Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

  1. #11

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    Thanks.

    Code:
    #dmesg 
    [  155.780997] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
    [  155.896830] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8178
    [  155.896833] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [  155.896836] usb 1-5: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
    [  155.896838] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: Realtek
    [  155.896840] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
    [  155.897493] rtl8192cu: Chip version 0x11
    [  155.975752] rtl8192cu: MAC address: 00:e0:4c:12:e4:40
    [  155.975757] rtl8192cu: Board Type 0
    [  155.975998] rtlwifi: rx_max_size 15360, rx_urb_num 8, in_ep 1
    [  155.976029] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
    [  155.976204] ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'rtl_rc'
    [  155.977366] rtlwifi: wireless switch is on
    [  156.141230] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay!
    [  156.174258] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05
    [  156.549498] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    On 07/27/2013 01:56 PM, simosito wrote:
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > #dmesg
    > [ 155.780997] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
    > [ 155.896830] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8178
    > [ 155.896833] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    > [ 155.896836] usb 1-5: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
    > [ 155.896838] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: Realtek
    > [ 155.896840] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
    > [ 155.897493] rtl8192cu: Chip version 0x11
    > [ 155.975752] rtl8192cu: MAC address: 00:e0:4c:12:e4:40
    > [ 155.975757] rtl8192cu: Board Type 0
    > [ 155.975998] rtlwifi: rx_max_size 15360, rx_urb_num 8, in_ep 1
    > [ 155.976029] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
    > [ 155.976204] ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'rtl_rc'
    > [ 155.977366] rtlwifi: wireless switch is on
    > [ 156.141230] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay!
    > [ 156.174258] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05
    > [ 156.549498] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready


    Why is the link not ready? Now that this thread is in the wireless for
    um, you need to read the stickies. There is a lot of good info there.


  3. #13

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    I read the sticky, as suggested. As far as I can tell I have done all the tests that are written there...

    I'm sorry to be such a pain in the alpaca, but I have zero experience with WiFi and 0.1 with internet-related linux stuff. Always used ethernet without having to configure anything, I'm spoiled that way

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    On 07/28/2013 09:36 AM, simosito wrote:
    >
    > I read the sticky, as suggested. As far as I can tell I have done all
    > the tests that are written there...
    >
    > I'm sorry to be such a pain in the alpaca, but I have zero experience
    > with WiFi and 0.1 with internet-related linux stuff. Always used
    > ethernet without having to configure anything, I'm spoiled that way


    I have not seen the output of 'iwconfig'. It tells a lot more than ifconfig for
    wireless.

    There has been a lot of work on the rtl8192cu driver that does not appear until
    kernel 3.10. I'm not sure if that has appeared in compet-wireless yet. That
    would be a good place to start. If that does not help, then follow the
    instructions at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_of_the_day to implement a
    3.10 or 3.11 kernel.



  5. #15

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    Thank you. I shall move my PC near a working ethernet cable and try with a more recent kernel.
    As soon as I've moved the PC I'll post you the iwconfig.

  6. #16

    Default [SOLVED] [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    SOLVED

    Quote Originally Posted by lwfinger View Post
    There has been a lot of work on the rtl8192cu driver that does not appear until
    kernel 3.10. I'm not sure if that has appeared in compet-wireless yet.
    Apparently compet-wireless had changed name to compat-drivers and then simply backport.

    What I did to get my wifi to work:


    -Download and decompress backports-3.10-2

    Code:
    zypper in ncurses-devel
    (error using make, couldn't find ncurses.h)

    Code:
    make defconfig-wifi
    (make menuconfig returned a symbol error)

    Code:
    make -j4
    Code:
    su
    (make install must be done as root)

    Code:
    make install
    - Reboot.

    And now my wifi is working.
    (Should be working from my room as well, so we can mark the topic as solved if you don't hear me complaining in the next 10-30 minutes)

    Thank you for your help.

    One question, though, next time I zypper up my kernel (I'm guessing we're going to get 3.8 or 3.9 before we get 3.10-2) do I have to reinstall the backport modules?

  7. #17

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    NOT SOLVED

    Just after hitting reply the connection died
    Code:
     # iwconfig 
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
    If I run iwconfig whilst Yast is updating its configuration after scanning for networks:
    Code:
    # iwconfig 
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Retino"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: A0:F3:C1:45:CB:96   
              Bit Rate=150 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-39 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    Then as soon as Yast is done, no wifi.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    On 07/28/2013 01:36 PM, simosito wrote:
    >
    > *NOT SOLVED
    >
    > *Just after hitting reply the connection died
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > # iwconfig
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSIDff/any
    > Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    > Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Power Managementff
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > If I run iwconfig whilst Yast is updating its configuration after
    > scanning for networks:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > # iwconfig
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Retino"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: A0:F3:C1:45:CB:96
    > Bit Rate=150 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    > Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-39 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > Then as soon as Yast is done, no wifi.


    Once the connection is made, the disconnect info will be in the output of the
    dmesg command.

    Yes, you will need to upgrade the compat-wireless package for *every* kernel
    change, just as you need to do for any out-of-kernel driver.



  9. #19

    Default Re: [WIFI] Realtek RTL8192CU "fakes" connection

    So... After posting the last message I rebooted, opened a console, told my PC to ping the router, turned the screen off and watch TV for more than a hour. When I went back, it was still connected.

    I moved the PC back to my room, and went to sleep. This morning I turned it on again.

    This is after booting, no internet

    Code:
    #ping 192.168.1.1
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.1.104 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    Code:
    #dmesg
    [  313.974478] wlan0: authenticate with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96
    [  313.999329] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 1/3)
    [  314.099405] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 2/3)
    [  314.200172] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 3/3)
    [  314.300871] wlan0: authentication with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 timed out
    [  320.965569] wlan0: authenticate with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96
    [  320.990650] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 1/3)
    [  321.000921] wlan0: authenticated
    [  321.002004] wlan0: associate with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 1/3)
    [  321.009024] wlan0: RX AssocResp from a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=1)
    [  321.009092] wlan0: associated
    Code:
    # iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Retino"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: A0:F3:C1:45:CB:96   
              Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=67/70  Signal level=-43 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    Then after 5 minutes (still no internet, of course)

    Code:
    # iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
    Code:
    #dmesg
    [  411.870368] wlan0: authenticate with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96
    [  411.894929] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 1/3)
    [  411.995775] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 2/3)
    [  412.096541] wlan0: send auth to a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 (try 3/3)
    [  412.197165] wlan0: authentication with a0:f3:c1:45:cb:96 timed out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •