Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lightweight Imap email client

  1. #1

    Default Lightweight Imap email client

    Dear all,
    I have a very old single core p4 laptop. Currently I am running latest opensuse with xfce and I am quite happy of the performance.
    I would like to have an imap client for viewing my emails. Do you have something to suggest? (perhaps some xfce friendly application would do)

    Regards
    Alex

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,895

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    Just for any future readers of this thread, this is most probably about openSUSE 12.3.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05 13:26, alaios wrote:
    >
    > Dear all,
    > I have a very old single core p4 laptop. Currently I am running latest
    > opensuse with xfce and I am quite happy of the performance.
    > I would like to have an imap client for viewing my emails. Do you have
    > something to suggest? (perhaps some xfce friendly application would do)


    Pine or mutt.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    is there a bit more heavy approach with some nice window?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,546

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    Geary is listed as a recommended lightweight email app for xfce

    I've never used it (or xfce) so not sure what it is like. Try it out . . . it's in the oss repo for 12.3

    There is also Claws and Balsa that are reasonably lightweight (at least when compared to Thunderbird or Evolution.)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05, alaios <alaios@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > is there a bit more heavy approach with some nice window?


    If you don't like Mutt or Alpine (which I recommend over Pine), try Mulberry which has a nice minimalist GUI interface.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05 16:06, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > Geary is listed as a recommended lightweight email app for xfce
    >
    > I've never used it (or xfce) so not sure what it is like. Try it out .
    > . . it's in the oss repo for 12.3
    >
    > There is also Claws and Balsa that are reasonably lightweight (at least
    > when compared to Thunderbird or Evolution.)



    Both geary and balsa fail to to connect to my local Dovecot imap server.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05 16:38, flymail wrote:
    > On 2013-07-05, alaios <alaios@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >> is there a bit more heavy approach with some nice window?

    >
    > If you don't like Mutt or Alpine (which I recommend over Pine),


    The one on the distro has package name alpine, program name pine.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > The one on the distro has package name alpine, program name pine.


    IIRC Pine and Alpine are different programs. Pine had licensing issues and so a completely rewritten agent (Alpine) was
    released with a different (and free) license. Pine was trademarked by the University of Washington and so it would be
    wrong to call anything else Pine although Pine development has ceased (I think).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Lightweight Imap email client

    On 2013-07-05 17:13, flymail wrote:
    > On 2013-07-05, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:
    >> The one on the distro has package name alpine, program name pine.

    >
    > IIRC Pine and Alpine are different programs.


    Not really, the code is the same. No rewriting at all. I know because I
    follow their mail list.

    > Pine had licensing issues and so a completely rewritten agent (Alpine) was
    > released with a different (and free) license. Pine was trademarked by the University of Washington and so it would be
    > wrong to call anything else Pine although Pine development has ceased (I think).


    It has ceased by most of original developers. They hosted the project
    elsewhere when the UW pulled the plug, and started adding features and
    bug corrections that were long delayed. It is the same code, plus the
    new modifications.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •