xscreensaver Failing in 12.3

Just installed 12.3 using the nvidia proprietary driver installed with one-click, and I can’t get xscreensaver to run anymore. The installation itself was plain vanilla, just accepted the KDE desktop and default software settings. After installing xscreensaver and dependencies with YaST, attempting to run xscreensaver-demo brings up the control window with all options disabled, and the following message on the console:

xscreensaver-demo:1928): libglade-WARNING **: Could not load support for `gnome': libgnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed libgnome, but I get the same message. Considered installing libgnome32 (I’m on a 64-bit system) but the list of dependencies was huge, so I backed away from that. I haven’t installed any Gnome-ish stuff other than the first library, and don’t know why xscreensaver-demo would be looking for it to begin with.

The KDE screensaver uses the same screensavers, but I can’t configure it to switch savers randomly ever few minutes, as I can with xscreensaver, and there are other aspects of it that I can’t control as I can using the .xscreensaver settings.

In configure desktop-screen locker you should see a random selection

Note that I used 11.4 .kde4 so it may be a leftover.

I’m not interested in using the KDE screensaver, which has limited functionality compared to the native xscreensaver capabilities.

Agreed but they may not be compatible anymore. I really don’t know stopped useing xscreensaver in 10.3 because of problems with it.