Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

  1. #1

    Default Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Dear All,

    I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details, you can set the behavior of the Desktop Environment when removable media are inserted. You can, for example, automatically open an application or have a dialog ask the user what to do. It seems to me that all these options are ignored in the GNOME flavour of OpenSUSE. Every time, for example, I insert a CD, it gets automatically mounted, and appears in the nautilus sidebar. However, the preference that I set before is never respected (For example, I set it to open the CD in rhythmbox).

    I think either udev or udisks might be interfering. Does anyone have any idea?

    Thank you

    Valerio

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,224
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    On Tue 25 Jun 2013 12:36:01 AM CDT, valmar73 wrote:


    Dear All,

    I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of
    OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details, you can set the
    behavior of the Desktop Environment when removable media are inserted.
    You can, for example, automatically open an application or have a dialog
    ask the user what to do. It seems to me that all these options are
    ignored in the GNOME flavour of OpenSUSE. Every time, for example, I
    insert a CD, it gets automatically mounted, and appears in the nautilus
    sidebar. However, the preference that I set before is never respected
    (For example, I set it to open the CD in rhythmbox).

    I think either udev or udisks might be interfering. Does anyone have
    any idea?

    Thank you

    Valerio


    Hi
    I would guess it's the mime type, if I add Rhythmbox to removable media
    I see the mime type x-content/audio-cdda appear.

    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.media-handling
    autorun-x-content-start-app
    ['x-content/unix-software','x-content/audio-cdda']
    If you edit the defaults in /etc/gnome_defaults.conf and add;
    Code:
    x-content/audio-cdda=rhythmbox.desktop
    See how that goes.....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    up 0:37, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.11
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,224
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    On Tue 25 Jun 2013 01:28:27 AM CDT, malcolmlewis wrote:

    On Tue 25 Jun 2013 12:36:01 AM CDT, valmar73 wrote:


    Dear All,

    I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of
    OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details, you can set the
    behavior of the Desktop Environment when removable media are inserted.
    You can, for example, automatically open an application or have a dialog
    ask the user what to do. It seems to me that all these options are
    ignored in the GNOME flavour of OpenSUSE. Every time, for example, I
    insert a CD, it gets automatically mounted, and appears in the nautilus
    sidebar. However, the preference that I set before is never respected
    (For example, I set it to open the CD in rhythmbox).

    I think either udev or udisks might be interfering. Does anyone have
    any idea?

    Thank you

    Valerio


    Hi
    I would guess it's the mime type, if I add Rhythmbox to removable media
    I see the mime type x-content/audio-cdda appear.

    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.media-handling
    autorun-x-content-start-app
    ['x-content/unix-software','x-content/audio-cdda']
    If you edit the defaults in /etc/gnome_defaults.conf and add;
    Code:
    x-content/audio-cdda=rhythmbox.desktop
    See how that goes.....

    Hi
    Hmmm it does show in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list can you
    confirm it's present for you?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    up 1:12, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.11
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200


  4. #4

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Dear All, thanks for helping

    We might have stepped onto a bug here. In the settings, I set rhythmbox as default application for audio cd. Then I checked:

    Code:
    ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    Where I see:

    Code:
    [Default Applications]
    x-content/audio-cdda=rhythmbox-device.desktop
    
    [Added Associations]
    x-content/audio-cdda=rhythmbox-device.desktop;
    I also tried:

    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.media-handling autorun-x-content-start-app
    and I see:

    Code:
    ['x-content/unix-software', 'x-content/audio-cdda']
    But Rhythmbox does not start. To be sure that other configurations were not interfering, I also tried this on a livecd with the same result...

    Valerio

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    On 2013-06-25 02:36, valmar73 wrote:
    >
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of
    > OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details,


    Which "system settings"? I ask because each desktop has its own system
    settings, different from others. There is no global setting thing for
    all desktops.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Sorry for not explaining clearly.

    I am using the Gnome version of OpenSuse (12.3), so I mean the "system settings" application from Gnome.

    Edit: To be precise, the "Details" subsection, and the "Removable Media" entry

    Valerio


    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-06-25 02:36, valmar73 wrote:
    >
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of
    > OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details,


    Which "system settings"? I ask because each desktop has its own system
    settings, different from others. There is no global setting thing for
    all desktops.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,230

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Quote Originally Posted by valmar73 View Post
    Every time, for example, I insert a CD, it gets automatically mounted, and appears in the nautilus sidebar. However, the preference that I set before is never respected (For example, I set it to open the CD in rhythmbox).
    According to other information you showed you set audio CD to be opened in rhythmbox. But the very fact that it is mounted means it is not audio, but data ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,230

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

    > I have a question about the behavior of the Gnome flavour of
    > OpenSUSE 12.3. In the system settings, under details,


    Which "system settings"? I ask because each desktop has its own system
    settings, different from others.
    Err ... are there many different GNOME desktops in openSUSE 12.3?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    According to other information you showed you set audio CD to be opened in rhythmbox. But the very fact that it is mounted means it is not audio, but data ...
    Valmar, are these MP3 CDs? If so, the system will detect them as data, not audio.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,224
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome and Removable Media Preferences

    Hi
    So I connected a USB cd/dvd caddy and it shows up in nautilus as cdda://sr0.

    However it won't auto start, if I open Nautilus I can manually start with the icon;

    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •