Realcrypt fails to creat volume

I downloaded realcrypt 7.0a through yast from the packman repository (the only one it appears to be in) and I am using openSUSE 12.1. I am trying to encrypt a partition and everything seems to work fine until it finishes with the formatting/encrypting of the outer volume, then I get a message that says:

/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/proc/devices: No entry for device-mapper found
Failed to set up list of device-mapper major numbers
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/proc/devices: No entry for device-mapper found
Failed to set up list of device-mapper major numbers
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.63 (2011-02-09)(compat) and kernel driver 
Command failed

Any idea what is causing this? It looks like I have device-mapper/libdevmapper installed. It does this whether the “do not use kernel cryptographic services” option is checked or not. Internet searches for this haven’t yielded much.

You might want to try Googling specifically the kernel version you have installed with your libdevmapper version. You might also contact someone who is part of that product.

Also, immediately after you experience a failure, you might see if anything useful is recorded in your syslog (I suspect it’d be identical to what you posted, though)

tail /var/log/messages

You can also try some other partition encryption utility, at the moment I can’t recommend one, though (haven’t tried any recently)

TSU

On 2013-06-29 23:26, hito kiri wrote:

> Any idea what is causing this? It looks like I have
> device-mapper/libdevmapper installed. It does this whether the “do not
> use kernel cryptographic services” option is checked or not. Internet
> searches for this haven’t yielded much.

Maybe you need to reboot :-?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Looks like a reboot fixed it. I feel dumb now lol. I didn’t think it had been as long as it had been between reboots and I at some time must have gotten an update that required one.