Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MacBook Pro 8,2 Late 2011 openSUSE 12.3 Install works but wont boot post install

Default Re: MacBook Pro 8,2 Late 2011 openSUSE 12.3 Install works but wont boot post install

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbit View Post
    So when I spoke about it above that is what it was doing, but, I wasn't making the correct edit. So, I noticed in my screenshot that I linked to above, the text on the last line where it asks to "fail back" or something refers to the Hitachi drive with a number much longer than what was (bolded below) being used by rEFInd
    I kind of suspected that you had simply appended the option right in the middle of a wrapped line

I simply appended the missing numbers along with nomodeset and bam, it worked (well, without a GUI anyway). Also, I got "OK" on all the feedback during boot except it being unable to located/load the swap partition.

ro root=dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS727575A9E362_J3640094GB1GVE-part6 initrd=boot\initrd-3.7.10-1.1-desktop nomodeset
    umm, this looks to me like you're appending to the initrd line, as opposed to the linux kernel line ... but there seems to be some sort of effect anyway

Graphical interface could not be started. Either the required packages were not installed or the graphics card is not properly supported.
    • (again, I'm assuming (and you should confirm) that this system is using hybrid graphics - an integrated intel gpu and a discrete amd gpu ... by the way, did you attempt to turn off the gpu via the efi (I said earlier to turn off the intel, but you could do either)? ... if you do, remove the nomodeset option and try again
    • using nomodeset was just an attempt to get you back into X using a simple generic xorg driver.
    • I think the problem is that X is borking -- because you've used the nomodeset, the DRM/KMS drivers can't work during boot (you'd get the EFI GOP and then just the efifb during the entire kernel boot). Once X tries to start up, the intel and radeon drivers (both the xorg and kernel drivers) will attempt to load, but they only support KMS, so (because of the earlier nomodeset directive) they fail, but not gracefully, and the X server crashes, and so you never even end up getting a basic X environment (driven by the generic fbdev xorg driver) ... and all you are left with is console, through which the yast ncurses can be driven .... that's my best guess at the moment

Default Re: MacBook Pro 8,2 Late 2011 openSUSE 12.3 Install works but wont boot post install

If you are referring to uncommenting "textonly" in refind.conf and leaving the "use_graphics_for" line commented out (by default) in the same file then yes, I have disabled the GPU. If there is a different way let me know.

DOH! I think you mean by CMD+OPTION+O+F....never done that on the mac, used "del" or F11 plenty on PC's over the years. Will get back to you.

CMD+OPTION+O+F does nothing (probably because its for older macs). I did google disabling the gpu via efi/macbook pro, but damm it was it wayyyy too intrusive, I cant afford to have the OSX partition go down or be stuck in in a console for days on end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12