After uninstalling of kscreen KDE can not start

Installed kscreen from factory. Makes KDE 4.10.4 unstable. Uninstalled via Yast. After log out I can not log in again: The KDM screen appears, I type my PW, KDE starts, the screen flickers and I’m back on the login screen.

So obviously kscreen leaves something in /home which makes KDE crash after uninstalling it.

However: stupid me.

Anybody here with an idea how to get KDE start without kscreen? Starting it in secure mode doesn’t help either. Grmpf.

The KDE 4.10.4 packages don’t use kscreen.
My guess is that you upgraded some KDE packages to factory (KDE 4.10.80 = Beta 1).

Can you please post the output of:

zypper lr -d

Does it work as a new user (or root)?

It’s not a good idea to mix KDE packages of different repos…

I installed kscreen via “one-klick” from here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=KDE%3ADistro%3AFactory&package=kscreen

Root login leads to the same result.

It seems you are right, to my surprise I found seven packages from factory (4.10.80) besides kscreen. Is there a zypper command to list packages from a certain source? I’d like to find out whether I installed accidently other packages from factory.

Thank you very much, right now I’m using IcwWM (hey, fast!), but I’ll go again for KDE.

Alexander

I would propose one of two things:

• Enter YaST->Software Management, select View->Repositories (or just click on the “Repositories” tab if it is present already) and select the factory repo where you got kscreen from. Then go through the package list and switch all those with 4.10.80 (you can sort by version, just click on the column header) to the 4.10.4 versions.
    or
  • Enter YaST->Software Management, select View->Repositories (or the “Repositories” tab) and select the KDE:Release:410 repo (the one where you installed your KDE 4.10.4 packages from). Click on “Switch all packages to the version in this Repository…” right above the package list. That should downgrade all your KDE packages to the 4.10.4 versions.
    This can also be achieved by running “zypper dup --from KR410” (replace KR410 with the name of your KDE 4.10 repo).

And please remove that factory repo again, either in YaST->Software Repositories or with “zypper rr”.

I searched for accidently installed packages from ‘factory’ with “rpm -qa | grep 4.10.80” and “… 4.10.90”. I downgraded all those packages. I searched in Yast, like recommended. I removed the factory repo.

But as soon as I uninstall kscreen, KDE no longer starts. My first idea was that kscreen writes something inside /home. In this case, at least root should have been able to use KDE, because I rarely log in as root.

So kscreen seems to overwrite a file, which has been installed by another package. Or do you have another idea? Well, I will look into the files of kscreen. When will oSS 13.1 be there?

Thank you for your help,

Regards,
Alexander

KScreen writes it’s configuration to ~/.kde4/share/apps/kscreen/. But the 4.10.4 packages ignore that.
openSUSE 13.1 will be released in November.

Try to do the downgrade like I wrote (the second point with clicking on “Switch all packages”), there could be some libraries with a different version number.

Maybe you didn’t have 4.10.4 before but 4.10.3? That’s in the update repo atm. Or you have a mixture of 4.10.3 and 4.10.4 now?

You can also use “rpm -qa --last” to get a package list sorted by install time, so the packages that were installed recently are on the top of the list.

Can I add something like -page to --last?

Ok, however, it seems that kscreen indeed messes around with kdestart:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?expand=1&file=krandrstartup&package=kscreen&project=KDE%3ADistro%3AFactory

And I decided to accept kscreen for the time being, to much woes to tackle with it. Exept somebody has a good idea. I followed your advice and made sure not to have a mixed installation.

Run it like this:

rpm -qa --last | less

Ok, however, it seems that kscreen indeed messes around with kdestart:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?expand=1&file=krandrstartup&package=kscreen&project=KDE%3ADistro%3AFactory

That dummy file is included because startkde runs krandrstartup to read and set up the older krandr settings.
Since kscreen replaces krandr KDE didn’t start then because krandrstartup couldn’t be found. To fix this, kscreen contains now an empty krandrstartup file.

So maybe in your case krandr was missing after uninstalling kscreen and that’s why KDE didn’t start?
But krandrstartup is part of kdebase4-workspace in 4.10, I’m sure you downgraded that?
Well, maybe uninstalling kscreen removed that file, so reinstalling kdebase4-workspace should fix your problem.

And I decided to accept kscreen for the time being, to much woes to tackle with it. Exept somebody has a good idea. I followed your advice and made sure not to have a mixed installation.

So you upgraded everything to KDE 4.11 Beta now?
Well, that’s also a solution of course.
And KDE 4.11 should be at RC1 in less than 2 weeks anyway (July 10th IIRC).

No, I made sure to have everything and all from KDE 4.10.4!

I will reinstall kdebase4-workspace after removing kscreen …

Thank you!

[quote="“cookie170,post:7,topic:91579”]

Can I add something like -page to --last? [/QUOTE]Equivalently, in Yast > Software Mgmt > Extras > Show history > select date > see packages

which may be user friendlier way to navigate