Thread: Error message when trying to install RPMs

Default Error message when trying to install RPMs

In several attempts to install downloads of epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.3-1lsb3.2x86_64.rpm and Scribus 1.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64.rpm, I had the files downloaded, opened the download folders, and tried to install them with Software Install (I think that was the name, it's off the screen now), the installs failed.
    Message: The action could not be completed -- Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus).
    All operations were done quickly. There were no unusual delays.
    The CUPS site is down, so I couldn't get any help from them. Could SUSE be trying to get something from them?

Please reply simply and thoroughly if you have any suggestions. I'm an 80-year old newbie.

Default Re: Error message when trying to install RPMs

Scribus is included in openSUSE, you should install that version instead of downloading an RPM.
    In the Application launcher you should have an entry "Install/Remove Software" on the "Computer" tab.
    Run this, type in the root password, type in "scribus" into the search field and make a tick into the box right before the scribus package.
    Then click "Accept" and it should be installed.

Or you could type "sudo zypper in scribus" into a terminal window (Konsole f.e.).

The other package you should try to install on the command line. You would get a better error message there, which you could post.
    Open a terminal window (Konsole if you're using KDE) and type the following:
    Code:
    cd name_of_directory_where_the_RPM_is_located
    sudo rpm -i epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.3-1lsb3.2x86_64.rpm

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdi View Post
    In several attempts to install downloads of epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.3-1lsb3.2x86_64.rpm and Scribus 1.4.2-2.1.1.x86_64.rpm, I had the files downloaded, opened the download folders, and tried to install them with Software Install (I think that was the name, it's off the screen now), the installs failed.
    Message: The action could not be completed -- Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus).
    All operations were done quickly. There were no unusual delays.
    The CUPS site is down, so I couldn't get any help from them. Could SUSE be trying to get something from them?

Please reply simply and thoroughly if you have any suggestions. I'm an 80-year old newbie.
    You should *generally* mention the following when posting questions so that get *better* and *right* help
    ==> openSUSE version you are using
    ==>Desktop you are using (KDE,XFCE,GNOME,LXDE,E17 etc)
    ==> Link from where you downloaded rpms etc..
    ==>optionally you can post/upload images to SUSE Paste and share them here
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Hi Bobdi: First and foremost, welcome to openSUSE. Have a lot of fun!

The previous suggestion should help you get Scribus installed. Your talk of Epson and CUPS leads me to believe that you're also trying to set up printing. Is that right?

Also, I am guessing that your Epson printer is connected to your computer by USB -- correct?

If that is the case, you shouldn't have to do anything particularly special to get the printer to work. If you need to check/fix the printer setup, run YaST (ALT-F2 to run a program and then type in "yast", ENTER, then enter your machine's root password, then choose "Hardware" -> "Printer").

Smithfarm

Default Re: Error message when trying to install RPMs Reply to all above

Yes, I am trying to install an Epson WF-3540. It is connected to the router, not USB. Router works with Internet, not printers, not other computers (because they are Windows 7, and will not talk to any computer that isn't W7-8, not even my previous XPs.)

I think my problem is around that error message "Error while creating client module add-on" which comes up almost anytime I try to install or reinstall anything.

Yes, I do have Scribus installed, but it seems to run much worse in Linux than in Windows (same current version). It's one of my most important apps, and I was hoping to improve it with Linux, since it is built in Linux, not Windows.

Here's those specifics that I should have mentioned earlier:
    openSUSE 12.3
    Home-built computer using AMD64, Gigabyte MB, Linksys G router with Linux chip
    Epson WF-3540 printer with Epson Linux drivers, this model included.

openSUSE was installed recently using a download to DVD. I didn't check the numbers, because I don't know how. I suspect the SUSE is defective, have tried to reinstall, once seemed to fix some things (splitting the image between two monitors, most notable). Attempts to reinstall again keep coming up with the above error message, whether I try to use another DVD or try a direct download.

Thanks for the help. It has taken me months to get this running this far, and I'm months behind on my work.

Default Re: Error message when trying to install RPMs Reply to all above

I think my problem is around that error message "Error while creating client module add-on" which comes up almost anytime I try to install or reinstall anything.
    I have told you a way to install a package using the command line.
    But you could also install it using YaST: Right-Click on the package and select "Open With"->"Install/Remove Software". That should work or at least give a better error message.

Yes, I do have Scribus installed, but it seems to run much worse in Linux than in Windows (same current version). It's one of my most important apps, and I was hoping to improve it with Linux, since it is built in Linux, not Windows.
    Well, that version is the latest one available.
    What problems do you have with it exactly? How is it running worse than in Windows?