Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    623

    Default Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Hello,

    I have been keeping a couple kernels here on openSUSE 12.3, should a menu entry be added to Grub2 when ever I get a new kernel?
    To clarify, I have two kernels listed in yast as being installed but I never see the older one listed as a bootable option in grub2. I guess this is not possible?

    I would like to have the backup/older one listed in grub2 menu when I install a new kernel in case things go south with the amd driver or some other hot mess like with kernel 3.10.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Hello,

    I have been keeping a couple kernels here on openSUSE 12.3, should a menu entry be added to Grub2 when ever I get a new kernel?
    To clarify, I have two kernels listed in yast as being installed but I never see the older one listed as a bootable option in grub2. I guess this is not possible?

    I would like to have the backup/older one listed in grub2 menu when I install a new kernel in case things go south with the amd driver or some other hot mess like with kernel 3.10.
    If you enter "Advanced Options" in the boot menu, all your kernels should be shown (plus a recovery mode for each of them).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Hello,

    I have been keeping a couple kernels here on openSUSE 12.3, should a menu entry be added to Grub2 when ever I get a new kernel?
    To clarify, I have two kernels listed in yast as being installed but I never see the older one listed as a bootable option in grub2. I guess this is not possible?

    I would like to have the backup/older one listed in grub2 menu when I install a new kernel in case things go south with the amd driver or some other hot mess like with kernel 3.10.
    For additional help in using Grub 2, have a look at my bash script you can find here:

    GNU Grub2 Command Listing Helper with --help & Input - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Hello,

    I have been keeping a couple kernels here on openSUSE 12.3, should a menu entry be added to Grub2 when ever I get a new kernel?
    To clarify, I have two kernels listed in yast as being installed but I never see the older one listed as a bootable option in grub2. I guess this is not possible?

    I would like to have the backup/older one listed in grub2 menu when I install a new kernel in case things go south with the amd driver or some other hot mess like with kernel 3.10.
    To beautify boot menu we have taken the opportunity of hiding options from run of the mil users
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    To beautify boot menu we have taken the opportunity of hiding options from run of the mil users
    hehehehe, yea I obviously never looked under Advanced because well......run of the mil I guess.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Grub2 -- should it list all the kernels I currently have installed as boot options?

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    hehehehe, yea I obviously never looked under Advanced because well......run of the mil I guess.
    Probably it should read "more options...." or something instead of "advanced" More user friendly that way.
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •