Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with edit applications

Default Problem with edit applications

I just accepted a number of online updates via YAST. This included a number KDE 4.10.5 components.

I was assembling a file immediately after this and wanted to view the readme. When launched an error msg popped up - no kde text editor.
    A reboot cured this.

I then moved on to add some entries to the applications menu's via right click and edit applications. I have added a new group and 2 sub items but the command fields are greyed out. I then updated the file and the new items are in the file, shown when I reload it. However they don't appear when the button is clicked.

Any ideas???

Update mentioned as I added a couple of items yesterday.

John
    -

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem with edit applications

Quote Originally Posted by John_82 View Post
    I just accepted a number of online updates via YAST. This included a number KDE 4.10.5 components.

I was assembling a file immediately after this and wanted to view the readme. When launched an error msg popped up - no kde text editor.
    A reboot cured this.
    This is to be expected. You were running KDE 4.10.3, and then it was replaced underneath you with KDE 4.10.5. So there's a mismatch between what you are running (left-over-bits of 4.10.3) and what is there (4.10.5).

Logout followed by login would probably have been sufficient. In my opinion, the update should have warned you to logout then login again.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This is to be expected. You were running KDE 4.10.3, and then it was replaced underneath you with KDE 4.10.5. So there's a mismatch between what you are running (left-over-bits of 4.10.3) and what is there (4.10.5).

Logout followed by login would probably have been sufficient. In my opinion, the update should have warned you to logout then login again.
    As application launcher - right click - edit applications show the modifications I made and saved but the list of applications I get when I just click it in the normal way to launch something don't show them. So looks like I am still running a mix.

4.10.3 file edit and a 4.10.5 list of applications to launch which do not include my modifications.

Not to bothered about log in out etc and rebooted because Kmail from kde3 was working and suddenly stopped even before the update. Not updating the editor to point at the right file is more of a problem but I agree mentioning a log out and back in would have been a good idea. All I saw was an adobe license.

More importantly maybe is that I understand the next "stable" release is 4.11. Due in August so a half step now doesn't make much sense.

John
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John_82 View Post
    More importantly maybe is that I understand the next "stable" release is 4.11. Due in August so a half step now doesn't make much sense.
    My understanding is that you won't see KDE 4.11 in a regular update to opensuse 12.3.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

KDE 5 is on it's way. This is one view on this aspect

aseigo: Plasma Workspaces 4.11: A long term release

It seems some of KDE moves to Qt5 so software organisation is rather different and more work on activities. I have also heard mention of virtualisation.

I'm reminded of the change over period from KDE3 to KDE4. Effort was made to include some 4 features as alternatives and they were not used as they didn't work. If 4.11 is what they say it is I would have thought distro's would get it out to the users like us as soon as possible.

There is also the KDE updater. Having been severly bitten in the past I would be reluctant to use it. One problem is that there is no way of knowing what a particular distro has done to the original software.

Just tried to bug report the edit applications problem and the links seem to be dead. Maybe bugs don't happen on Sunday.

John
    -

Maybe you encountered this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=166792 ?

Try to run "kbuildsycoca4" in a shell (or press Alt+F2), then the entries should appear in the menu.

This is quite an old bug, I already had this problem in KDE3 years ago. But strange enough, sometimes it does even work!

On 2013-07-21 11:36, John 82 wrote:
    >
    > KDE 5 is on it's way. This is one view on this aspect
    >
    > 'aseigo: Plasma Workspaces 4.11: A long term release'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/kzc8sec)

> If 4.11 is what they say it is I would have thought
    > distro's would get it out to the users like us as soon as possible.

And then what would they distribute on oS 13.1, ein? >:-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

4.11. whatever it is at that point Carlos. I'm thinking in terms of those that want (deep voice) "enterprise wide solutions". I feel kde has lost it's way in that respect though as I do know why people use it like that - enough as this is chit chat.

I had that solution of the kde forum. Hoping to obtain some file level info. Hasn't changed anything.

Little more detail. I don't want the 2 opensuse icons on my desktop. I do use them occasionally so thought get them into app launch. I had already tried to add old Kmail entries without any problems other than correct incantations so had removed them. Then came the update

I added a folder called OpenSuse and 2 sub entries. The command field on the folder is greyed out which I suspect is correct but it's also greyed out in the sub entries which can't be correct. Plus the problem I mentioned - new stuff in the edit applications but not shown from application launch even after a reboot. They are being retained in the file though.

I was also pointed at a directory off my home to check for user rights - nothing in there other than my didn't work 2 kmail desktops files that I had deleted. The fact that nothing else is there has some interesting software connotations.

It looks like there have been changes in this area. I don't recall seeing uninstall there - shudder - I wouldn't try using that personally. Use YAST.

John
    -

I've found the solution. Delete the entries, save, close re open and enter them again. I am sure I did it the same way as well but had the file that keeps this open in Kate at the same time when I deleted the original entries.

One more problem - the command for OnlineHelp is a url and not sure what to add to launch it to what ever is configured as the default browser.

John
    -

Blog Entries

On Sun 21 Jul 2013 03:36:01 PM CDT, John 82 wrote:

I've found the solution. Delete the entries, save, close re open and
    enter them again. I am sure I did it the same way as well but had the
    file that keeps this open in Kate at the same time when I deleted the
    original entries.

One more problem - the command for OnlineHelp is a url and not sure
    what to add to launch it to what ever is configured as the default
    browser.

John
    -

Hi
    xdg-open will launch a file or url with the default browser, eg;
    Code:
    xdg-open 'http://forums.opensuse.org'
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    up 1 day 11:23, 4 users, load average: 0.14, 0.26, 0.38
    CPU AMD E2-1800@1.70GHz | GPU Radeon HD 7340

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast