Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: postgres install issue

  1. #1

    Default postgres install issue

    Hey there,

    I've installed postgres following Install and Configure PostgreSQL in openSUSE 11.0 | SUSE & openSUSE Even though, the issue I'm having is that every time I try and run psql, I get the following error:
    Code:
    psql: symbol lookup error: psql: undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams
    I'm just not sure how to proceed - any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Skip

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,475
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Remarkable how old that article is (therefor dangerous to use) although to my eye it is still relevant.

    Have you verified that the PostgrSQL Server is running? The following should return Active (exited) status.
    Code:
    systemctl status postgresql.service
    If the service is running, maybe it didn't get installed completely. Instead of the YAST command in your referenced guide, I'd recommend using zypper if already in a console, the following "force installs" to fix any install issues
    Code:
    zypper in -f postgresql-server
    HTH,
    TSU

  3. #3

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    UPDATE:

    I have also install Zend Server CE 6.1 and have found what happens is lib/pq.so.5 gets pointed to the lib/pq.so.5 that gets install with zend instead of the one found in /usr/lib64/libpq.so.5. What is the best way to change lib/pq.so.5 to the correct version AFTER installing zend server?

    Thanks,

    Skip

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,769

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Change the link. Note it appears you can not run both Zend and postgre at the same time.

  5. #5

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Change the link. Note it appears you can not run both Zend and postgre at the same time.
    Hey there,

    That's the root of my question - How does one change that link? I know postgres and zend server run with centos, so I'm not quite certain what you mean by
    Note it appears you can not run both Zend and postgre at the same time.
    Thanks,

    Skip

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,769

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Well what you described is a link. so use the ln command to point the link to the correct file. It is possible that Zend may run ok with the Postgre lib. Which version is newer?

  7. #7

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well what you described is a link. so use the ln command to point the link to the correct file. It is possible that Zend may run ok with the Postgre lib. Which version is newer?

    Hey there,

    I'll check and see which is newer, but wasn't sure if ln should get used or if there was something else for linking and unlinking libs.

    Thanks,

    Skip

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,384

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Quote Originally Posted by scoon2004 View Post
    Hey there,

    I've installed postgres following Install and Configure PostgreSQL in openSUSE 11.0 | SUSE & openSUSE Even though, the issue I'm having is that every time I try and run psql, I get the following error:
    Code:
    psql: symbol lookup error: psql: undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams
    I'm just not sure how to proceed - any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Skip
    Some people expressed their amazement about you usinng an 11.0 (did we ever have that)) documentation. But nobody bothered to aks on which version of openSUSE you are trying to implement that on. And you kept it as a secret.

    That is someting that realy amazes me.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: postgres install issue

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Some people expressed their amazement about you usinng an 11.0 (did we ever have that)) documentation. But nobody bothered to aks on which version of openSUSE you are trying to implement that on. And you kept it as a secret.

    That is someting that realy amazes me.
    Hey there,

    I'm using version 12.3.

    Thanks,

    Skip

  10. #10

    Cool Re: postgres install issue

    Hey there,

    The problem was ended up being a result of the libpq.so.5 that was installed with Zend server. I checked to see what lib's were being used by psql with
    Code:
    ldd $(which psql)
    This is what initially tipped me to the problem.

    I resolved the issues by adding
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64"
    to my .bashrc and then logging out and in again.

    Problem solved

    Thanks,

    Skip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •