Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Auto Composor keys

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Groningen, NL
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    I changed my signature right after posting. I haven't read DD's post yet. Then I would have replied to correct the error.

    The auto compose is exactly the same as when you press alt in Linux without pressing alt. And Linux knows more combinations.

    I know my keyboard is set to US (Engels (VS)). That's what YaST and KDE tell me. I did set the keyboard to US on installation and it's what I have ordered.

    To bad you can't help me any further. It's just a very annoying function.

    And my use of windows is forced... On my home computer I'm running only Linux for 10+ years now. Only on my laptop there is a small installation of windows for the use I'm forced to. (Some programs don't run in a VM)
    Daniël

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    On 2013-07-21 13:46, Drunken wrote:
    > The auto compose is exactly the same as when you press alt in Linux
    > without pressing alt. And Linux knows more combinations.


    The correct name is not "auto compose" but "dead keys". That is how it
    is found in documentation all over Internet.

    > I know my keyboard is set to US (Engels (VS)). That's what YaST and KDE
    > tell me.


    A pure US keyboard definition has no dead keys at all. The '"' is just
    '"' and it doesn't wait for a second key press. However, there is the
    "US International" keyboard definition (here and in Windows) in which
    the '"' key waits for a second key before deciding what to really
    display. By the way, typing '""' produces a single '"'.

    What you describe seems a non pure US keyboard.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,153

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    I changed my signature right after posting. I haven't read DD's post yet. Then I would have replied to correct the error.
    I think the whole signature case is clear now. Let us concentrate on your problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    The auto compose is exactly the same as when you press alt in Linux without pressing alt. And Linux knows more combinations.
    This I do not undersrtand. What is "pressing alt in Linux without pressing alt"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    I know my keyboard is set to US (Engels (VS)). That's what YaST and KDE tell me. I did set the keyboard to US on installation and it's what I have ordered.
    OK, thatis clear now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    To bad you can't help me any further. It's just a very annoying function.
    None of us told you that we can not help you. But we must know what you do, what you expect to happen and what happened instead. We still do not know. How can we help with a solution when we do not understand the problem?
    You seem to think that we all experience the same as you have, but I doubt that that is the case. But again we need a good, exact description of what happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    And my use of windows is forced... On my home computer I'm running only Linux for 10+ years now. Only on my laptop there is a small installation of windows for the use I'm forced to. (Some programs don't run in a VM)
    We are not interested in the fact that you are using Windows some of the time. Some of the time I go for a cycle tour. But that is not interseting for your problem. You should only be aware that we do not much about Windows. Thus saying thinks like "it is like in Windows" does not help, because we do not know whhat "like Windows" is.

    Beste Drunken,

    Is het niet het beste om dit in het Nederlands te doen? Start dan een nieuwe draad in het Nederlandse gedeelte van deze forums.

    Groeten,
    Henk van Velden

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    On 07/20/2013 09:06 PM, hcvv wrote:
    > And I can add that this incident again stiffens my idea that such
    > things should*not* be in the signature.


    i jump to agree with you! (and, if you write it in the forum feedback
    sub-forum i will agree again):

    imo the sig should NOT change once the post is submitted *or*
    system data should be *banned* in the sig, but *required* in the
    message body....and, if missing then *all* answers are blocked until
    the OP designates needed system info.

    but, i guess this might be a molehill>mountain problem.

    --
    dd

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,153

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 07/20/2013 09:06 PM, hcvv wrote:
    > And I can add that this incident again stiffens my idea that such
    > things should*not* be in the signature.


    i jump to agree with you! (and, if you write it in the forum feedback
    sub-forum i will agree again):

    imo the sig should NOT change once the post is submitted *or*
    system data should be *banned* in the sig, but *required* in the
    message body....and, if missing then *all* answers are blocked until
    the OP designates needed system info.

    but, i guess this might be a molehill>mountain problem.

    --
    dd
    I do not agree, but I do also not discuss this anymore here. I want to concentrate on the OP's problem.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    On 07/19/2013 11:46 PM, Drunken wrote:
    > How can I remove the irratating and bad for normal
    > use auto composer key?


    we have learned (thanks Carlos) that the correct term is "dead keys"
    and a search finds problems with dead keys in openSUSE 12.3, see:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=817940

    more, i see a still unanswered question "is some nice way using the
    keyboard configuration to disable dead keys" in
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...hout-them.html

    and, from http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2.../msg00332.html i
    presume you need to (in KDE) go Configure Desktop > Hardware > Input
    Devices > Keyboard > Layouts > click to focus on the layout you are
    using [Engels (VS)] then click "Add Layout" button which will open a
    new pop-up, then using the spinner on the "Varient" line (third from
    top) make sure you have NOT selected "International (with dead keys)"
    instead select "International (AltGr dead keys)" then Ok > Apply

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Groningen, NL
    Posts
    47

    Default [solved]Auto Composor keys

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD;2573528
    [...
    and, from Re: [SLE] Diacritical marks i
    presume you need to (in KDE) go Configure Desktop > Hardware > Input
    Devices > Keyboard > Layouts > click to focus on the layout you are
    using [Engels (VS)] then click "Add Layout" button which will open a
    new pop-up, then using the spinner on the "Varient" line (third from
    top) make sure you have NOT selected "International (with dead keys)"
    instead select "International (AltGr dead keys)" then Ok > Apply
    That was it! Now it works like a charm! Not even the need to change the settings in x to set the alt as composer.
    Daniël

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Auto Composor keys

    On 07/21/2013 11:16 PM, Drunken wrote:
    > That was it!


    welcome...fix found by using the correct nomenclature and google.

    --
    dd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •