Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,175

    Default upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try upgrading gcc/gfortran for my 12.1x64 installation, or if it would be better to upgrade to 12.3, which would presumably upgrade also the gfortran/gcc. I'm a little afraid of breaking my 12.1 install, as it is a production machine. I should note that the reason for considering this is that I'm running into some compatibility issues with new NASA code that might be resolved in later releases of gfortran.

    Suggestions?

    TYIA!

    Patti

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    no more security upgrades for 12.1
    https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    R.I.P. openSUSE 12.1
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  3. #3

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    On 05/17/2013 09:36 PM, vazhavandan pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > no more security upgrades for 12.1
    > https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    > R.I.P. openSUSE 12.1
    >
    >


    When will it be added to "evergreen"? I have no need/desire to upgrade
    from 12.1 yet.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 05/17/2013 09:36 PM, vazhavandan pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > no more security upgrades for 12.1
    > https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    > R.I.P. openSUSE 12.1
    >
    >


    When will it be added to "evergreen"? I have no need/desire to upgrade
    from 12.1 yet.

    Ken
    no chance according to [Evergreen] [opensuse-project] Evergreen release planning

    checkout :- https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Eve...#Communication
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    On 05/18/2013 12:16 AM, vazhavandan pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > kensch;2557731 Wrote:
    >> On 05/17/2013 09:36 PM, vazhavandan pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> no more security upgrades for 12.1
    >>> https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
    >>> R.I.P. openSUSE 12.1
    >>>
    >>>

    >> When will it be added to "evergreen"? I have no need/desire to upgrade
    >> from 12.1 yet.
    >>
    >> Ken

    > no chance according to '[Evergreen] [opensuse-project] Evergreen
    > release planning' (http://tinyurl.com/bnxhehd)
    >
    > checkout :- https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Eve...#Communication
    >
    >

    Using systemd as a reason is a lame excuse as sysvinit is still used in
    12.1 and 12.2.

    Ken

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    I do need the later Fortran, so is there a SAFE way to upgrade OpenSuSE 12.1? I don't mind upgrading, but the last time I tried took a long time to recover from.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: upgrade gfortran/gcc?

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle View Post
    I do need the later Fortran, so is there a SAFE way to upgrade OpenSuSE 12.1? I don't mind upgrading, but the last time I tried took a long time to recover from.
    download 12.2 DVD (software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.2)
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •