Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  1. #1

    Default Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Hi all,

    I've run into problems with my laptop after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop.

    The problems that I've noticed:
    - Wireless not working.
    - External monitor not detected.
    - Laptop display resolution cannot be changed, and is set lower than the optimum resolution.

    None of these problems happened with kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop.
    The same problems occur with kernel 3.7.10-1.16-default.

    I haven't found any solution on the web, so I guess it's not happening to other users. Any ideas of how to fix it? (Other than booting kernel 1.11, which I'm doing now of course).

    Cheers,
    Eloy

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
    Hi all,

    I've run into problems with my laptop after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop.

    The problems that I've noticed:
    - Wireless not working.
    - External monitor not detected.
    - Laptop display resolution cannot be changed, and is set lower than the optimum resolution.
    Maybe the drivers are missing for the new kernel?

    What graphics card and driver do you use? NVIDIA?
    Did you have to install a driver for your Wireless?

    And how did you install those drivers in the first place?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Maybe the drivers are missing for the new kernel?

    What graphics card and driver do you use? NVIDIA?
    Did you have to install a driver for your Wireless?

    And how did you install those drivers in the first place?
    Hi,

    I think I didn't need to install the drivers, everything worked after installing 12.3, but I'm not sure (I've installed it a couple of times, and played with the Ati drivers before deciding to keep the ATI card off). To check the drivers, I've used lspci. Here are the results:

    Code:
    On 1.11: 
    
    # lspci
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler XT [AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series] (rev ff)
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    
    On 1.16:
    
    # lspci
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler XT [AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series]
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    I checked the details using '# lspci -vv -s xxxxxx'. In all three cases, the line 'Kernel driver in use:' is only present on kernel 1.11, but not on 1.16.
    The kernel drivers are i915, radeon and wl.

    Details for the Intel graphics card:

    Code:
    On 1.11:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 00:02.0
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3388
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 50
            Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Region 2: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 4: I/O ports at 6000 [size=64]
            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
            Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                    Address: feeff00c  Data: 4182
            Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
            Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
                    AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                    AFCtrl: FLR-
                    AFStatus: TP-
            Kernel driver in use: i915
    
    
    On 1.16:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 00:02.0
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3388
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
            Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Region 2: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 4: I/O ports at 6000 [size=64]
            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
            Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                    Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
            Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
            Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
                    AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                    AFCtrl: FLR-
                    AFStatus: TP-
    For the ATI graphics card (I keep it off, using vgaswitcheroo, which is not available on 1.16).

    Code:
    On 1.11:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 01:00.0
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler XT [AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
            !!! Unknown header type 7f
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
    
    
    On 1.16:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 01:00.0
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler XT [AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3388
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
            Region 0: Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Region 2: Memory at c6500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
            Region 4: I/O ports at 5000 [size=256]                                                                                   
            Expansion ROM at c6520000 [disabled] [size=128K]                                                                         
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3                                                                            
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)                                       
                    Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-                                                           
            Capabilities: [58] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00 
                    [cut since post was too long for forum!] 
            Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                    Address: 00000000feeff00c  Data: 4182
            Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
            Capabilities: [150 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                    UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap- CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
    And for the wifi card:

    Code:
    On 1.11:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 0d:00.0
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 145c
            Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-                     
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes                                                                                    
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17                                                                                        
            Region 0: Memory at c4500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
            Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=2 PME-
            Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
            Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                    Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
            Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
                    DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                            ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                    DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                            RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                            MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                    DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+ TransPend-
                    LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
                            ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                    LnkCtl: ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
                            ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                    LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive+ BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
            Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                    UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UESvrt: DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    AERCap: First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
            Capabilities: [13c v1] Virtual Channel
                    Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
                    Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
                    Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
                    Status: InProgress-
                    VC0:    Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
                            Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
                            Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=ff
                            Status: NegoPending- InProgress-
            Capabilities: [160 v1] Device Serial Number 00-00-12-ff-ff-b3-ac-81
            Capabilities: [16c v1] Power Budgeting <?>
            Kernel driver in use: wl
    
    On 1.16:
    
    # lspci -vv -s 0d:00.0
    0d:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 145c
            Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
            Region 0: Memory at c4500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
            Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
                    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=2 PME-
            Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
            Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                    Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
            Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
                    DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                            ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                    DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                            RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                            MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                    DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+ TransPend-
                    LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
                            ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                    LnkCtl: ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
                            ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                    LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive+ BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
            Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                    UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    UESvrt: DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                    CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                    AERCap: First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
            Capabilities: [13c v1] Virtual Channel
                    Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
                    Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
                    Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
                    Status: InProgress-
                    VC0:    Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
                            Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
                            Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=ff
                            Status: NegoPending- InProgress-
            Capabilities: [160 v1] Device Serial Number 00-00-12-ff-ff-b3-ac-81
            Capabilities: [16c v1] Power Budgeting <?>
    Can I provide any other information that is useful? Any idea of what to do?

    Thank you,
    Eloy

  4. #4

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
    Can I provide any other information that is useful? Any idea of what to do?
    Well two thoughts regarding your gfx problem:
    - Could you please post the output of the following in the non-working case, i.e. when booting to 3.7.10-1.16?
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Maybe you have the "nomodeset" option specified, which would prevent the loading of the gfxdrivers.

    - Maybe you have the kernel-desktop-base-3.7.10-1.16 installed? That one misses many of the drivers.
    Please show the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    Regarding Wireless:
    The wl driver is not included in openSUSE. But there are packages on Packman.
    Try to reinstall those (broadcom-wl and broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop).

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Hi,

    Here are the results of those commands:

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well two thoughts regarding your gfx problem:
    - Could you please post the output of the following in the non-working case, i.e. when booting to 3.7.10-1.16?
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Maybe you have the "nomodeset" option specified, which would prevent the loading of the gfxdrivers.
    Code:
    # cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.7.10-1.16-desktop root=UUID=7b4a1faf-325f-4d76-8920-b9802e0f6a35 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ADATA_SSD_S511_240GB_02308082500200000242-part5 splash=silent quiet showopts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    - Maybe you have the kernel-desktop-base-3.7.10-1.16 installed? That one misses many of the drivers.
    Please show the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep kernel
    texlive-l3kernel-2012.60.svn_3570svn26111-4.2.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.7.10-1.11.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.7.10-1.16.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130114git-1.2.1.noarch
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Regarding Wireless:
    The wl driver is not included in openSUSE. But there are packages on Packman.
    Try to reinstall those (broadcom-wl and broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop).

    Both packages were installed, but when I tried to remove then something strange (I think) happened:

    Code:
    # zypper remove broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...
    
    
    The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
      broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
    broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop was removed 4 times! Anyway, I removed and installed them, still no wifi. lspci does not show the 'kernel drive' line.

    Eloy

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
    Both packages were installed, but when I tried to remove then something strange (I think) happened:

    Code:
    # zypper remove broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...
    
    
    The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
      broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
    broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop was removed 4 times! Anyway, I removed and installed them, still no wifi. lspci does not show the 'kernel drive' line.
    Yeah, that's because of that kernel multiversion thingy. That implies also multiple versions of the kernel modules can (and will) be installed at the same time. But AFAIK older kernel modules don't get removed automatically (like the kernel itself), so I would call this a bug.
    Anyway, that's not related to your problem.

    But it's strange that your kernel modules don't get loaded, while they do with 3.7.10-1.11.
    I do still have that line "Kernel driver in use: radeon" with 1.16...

    Could you maybe post the output of "dmesg" to SUSE Paste or similar when booting to 1.16?
    Maybe there is something in there that tells us why the modules are not loaded.

    Or you could try to run "depmod -a" (as root). Maybe there is something wrong with the kernel modules dependency cache...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yeah, that's because of that kernel multiversion thingy. That implies also multiple versions of the kernel modules can (and will) be installed at the same time. But AFAIK older kernel modules don't get removed automatically (like the kernel itself), so I would call this a bug.
    Anyway, that's not related to your problem.

    But it's strange that your kernel modules don't get loaded, while they do with 3.7.10-1.11.
    I do still have that line "Kernel driver in use: radeon" with 1.16...

    Could you maybe post the output of "dmesg" to SUSE Paste or similar when booting to 1.16?
    Maybe there is something in there that tells us why the modules are not loaded.

    Or you could try to run "depmod -a" (as root). Maybe there is something wrong with the kernel modules dependency cache...
    Hi, thank you for the explanation for the multiple package versions. I guess some of those were created when I installed kernel-default, then kernel-base-default, before I managed to remove both .

    I uploaded the result of dmesg here: SUSE Paste.

    I run depmod -a. The generated modules.dep is too large for suse paste, so I'm sharing it in this link (it is simply a text file):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqn99p0zfv2jd8x/modules.dep

    Not that I can make sense of any of those files, but I noticed this in dmesg:

    Code:
    line  768: [    2.215906] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Fatal error during modeset ini
    line  776: [    2.218301] radeon: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -12
    line 1266: [   24.065541] [drm:drm_pci_agp_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
    Eloy

  8. #8

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
    Hi, thank you for the explanation for the multiple package versions. I guess some of those were created when I installed kernel-default, then kernel-base-default, before I managed to remove both .

    I uploaded the result of dmesg here: SUSE Paste.

    I run depmod -a. The generated modules.dep is too large for suse paste, so I'm sharing it in this link (it is simply a text file):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqn99p0zfv2jd8x/modules.dep

    Not that I can make sense of any of those files, but I noticed this in dmesg:

    Code:
    line  768: [    2.215906] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Fatal error during modeset ini
    line  776: [    2.218301] radeon: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -12
    line 1266: [   24.065541] [drm:drm_pci_agp_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
    Yeah right. That does sound like a problem.

    And you have a lot of such lines in there:
    Code:
    [    3.125111] systemd-udevd[375]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event' 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
    Not sure if that causes problems, but at least it's not normal. (and interestingly it talks about hal, which isn't part of openSUSE anymore)
    Couly you show the output of:
    Code:
    grep -R hal /usr/lib/udev
    grep -R hal /etc/udev
    And what happens when you do the following:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/modprobe radeon
    dmesg | tail
    And the same for i915 and wl please?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yeah right. That does sound like a problem.

    And you have a lot of such lines in there:
    Code:
    [    3.125111] systemd-udevd[375]: failed to execute '/usr/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event' 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
    Not sure if that causes problems, but at least it's not normal. (and interestingly it talks about hal, which isn't part of openSUSE anymore)
    Couly you show the output of:
    Code:
    grep -R hal /usr/lib/udev
    grep -R hal /etc/udev
    And what happens when you do the following:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/modprobe radeon
    dmesg | tail
    And the same for i915 and wl please?
    Here are the results:

    Code:
    # grep -R hal /usr/lib/udev
    /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules:RUN+="socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
    
    
    # grep -R hal /etc/udev
    # 
    (nothing)
    modprobe for radeon and i915 does not generate any message..
    Code:
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe radeon
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe i915
    The dmesg does not show anything new (all lines are old):

    Code:
    # dmesg | tail
    [   23.921527] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link down
    [   23.921532] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link down
    [   23.921571] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [   24.065541] [drm:drm_pci_agp_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
    [   24.065545] DRM: Fill_in_dev failed.
    [   25.584467] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link up
    [   25.584488] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    [   25.611005] NET: Registered protocol family 17
    [   28.282296] EXT4-fs (sda6): re-mounted. Opts: acl,user_xattr,commit=0
    [   28.287367] EXT4-fs (sda7): re-mounted. Opts: acl,user_xattr,commit=0
    For wl, it does generate a message:

    Code:
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe wl
    FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/updates/wl.ko): Invalid module format
    # dmesg | tail
    [... same old lines...]
    [ 3354.169570] lib80211: exports duplicate symbol lib80211_crypt_delayed_deinit (owned by kernel)
    Which sounds a bit nasty... .

    Eloy

    edited:

    Also, in case it's useful I checked this:

    Code:
    # zypper se hal
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    
    S | Name                       | Summary                                              | Type      
    --+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------------+-----------
    i | hal                        | Daemon for Collecting Hardware Information           | package
    Last edited by evilfer; 28-Jun-2013 at 05:53. Reason: checking whether hal is installed

  10. #10

    Default Re: Opensuse 12.3: Hardware problems after kernel update to 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
    Here are the results:

    Code:
    # grep -R hal /usr/lib/udev
    /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules:RUN+="socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
    
    
    # grep -R hal /etc/udev
    # 
    (nothing)
    modprobe for radeon and i915 does not generate any message..
    Code:
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe radeon
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe i915
    The dmesg does not show anything new (all lines are old):

    Code:
    # dmesg | tail
    [   23.921527] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link down
    [   23.921532] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link down
    [   23.921571] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [   24.065541] [drm:drm_pci_agp_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
    [   24.065545] DRM: Fill_in_dev failed.
    [   25.584467] r8169 0000:07:00.0 eth0: link up
    [   25.584488] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    [   25.611005] NET: Registered protocol family 17
    [   28.282296] EXT4-fs (sda6): re-mounted. Opts: acl,user_xattr,commit=0
    [   28.287367] EXT4-fs (sda7): re-mounted. Opts: acl,user_xattr,commit=0
    That means they are already loaded.
    Could you please post your Xorg log?
    The easiest way would be to boot to 1.16, then reboot to 1.11 and post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, that one should then contain the info for the failed boot.

    Another user of a hybrid system had a video problem lately right after the kernel update. (for him X did start, but he wasn't able to view videos satisfactorily)
    For him, disabling plymouth (the bootsplash) fixed it. Maybe you can try that as well? (Press the 'e' key on the boot menu, then search for the line starting with "linux" and append "plymouth.enable=0". Then press F10 to boot)

    For wl, it does generate a message:

    Code:
    # sudo /sbin/modprobe wl
    FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/updates/wl.ko): Invalid module format
    # dmesg | tail
    [... same old lines...]
    [ 3354.169570] lib80211: exports duplicate symbol lib80211_crypt_delayed_deinit (owned by kernel)
    Which sounds a bit nasty... .
    Right. And that's the reason why it doesn't load.
    You did reinstall it before, didn't you?
    Try to uninstall it, redownload it and install it again, maybe?

    edited:

    Also, in case it's useful I checked this:

    Code:
    # zypper se hal
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    
    S | Name                       | Summary                                              | Type      
    --+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------------+-----------
    i | hal                        | Daemon for Collecting Hardware Information           | package
    You should uninstall it.
    It's not used anymore since a few releases ago.
    But it isn't even included anymore in 12.3, so your package seems to be a left-over from 12.1...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •