Hi,

I "zypper dupped" from openSUSE 12.1 to 12.3. The update basically worked, though there were several issues to get the system back to life afterwards (Xorg not running due to Nvidia vs nouveau driver issues, GNOME desktop immediately crashing on login, since the new GNOME didn't like something which the old GNOME version had stored in the ~/.gnome2 directory etc). But that's all resolved, the system is working now - except hibernation.

• I have already installed "gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu".
  • I also enabled the extension via https://extensions.gnome.org/local/ (would be cool if it had been enabled by default, when installed).

The problem:
  • I'm seeing the "hibernate" option in the GNOME menu now, but when I select the option, the desktop is only locked - but then it doesn't hibernate at all. The system keeps running. I can unlock the screen again, retry etc - but it never hibernates.
  • Hibernation works perfectly when I enable it by command-line though: "pm-hibernate" works just fine. So it's not caused by a missing swap partition etc.

Apparently there's something not working which connects the GNOME GUI option "hibernate" to the actual system call.

In /var/log/messages I can see the following error messages whenever I trigger the GNOME "hibernate" option - so this could be related:

dbus-daemon[722]: dbus[722]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=714 comm="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.248" (uid=1000 pid=10701 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-session ")

dbus[722]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=714 comm="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.248" (uid=1000 pid=10701 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-session ")

Any ideas on what to check welcome!

Thanks!