Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse python & openssl

Unhappy OpenSuse python & openssl

Hey, I just switched to opensuse on my server from centos upon just installing opensuse and pip for python(2.7) I attempted to use pip when it started throwing the same error over and over no matter what I asked of it... It was giving me an error for the use of urllib2's HTTPSHandler. Now I have opensuse server 12.3 running and I can not figure out for the life of me what is wrong...? I have attempted to see if installing python from zypper but it tells me I will have to uninstall patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 now I am not exactly sure what that is but it SOUNDS like something important... so I would rather not break my system before getting it working...... I also tried installing python-devel and openssl-devel and then I noticed that i can install python-pyopenssl but it was giving me the same problem that I would have to uninstall that package..

Default Re: OpenSuse python & openssl

I have figured out that this has to do with a pattern that was installed and by removing this package I am breaking the pattern but I am trying to keep this server as a production server one that will stay up and running without problems with updates... Can anyone tell me if this will "break" my server?

Quote Originally Posted by gabeio View Post
    I have figured out that this has to do with a pattern that was installed and by removing this package I am breaking the pattern but I am trying to keep this server as a production server one that will stay up and running without problems with updates... Can anyone tell me if this will "break" my server?
    Removing that pattern will not break your server.
    A pattern is just a list of packages that should be installed, like a shopping list, so to say. If you remove the pattern, the packages still stay installed.

I guess you did a minimal server installation?
    patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts is there to keep your system at a minimal level, that's why it conflicts with many packages, and that's why it's called "minimal_base-conflicts"...

Regarding your initial problem, maybe it would help if you posted the exact error message you get.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Removing that pattern will not break your server.
    A pattern is just a list of packages that should be installed, like a shopping list, so to say. If you remove the pattern, the packages still stay installed.

I guess you did a minimal server installation?
    patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts is there to keep your system at a minimal level, that's why it conflicts with many packages, and that's why it's called "minimal_base-conflicts"...

Regarding your initial problem, maybe it would help if you posted the exact error message you get.
    Code:
    $ pip install bottleTraceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/pip", line 9, in <module>
        load_entry_point('pip==1.4', 'console_scripts', 'pip')()
      File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 378, in load_entry_point
      File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2566, in load_entry_point
      File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2260, in load
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.4-py2.7.egg/pip/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
        from pip.util import get_installed_distributions, get_prog
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.4-py2.7.egg/pip/util.py", line 17, in <module>
        from pip.vendor.distlib import version
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.4-py2.7.egg/pip/vendor/distlib/version.py", line 13, in <module>
        from .compat import string_types
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.4-py2.7.egg/pip/vendor/distlib/compat.py", line 31, in <module>
        from urllib2 import (Request, urlopen, URLError, HTTPError,
    ImportError: cannot import name HTTPSHandler

So it doesn't seem to find some needed modules.
    Where did you get pip from?

There is a package "python-pip" included in openSUSE which should just work (and install all needed dependencies automatically).
    So try to use this one.
    Uninstall your pip, open YaST->Software Management, search for "python-pip" and install that.

I have text base opensuse setup so there's only zypper for me... but okay i'll try installing through zypper

Trying to do that gave me another issue from zypper -.-

Code:
    $ zypper install python-pip
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Update' metadata .......................................................................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Update' cache ............................................................................................................................................................[done]
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch requires python-distribute, but this requirement cannot be provided
      uninstallable providers: python-distribute-0.6.31-2.1.1.noarch[repo-oss]
     Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
     Solution 2: do not install python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch
     Solution 3: do not install python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch
     Solution 4: break python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/4/c] (c):

But it's also safe to say that opensuse's installed python is still missing https somehow...
    Code:
    Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 14 2012, 08:58:41) [GCC] on linux2Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> from urllib2 import HTTPSHandler
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    ImportError: cannot import name HTTPSHandler
    >>>
    Which is a part of the base library of python: http://docs.python.org/2/library/url...2.HTTPSHandler

Trying to do that gave me another issue from zypper -.-

Code:
    $ zypper install python-pip
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Update' metadata .......................................................................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Update' cache ............................................................................................................................................................[done]
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch requires python-distribute, but this requirement cannot be provided
      uninstallable providers: python-distribute-0.6.31-2.1.1.noarch[repo-oss]
     Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
     Solution 2: do not install python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch
     Solution 3: do not install python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch
     Solution 4: break python-pip-1.2.1-3.1.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/4/c] (c):
    Yes, and I already explained why...
    So choose solution 1, deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts.
    You won't be able to install most additional packages otherwise.

But it's also safe to say that opensuse's installed python is still missing https somehow...
    Is it?
    Code:
    wolfi@amiga:~> rpm -qi python-base
    Name        : python-base
    Version     : 2.7.3
    Release     : 10.4.1
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Mon Jul 22 14:39:13 2013
    Group       : Development/Languages/Python
    Size        : 21877399
    License     : Python-2.0
    Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Mon Jul 22 13:02:50 2013, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM  : python-base-2.7.3-10.4.1.src.rpm
    Build Date  : Tue Jul 16 15:11:37 2013
    Build Host  : build35
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Vendor      : openSUSE
    URL         : http://www.python.org/
    Summary     : Python Interpreter base package
    Description :
    Python is an interpreted, object-oriented programming language, and is
    often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme, or Java.  You can find an overview
    of Python in the documentation and tutorials included in the python-doc
    (HTML) or python-doc-pdf (PDF) packages.

This package contains all of stand-alone Python files, minus binary
    modules that would pull in extra dependencies.
    Distribution: openSUSE 12.3
    wolfi@amiga:~> grep HTTPSHandler /usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib2.py*
    /usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib2.py:        default_classes.append(HTTPSHandler)
    /usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib2.py:    class HTTPSHandler(AbstractHTTPHandler):
    Binary file /usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib2.pyc matches
    Binary file /usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib2.pyo matches
    wolfi@amiga:~> python             
    Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 14 2012, 08:58:41) [GCC] on linux2
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> from urllib2 import HTTPSHandler
    >>> 

It could also be some incompatibility...
    Where does your python-base come from?
    Code:
    rpm -qi python-base

I have text base opensuse setup so there's only zypper for me... but okay i'll try installing through zypper
    yast works in text mode as well...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast