Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox Installation Questions

Default Dropbox Installation Questions

I went to the Dropbox site and found this page with the download for the application. I don't know which one to select. I see .deb and .rpm. Which one is used by Open SUSE 12.3? I'm not that advanced and I don't know the nomenclature for this OS. I need an Open SUSE dictionary.

Here is the page: https://www.dropbox.com/install2

If I click the proper link will it install itself and just ask me to click a few permission buttons and put in my password? I have no idea how to compile things. I've only heard that word related to software.

There is this other thread about this topic and it has several blocks of text that must be pasted somewhere. Here it is: https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...opbox-kde.html

I'm using KDE.

At the end of this set of instructions it says to "Next do this in a normal user terminal" I didn't know that there were different terminals. If you see the commands on that page, where do those get pasted?

In the comments section there is one that says: "Don't forget to switch the repo's off, to keep the "holy four" with packman, as is recommended by many in the community."

What does that mean? I haven't come across packman yet.

Just after my computer was successfully connected to the internet for the first time with this OS, I noticed that an update notification popped up on the bottom right side of the screen. I clicked it and downloaded and installed all of the updates tonight (July, 8, 2013). So anything that might be needed in regular updates should be in my machine right now if that helps with this main question.

Let me know what to do and I'll do it. I'm learning and having fun (as long as things don't crash).

Thank you.

Smallwheels

Default Re: Dropbox Installation Questions

I don't know if the Fedora rpm is compatible or not, but that seems to be the closest choice. openSUSE does use .rpm packages. If you download the rpm, you can install it using yast.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

@op
    Better to use the dropbox rpm from openSUSE folders that one hosted by dropbox as it seems to built specifically for fedora
    you can follow the guide in https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...opbox-kde.html except that you need to change the url to that of 12.3
    since you use 12.3 the repo url should be Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

I went to Yast and there are two selections for Dropbox mentioned. In the summary section of the Software Manager one says "Dropbox client for Linux" and the other says Dropbox client integrated into Nautilus". Would selecting either of these add Dropbox to my computer? Isn't Nautilus the name of a file system? I think my unaltered installation has Dolphin as the file manager.

Maybe it would help if I knew the answers to the questions I already asked. Is there more than one type of terminal, as in the Normal terminal as opposed to some other one? If there is only one type of terminal or even two types, what do I paste into them? Are the instructions in that other link correct?

I did follow that link to the repositories. What do I do once I get there? I have a 32 bit version of 12.3 and it has been updated as of last night. I noticed that the bottom link on that repositories page had 64 bit in its name.

One reason I'm asking about installing programs from the program's web sites is that on two different videos of people talking about updating Linux machines, they said that the versions in the repositories aren't often up to date.

While I await an answer I'll be reading the Dolphin Instruction Manual.

Smallwheels.

Nautilus is a file manager in Gnome. You want the general one unless you intend to use the Nautilus file manager.

Blog Entries

Just make sure you follow this
    https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...opbox-kde.html

Make sure you have the 12.3 kde-extra repo

then do

Code:
    su -
    zypper in dropbox dropbox-servicemenu
    when that's done

Open a new terminal and do

Code:
    dropbox start -i
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Just make sure you follow this
    https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...opbox-kde.html

Make sure you have the 12.3 kde-extra repo

then do

Code:
    su -
    when that's done

Open a new terminal and do

Code:
    dropbox start -i
    Thank you for the information. How do I find out if I have the kde-extra repo?

Where do I paste those commands listed the other page? Do I just open a terminal and paste that information line by line and click enter after each one?

Why must I open a different terminal? Does the last command in the first section make the machine reboot, thus needing a new terminal?

Was that comment about first turning off packman in the comments section incorrect?

I see on your first line you have an s and then a u with a space and then a dash. Is that just one command? What symbols do I type here in order to put code onto the page without messing up things for people?

Blog Entries

Open a terminal

Use your mouse to copy and paste the following - then hit Enter

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    You can then use your mouse to copy and paste the result here

The kde-extra repo url is:
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3

If you don't see it in your results, you can add it like this:

Code:
    su -
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3/ kde-extra
    then
    Code:
    zypper ref
    then to install dropbox

Code:
    -------------------

If all this is too complicated. Try using the Graphical application - YAST

Open Yast > Software > Software Repositories

You should see a list of repos
    Packman is OK to have
    If kde extra is not there > go to Add > Community List
    From the list that is presented - select the kde extra > OK > The OK to get out of the repo part of Yast

Now from YAST main section window > Open Software Manager
    In the search box: dropbox
    And you should see: dropbox-servicemenu, please click the small check box and it should get marked with a tick
    It's important to mark this package first and not dropbox
    Dropbox will get selected automatically
    Then click APPLY (bottom right)

When it's done
    open a terminal and paste it

Code:
    dropbox start -i
    and follow the obvious prompts.
    Leap 15_KDE

I have found that nautilus-dropbox works fine in KDE. no problems. It's easy to install that way
    Code:
    su
    zypper in nautilus-dropbox
    Once it's installed you can launch it from the menu> internet> data transfer
    Good Luck.

P.S. Some will tell you that this will download some gnome stuff this is true but unless you are very short on H.D. Space it should not be a big concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di-qrp View Post
    I have found that nautilus-dropbox works fine in KDE. no problems. It's easy to install that way
    Code:
    su
    zypper in nautilus-dropbox
    Once it's installed you can launch it from the menu> internet> data transfer
    Good Luck.

P.S. Some will tell you that this will download some gnome stuff this is true but unless you are very short on H.D. Space it should not be a big concern.

Please don't do this
    Nautilus file manager takes over your kde system
    Leap 15_KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast