Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: thunderbird, empty mails

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    near the Alps
    Posts
    567

    Question thunderbird, empty mails

    Hello
    in thunderbird, after using the "archive" option for all the mails in the 'inbox' directory I have plenty of mails that look empty : no subject, empty page when clicking on it , they only show 1st of jan 1970 01:00 in on column.
    Does it ring a bell for you ? (I have something like 800 mails in this case ...)

    Thanks
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 , KDE Plasma 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,586
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    IMHO you'd be better off in the Thunderbird support forums.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    near the Alps
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    i've been there already, but they said it might be linked with the fact that 1st of jan 1970 01:00 is linux system date for zero (??)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 , KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,586
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    Quote Originally Posted by manchette_fr View Post
    i've been there already, but they said it might be linked with the fact that 1st of jan 1970 01:00 is linux system date for zero (??)
    I know that. UNIX date and time are counted in seconds from that point. Any backup of ~/.thunderbird ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    near the Alps
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    i'm afraid i don't have any backup
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 , KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    On 2013-07-12 15:16, manchette fr wrote:
    >
    > Hello
    > in thunderbird, after using the "archive" option for all the mails in
    > the 'inbox' directory I have plenty of mails that look empty : no
    > subject, empty page when clicking on it , they only show 1st of jan 1970
    > 01:00 in on column.
    > Does it ring a bell for you ? (I have something like 800 mails in this
    > case ...)
    > Thanks


    I don't move any posts to that "folder" because I don't really know what
    it is. I think I moved some once and they got lost.

    However, if the account is a gmail one, that folder matches the "all
    mail" folder on the upstream server. I have not copied anything there,
    it is automatic.

    For other, non-gmail accounts, I don't know what is there, where it
    comes from.

    So first you have to find out if the folder is stored upstream or local
    on your computer.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    On 07/12/2013 06:48 PM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2013-07-12 15:16, manchette fr wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> in thunderbird, after using the "archive" option for all the mails in
    >> the 'inbox' directory I have plenty of mails that look empty : no
    >> subject, empty page when clicking on it , they only show 1st of jan 1970
    >> 01:00 in on column.
    >> Does it ring a bell for you ? (I have something like 800 mails in this
    >> case ...)
    >> Thanks

    > I don't move any posts to that "folder" because I don't really know what
    > it is. I think I moved some once and they got lost.


    It's simply a folder for saving interesting messages.

    >
    > However, if the account is a gmail one, that folder matches the "all
    > mail" folder on the upstream server. I have not copied anything there,
    > it is automatic.
    >
    > For other, non-gmail accounts, I don't know what is there, where it
    > comes from.
    >
    > So first you have to find out if the folder is stored upstream or local
    > on your computer.


    It's local to your computer and messages are stored in a folder with the
    year of the archive. It's great for a few messages but I wouldn't use it
    for hundreds.

    Ken

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    On 2013-07-13 01:51, Ken Schneider wrote:
    > On 07/12/2013 06:48 PM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:


    >> So first you have to find out if the folder is stored upstream or local
    >> on your computer.

    >
    > It's local to your computer and messages are stored in a folder with the
    > year of the archive. It's great for a few messages but I wouldn't use it
    > for hundreds.


    Not that simple.

    As I said, the Archive for gmail accounts is by default at gmail.com,
    and mine has something like 200000 emails.

    There is also a "Local Folders" Archive which has what you say, one
    folder per year, with about 20 "conversations" each.

    If you go to the edit/accounts dialog, under "copies and folders" of
    each account there is a setting for defining where each archive actually
    is. For gmail accounts it appears to go to "All Mail" on gmail.com, and
    for others it goes some times on the imap server, other times to the
    "Archives" folder locally.

    So the first thing is to determine where is it actually going.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    near the Alps
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    hello,

    i never used this 'archive' stuff before but i recently learned that 'inbox' is a working dir and not for 'archives' , thus i used the ad hoc option , see here if interested : Performance - Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

    if upstream is only for imap accounts then i have all local on the pc
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 , KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: thunderbird, empty mails

    On 2013-07-13 08:16, manchette fr wrote:
    > if upstream is only for imap accounts then i have all local on the pc


    Verify that in your configuration. You decided where that is stored.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •