Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Hi, I am using KDE4 desktop on openSUSE 12.3. I just tried to install GNOME desktop with yast -> Software Management -> Patterns.
    And after I click on GNOME, it showed a message which said gnome-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 requires patterns-openSUSE-gnome ,
    and I should uninstall patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 for installing patterns-openSUSE-gnome

    Should I do it? or there is other ways to by pass this problem and get GNOME installed?
    Thx :-)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocid View Post
    Hi, I am using KDE4 desktop on openSUSE 12.3. I just tried to install GNOME desktop with yast -> Software Management -> Patterns.
    And after I click on GNOME, it showed a message which said gnome-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 requires patterns-openSUSE-gnome ,
    and I should uninstall patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 for installing patterns-openSUSE-gnome

    Should I do it? or there is other ways to by pass this problem and get GNOME installed?
    Thx :-)
    You should.
    I'm not sure, but guessing from the name patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure seems to be meant for a pure KDE system. Therefore it conflicts with other DEs.

    Don't fear though. Uninstalling a pattern has no influence whatsoever on your installed packages.
    A pattern is just a means to install a group of packages automatically.
    You don't really need it anymore after the installation. And the packages don't get uninstalled if you uninstall the pattern.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,345
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocid View Post
    And after I click on GNOME, it showed a message which said gnome-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 requires patterns-openSUSE-gnome ,
    and I should uninstall patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 for installing patterns-openSUSE-gnome
    I just install Gnome alongside KDE when installing from the DVD image. I think the installer silently deselects "patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64" so I never see that message. In any case, it is no problem to uninstall that pattern. Just do it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I just install Gnome alongside KDE when installing from the DVD image. I think the installer silently deselects "patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64" so I never see that message. In any case, it is no problem to uninstall that pattern. Just do it.
    well, I did so, and get GNOME installed. But I failed to log in with GNOME, even after I restart the computer....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocid View Post
    well, I did so, and get GNOME installed. But I failed to log in with GNOME, even after I restart the computer....
    I use GNOME and i have the following patterns installed

    Code:
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_basis
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_games
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_imaging
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_internet
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_laptop
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_multimedia
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_utilities
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast
    • patterns-openSUSE-sw_management_gnome
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    I use GNOME and i have the following patterns installed

    Code:
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_basis
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_games
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_imaging
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_internet
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_laptop
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_multimedia
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_utilities
    • patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast
    • patterns-openSUSE-sw_management_gnome

    How could I see & export this list corresponding to gnome installation?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocid View Post
    How could I see & export this list corresponding to gnome installation?
    You can probably use zypper to do this from terminal/Konsole
    zypper - pakcage manager
    se - search
    i- indicates installed packages
    Code:
    $zypper se 'patterns*gnome*'
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    S | Name                                   | Summary                                       | Type   
    --+----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+--------
      | patterns-openSUSE-devel_gnome          | Meta package for pattern devel_gnome          | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome                | Meta package for pattern gnome                | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_admin          | Meta package for pattern gnome_admin          | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_basis          | Meta package for pattern gnome_basis          | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_basis_opt      | Meta package for pattern gnome_basis_opt      | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_games          | Meta package for pattern gnome_games          | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_ide            | Meta package for pattern gnome_ide            | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_imaging        | Meta package for pattern gnome_imaging        | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_imaging_opt    | Meta package for pattern gnome_imaging_opt    | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_internet       | Meta package for pattern gnome_internet       | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_laptop         | Meta package for pattern gnome_laptop         | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_multimedia     | Meta package for pattern gnome_multimedia     | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_multimedia_opt | Meta package for pattern gnome_multimedia_opt | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office         | Meta package for pattern gnome_office         | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office_opt     | Meta package for pattern gnome_office_opt     | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_utilities      | Meta package for pattern gnome_utilities      | package
      | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_xgl            | Meta package for pattern gnome_xgl            | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast           | Meta package for pattern gnome_yast           | package
    i | patterns-openSUSE-sw_management_gnome  | Meta package for pattern sw_management_gnome  | package

    it is straightforward if you use gtk version of YaST



    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  8. #8

    Default AW: Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocid View Post
    How could I see & export this list corresponding to gnome installation?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "patterns*gnome"
    ?

  9. #9

    Default AW: Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "patterns*gnome"
    ?
    Sorry, typo...
    Should be:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "patterns.*gnome"
    And "grep" instead of "egrep" should work as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: AW: Re: Installing GNOME on openSUSE 12.3 with installed KDE4 desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sorry, typo...
    Should be:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "patterns.*gnome"
    And "grep" instead of "egrep" should work as well.
    Thx :-)

    And here is what I get:

    Code:
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_games-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-sw_management_gnome-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_utilities-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_admin-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_multimedia-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_imaging-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_internet-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-gnome_basis-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •