Thread: Setting Up a Print Server in a Windows Environment

Default Setting Up a Print Server in a Windows Environment

I am sure this question has been asked before so I'd like to start off with an apology.

I am very new to Linux and I am trying to setup a Print Server for use in a Windows Environment using OpenSuse 12.3.
    Adding a printer to the machine seems pretty straight forward, but actually getting windows 7 clients to be able to use that shared device has been my struggle.
    I've read a few "how to" guides and looked through different documentation, but I am still not getting it.

If anyone could recommend a good read or has a guide I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Setting Up a Print Server in a Windows Environment

On 2013-06-28 22:36, ClassyFrank wrote:

> If anyone could recommend a good read or has a guide I would really
    > appreciate it.

There are two methods: via samba, or via network printer (unix type).

Code:
    http://swerdna.dyndns.org/suseprintipp.html
    http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susesambaprint_1.html

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Setting Up a Print Server in a Windows Environment

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyFrank View Post
    I am sure this question has been asked before so I'd like to start off with an apology.

I am very new to Linux and I am trying to setup a Print Server for use in a Windows Environment using OpenSuse 12.3.
    Adding a printer to the machine seems pretty straight forward, but actually getting windows 7 clients to be able to use that shared device has been my struggle.
    I've read a few "how to" guides and looked through different documentation, but I am still not getting it.

If anyone could recommend a good read or has a guide I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
    To get Samba (Designed to work with Windows shares, including printers) working on your Linux PC, have a look at this: S.A.C.T. - Samba Automated Configuration Tool - Version 1.06 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Once you have setup a Windows workgroup, you can setup the printer using YaST:

YaST / Software / Printer / Print Via Network / Connection Wizard

Now fill in all of the info about the Windows Printer.

Just fill in the required information about the Windows PC that is sharing a printer.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas