Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: pgcalc

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    218

    Default pgcalc

    I installed the rpm 'pgcalc' from the repositories, but I cannot find
    any documentation anywhere that tells how to run it. I tried to type in
    pgcalc on a command line, and the command is not found.

    I tried going to the /opt/kde3/bin directory, where the program is
    stored, and I ran this command, and here also is the result:

    Code:
    $:/opt/kde3/bin> ./pgcalc
    pgcalc: cannot connect to X server
    Any ideas on how to get this program to run? I need a scientific
    calculator that can do calculations on complex numbers, and pgcalc also
    has the advantage that it follows reverse polish notation. So it seems
    like pgcalc is the application to go with, if I can get it started.

    --
    G.O.
    Box #1: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 16GB
    Box #2: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.2 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | 4GB
    Laptop: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | 8GB
    learning openSUSE and loving it

  2. #2

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 2013-07-04, golson765 <golson765@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    Code:
    > $:/opt/kde3/bin> ./pgcalc
    > pgcalc: cannot connect to X server
    >
    >


    It looks like you are trying to run it in a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt 1 to 6). It uses KDE3 GUI components and needs X -
    so you can only run it in an X Window session (Ctrl-Alt 7 to 8) - try executing your command using your native DE's
    console (e.g. Konsole).


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 07/04/2013 08:04 PM, flymail wrote:
    > On 2013-07-04, golson765 <golson765@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >>
    Code:
    >> $:/opt/kde3/bin> ./pgcalc
    >> pgcalc: cannot connect to X server
    >>
    >>

    >
    > It looks like you are trying to run it in a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt 1 to 6). It uses KDE3 GUI components and needs X -
    > so you can only run it in an X Window session (Ctrl-Alt 7 to 8) - try executing your command using your native DE's
    > console (e.g. Konsole).
    >

    Great, thanks! That and that I needed to run it as root.

    --
    G.O.
    Box #1: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 16GB
    Box #2: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.2 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | 4GB
    Laptop: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | 8GB
    learning openSUSE and loving it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 07/04/2013 02:42 PM, golson765 wrote:
    > and that I needed to run it as root.


    no you don't...just give the full path at the command line, or in a
    shortcut you make..

    that is to say that the following launches the package from a user
    konsole just fine, here..
    Code:
    /opt/kde3/bin/pgcalc
    or, you could add /opt/kde3/bin/ to your user's path..

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 2013-07-04 14:42, golson765 wrote:

    >>

    > Great, thanks! That and that I needed to run it as root.


    Certainly you don't need to run it as root! Don't do that, even if you can.

    I just installed it, typed the name on a terminal, and it run. Also I
    enter "alt-f2", type "pgcalc", and it runs. It is also present in the
    menu: Utilities/Calculators/pgcal. I don't understand your dificulties
    with running it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 2013-07-04, golson765 <golson765@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Great, thanks! That and that I needed to run it as root.


    Hmmm. I'm glad it worked for you but it should not be run as root, as others have alluded. Please output what you see
    when trying to run pgcalc from command line as a regular user.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 07/04/2013 12:08 PM, golson765 wrote:
    > I installed the rpm 'pgcalc' from the repositories


    from your sig "learning openSUSE and loving it" i conclude (not 100%
    sure) but i think you used the rpm command to install...

    but we have two killer apps YaST Sofware Management and zypper, which
    if you had used you would find that pgcalc in an
    x-terminal/konsole/etc would work fine..

    AND also if you did that and then used a browser to look in
    /opt/kde3/share/doc/pgcalc2/index.htm you would find lots of
    documentation..

    (to continue your chance to learn: i found the documentation by using
    "locate pgcalc' in a terminal....you can install 'locate' with YaST
    by searching on findutils-locate...and, read more on YaST and zypper
    here:
    http://doc.opensuse.org/documentatio....software.html)

    keep loving it, and **welcome**!!

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

  8. #8
    George Olson NNTP User

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 07/05/2013 04:56 PM, dd wrote:
    > On 07/04/2013 12:08 PM, golson765 wrote:
    >> I installed the rpm 'pgcalc' from the repositories

    >
    > from your sig "learning openSUSE and loving it" i conclude (not 100%
    > sure) but i think you used the rpm command to install...
    >
    > but we have two killer apps YaST Sofware Management and zypper, which if
    > you had used you would find that pgcalc in an x-terminal/konsole/etc
    > would work fine..
    >
    > AND also if you did that and then used a browser to look in
    > /opt/kde3/share/doc/pgcalc2/index.htm you would find lots of
    > documentation..
    >
    > (to continue your chance to learn: i found the documentation by using
    > "locate pgcalc' in a terminal....you can install 'locate' with YaST by
    > searching on findutils-locate...and, read more on YaST and zypper here:
    > http://doc.opensuse.org/documentatio....software.html)
    >
    >
    > keep loving it, and **welcome**!!
    >


    Thanks! I actually used zypper to install it, as I try and do so with
    all my applications now, though sometimes I still use yast.

    I found the executable and changed the ownership so that I would not
    have to run it as root, and got it to work. Unfortunately, it turns out
    that I think there are some bugs in pgcalc, as sometimes the trig
    functions seem to give the wrong answers, which I checked against
    libreoffice calc. I haven't had time to file a bug report yet, but will
    do that soon.

    --
    G.O.
    Box #1: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 16GB
    Box #2: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.2 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | 4GB
    Laptop: 12.3 | KDE 4.10 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | 8GB
    learning openSUSE and loving it

  9. #9

    Default Re: pgcalc

    On 2013-07-08, George Olson <golson765@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
    > Unfortunately, it turns out
    > that I think there are some bugs in pgcalc, as sometimes the trig
    > functions seem to give the wrong answers, which I checked against
    > libreoffice calc. I haven't had time to file a bug report yet, but will
    > do that soon.


    There are other RPN calculators: http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ja...l#319lfindex18

    >


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •