GNOME doesn't appear in login drop-down menu and can't get any desktop envirovment to work

So, I installed wicd to manage my wireless network, tried to find it in system services to make it start up automatically, it wasn’t there so I decided to reboot and see if then it would appear. For my surprise I wasn’t able to log in to GNOME again, or any other desktop I have installed.
When I log in selecting any of the desktops from the drop-down list all I get is this:
http://s24.postimg.org/xve6s0e1x/IMG_17072013_0410331229800561.jpg

What should I do?
I’m kind of new to Linux and I have no idea of what could have caused this.

login into icewm and launch YaST and re-installed the un-installed GNOME packages (there is a history menu in YaST)

Sorry friend, I think I wasn’t clear, I cant login to any of the desktops listed in the image, afther trying to login I get to the screen shown in the image.

I’m able to (pressing ctrl+alt+f1) get to the console and run yast from there, I managed to uninstall gnome-panel but I have no internet connection in order to reinstall it. How can I set up my cable/wireless network from the console?

From YaST ncurses (command line YsST) you can configure network through Network Devices ==>type Tab==>Network settings ==.> …

But I can’t find a way to set up the wireless network, a place to select which network to connect.

On 2013-07-17 19:46, luancristian wrote:
>
> But I can’t find a way to set up the wireless network, a place to select
> which network to connect.

Why don’t you start again, and reinstall Linux? Just tell it, at the
partition proposal page, to read fstab to reuse the previous setup. And
at the page to enter your user name, tell it to import the previous
users from disk.

I imagine that been new to this, you have just installed the system…
explaining to you how to recover will be to difficult.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Try to switch the login manager to “xdm”:

• Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login as root
  • Enter “init 3”
  • edit the file /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager ans change the line starting with “DISPLAYMANAGER=” to:
DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
  • Enter “init 5”

Can you login then?

I didn’t had OpenSuse ISO image downloaded so I just installed Fedora 19 because I had to use my computer and actually intended to keep the installation, since I was already looking for a distro to use and keep me in the Linux world. Anyway, I was loving OpenSuse and I can’t fell the same with Fedora, even OpenSuse installation settings fit me best. It was a 2-days old installation that I had and was still personalizing some stuff, like changing the network manager (the gnome one was giving me a lot of trouble) and I didn’t had any important file to worry about so it was no problem to make a clean install of Fedora.
I will later reinstall OpenSuse and hope the same problem do not show up again, thank you for your answers.

On 2013-07-17 21:36, luancristian wrote:
> I will later reinstall OpenSuse and hope the same problem do not show
> up again, thank you for your answers.

If the network manager gives you trouble, ask, don’t start removing
components with random advice, which may break your system again :wink:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)