, after plugging in a USB memory device (haven’t yet tested other devices, such as ext HD), the notification area displays the icon, as expected, and when clicked on, gives the expected menuette allowing one to open or eject the device. However, this will only work* once*. Thereafter, the icon in the lower notification area is effectively dead, and does nothing other than become brighter when clicked on. Am I missing something here, or is this a minor, but annoying bug?

So since it does work once and does work all of the time in KDE, can we ask if you are fully up-to-date at present? You could open up terminal and use these terminal commands to make sure:

sudo zypper refresh

sudo zypper update

I would log out and in or just restart and try the issue again. Come back and tell us of your success. For all things zypper, take a look at my bash script on the subject here:

Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System - Version 2.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Now, I have to confess that I initially had little faith that refreshing my repositories and updating the software would have much effect, but darned if it didn’t do the trick. Now, instead of popping up only once per session, the icon remains active throughout the session and works fine with both static USB memory drives and external disk. Thank you very much for your insightful advice.

Steve I was very happy to help. The truth is, when an openSUSE release goes out, it can contain bugs of one sort or another. There are numerous people who help find and eliminate them but openSUSE has an eight month cycle time and tries to include the very latest versions of each included application. That can lead to issues being present after a new installation when not enough time had elapsed from the new application version’s inclusion and the release date of openSUSE. Doing an update after a new install is just so simple, it should be required, but as most things in Linux, it is not.

Thanks for telling us your story and of your success.

Thank You for using openSUSE,

I just noticed that the lower-panel icon for a mounted external drive is again self-disabling after its first appearance. This time, the expedient of refreshing and updating had no effect. I suspect we’re looking at a regression here, albeit a minor one. Call it a “regressionette”.

Let me say that I have seen something like this on disks with lots of partitions or something like a SD boot disk for another Linux PC (Think Pi). It shows up at first and I have found if you open it up then in a file manager, does keep working, but inaction may cause the chance to mount disappear later and require a reinsertion. You certainly could consider a Novell Bugzilla Report after a search on the subject there.

Thank You,