Focus stealing - really annoying

Hello,

I’m new in this forum, I’ve been using KDE for years, openSUSE for 6 months, I’m really loving the way openSUSE looks and feels :).
After trying different distros and desktops, I’m finally sticking with the best Linux I’ve ever seen - openSUSE.

Recently, I’m having this weird problems with window focus, it has become one of the top problems in “What the heck I’m I going to do to solve this” list.
Maybe this problem came after some system update (I think of KDE update), or I just installed some bad software, but I have no clue about what I’m going to do with this problem.

This problem occurs arbitrarily (I didn’t notice anything that has an effect on this problem). What happens is that something in the system always steals the focus of the current window, this happens every 5-8 secs, I notice this because when I’m trying to write, suddenly something (non visible windows of service) steals the focus of my window and to where I’m trying to write stops responding to my typing - I, then, need to refocus on the window to continue typing (this also happens when playing flash in full screen - it closes the full screen and steals the focus).
I didn’t notice something abnormal in the system activities (processes), I tried to enable focus stealing prevention in extreme mode (in KDE configurations> Windows Behavior> Window Behavior) but it didn’t change a thing!

This thing starts stealing the focus whenever it feels to, and stops some long time after (or when restarting the system).

Details about the system:
Qt: 4.8.4
KDE Development Platform: 4.10.3 “release 1”
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12.3
CODENAME = Dartmouth

I hope someone could help me try solving this issue, I’ll try anything!
Thank you!

I don’t know what causes that for you. In fact, you have told us very little about your system.

I do have that problem. I have it in Windows, and I have it in opensuse 12.3. It happens whenever a finger or thumb brushes against the touchpad (on my laptop). I never have the problem on a desktop without a touchpad.

In Windows, I solved the problem by turning of tapping in the touchpad controls.

I seem to recall that tapping was disabled by default for opensuse before 12.3, but it is enabled now. What I do in KDE, is run “synaptiks”. And, in “synaptiks” is use the setting to disable the touchpad when another mouse is found. So as long as I plug in a USB mouse, and use only that, everything is fine.

I don’t know if that will help you, because I don’t even know whether you have a touchpad.

I am aware of this, I’m also running openSUSE on my laptop, and it does have a thouchpad, but the default sensitivity is set high enough so it reduces these kind of problems. It is not my problem! As I said, it also happens when playing flash video in full screen, (when the thing stealing focus starts running) every 5-8 secs (in a loop) full screen mode closes, and the browser losses focus - I am far away from the computer!

I’ll give all the necessary information about my computer, but I really don’t know what can be helpful and what can be irrelevant for this problem.

Thank you!

Try disabling or increasing the time of the screen saver, and the dim screen properties under the kde system settings.

I tried changing the values, but didn’t help.
I noticed that this happens when I unplug the laptop from AC power - when it’s on battery, but still didn’t solve it!

If you notice the problem happens when you’re unplugged, my guess it’s related to your hardware either by design or a sign of hardware failure.

In any case, recommend
Disable APCI in BIOS
Disable APCI in OS
Disable all profiles for your Desktop except “Plugged in” and make sure that profile never turns anything off.

This wouldn’t actually address any hardware issues but might avoid problems associated to running only on battery. Of course, this will mean that your system will consume battery power more rapidly.

TSU

Thank for your replies!

It seem that it was a KDE problem, after some update my “old” KDE configuration messed something up!
what I did is to remove the old configurations (renamed it from ~/.kde to ~/.kde.old) and I did a logout login and it seems that the problem is gone :slight_smile:

I’ll test my pc for a day or 2, and I’ll update this thread appropriately!

Yes! this was my problem rotfl!