Thread: gnome system monitor - high resource usage!

Default gnome system monitor - high resource usage!

Hi i've noticed that on opensuse 12.3 the gnome system monitor uses 40% of every core on multiple different systems i've tried it on. The problem also seems to happen on other linux gnome distributions too. How do i switch from gnome to KDE? KDE seems a lot easier to use and has a much more efficient task manager. It seems like this bug wont be fixed for quite a long time.

Default Re: gnome system monitor - high resource usage!

Try just using top from the command line? Also you might like xfce taskmanager or lxtask.

Quote Originally Posted by System_Error_Message View Post
    How do i switch from gnome to KDE?
    If you want to switch to KDE (or any other DE for that matter), just install it with YaST->Software Management. For some DEs there is even a pattern there so you don't have to select all packages manually. F.e. for installing KDE just switch the chooser saying "Groups" to "Patterns" and install "KDE Base System" and "KDE Desktop environment".
    You can then select it on the login screen.

You can even install a few DEs at the same time and switch between them.

If you also want to switch the login manager, edit the file /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and change the line starting with "DISPLAYMANAGER=" accordingly.
    For KDM you would change it to:
    Code:
    DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
    And you can set the default window manager in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager ("DEFAULT_WM"). For KDE this has to be set to "kde-plasma".
    But the login manager should save your selection anyway.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by System_Error_Message View Post
    Hi i've noticed that on opensuse 12.3 the gnome system monitor uses 40% of every core on multiple different systems i've tried it on..
    It doesn't happen for me

GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

thanks. is there a way to get failsafe to work with KDE too instead of gnome? I'll post a screenshot later. I'm not sure how your gnome's system monitor uses very little CPU for you but from the system's i've used even on ubuntu the CPU usage is about 40% total despite the CPU performance. It only takes a lot of CPU if i leave it on the resource tab.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

System Error Message wrote:
    > thanks. is there a way to get failsafe to work with KDE too instead of
    > gnome? I'll post a screenshot later. I'm not sure how your gnome's
    > system monitor uses very little CPU for you but from the system's i've
    > used even on ubuntu the CPU usage is about 40% total despite the CPU
    > performance. It only takes a lot of CPU if i leave it on the resource
    > tab.
    >
    >

Did you try out what wolfi323 said earlier . That should take you to KDE

--
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

Hi, I can only concur with vazhavandan that this doesn't happen here. Have you checked with "top" that it is indeed the system monitor that uses that much CPU? Lenwolf

KDE should work in failsafe mode as well.
    But I guess failsafe mode is the whole reason why the GNOME system monitor takes that much CPU.

I have to say that on my system the KDE system monitor takes more CPU than the GNOME one (and that doesn't take 40% as you experience, more like 2.5%, whereas ksysguard uses 8-9%)

Why are you using failsafe mode anyway?
    What gfxcard do you have?

i'm using failsafe mode because i tried installing the igfx AMD driver for my HD 7970 and it wouldnt start gnome afterwards. I think you are right about the 40% CPU usage only on failsafe mode. CPU usage does drop down to 2% when i'm not on the resource graph tab but skyrockets when i switch to it. I've decided to reinstall openSUSE on that machine and see if i can do a long manual install later when i have time.