Start X server and KDE automaticly

Hello, I install openSUSE on my Raspberry Pi. It boot to commandline mode. When I start X server by command

startx

IceWM is loaded. I can start KDE by command

startkde

from terminal in IceWM.
I want to start X server and KDe automatickly after boot.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure about using the Raspberry Pi with openSUSE, but you can edit the default Windows Manager and Display manager. If you log in as root (which you should only do when required to edit system files), you can edit the following files:

/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

Edit the entry that says:

DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

Possible entries include: kdm, kdm3, kdm4, xdm, gdm, wdm, entrance, console and the default is kdm.

Next, edit the file:

/etc/sysconfig/windowmanager

Edit the entry that says:

DEFAULT_WM="kde-plasma"

Possible entries include: gnome, kde4, kde, lxde, xfce, twm, icewm or kde-plasma the default.

You can try using the program Midnight Commander, mc for short, from terminal which includes a nice text editor and as a file manager, you can find the proper file location.

Thank You,

When you installed a desktop system (thus not a “text only” install) the kdm/gdm inlopgscreen schould start automaticaly. to let you logiin. If you configured at installation )or later) for a particular user to login automaticaly, that shhould happen immedially after boot (thus no kd.gdm login screen in that case).

If that is not he case the source of that should be found. Using startx is not the way to go.

I have set bouth, but still boot to commandline mode and IceWM desktom.

What do you mean with “and”? You can’t have both at the same time I thiink

Henk and James, the OP uses a Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!), he did not install openSUSE, but downloaded a pi image of openSUSE, probably the one Bernhard Wiedemann provides. Since not all openSUSE packages are being built for ARMv5 (which is the APU the Pi uses), we cannot handle the Pi install like any openSUSE install performed by the user.

@OP: running KDE on a Pi is asking for trouble. The Pi has a max of 512 MB RAM, which is enough to run LXDE, RazorQt, KLyDE but certainly not enough to run KDE. Maybe you’ll get there (tried for a while myself) but forget about a smooth operating KDE. That needs at least 1GB RAM.

OTOH, don’t have a spare SD card right now, but will get one tomorrow. I managed to get X starting automatically by changing the “default.target” symlink to point at “graphical.target”, but not to get KDE running (had to stop experimenting and make sure I made some deadlines :smiley: ). I’ll be back here to see if we can get this working.

I have update on openSUSE 12.3 and remove IceWM package. Now it still boot to command line mode, but

startx

run KDE. I have install pattern kde and kde_basis. Is posible thet I need some more kde packages to complete installation?

OpenSUSE and KDE on Raspberry Pi in not fast, but it work. Maybe I will try LXDE.

Disclaimer: I have never tried openSUSE on a Raspberry Pi or any other ARM, so I’m writing with my experience with openSUSE on x86 in mind. But it shouldn’t be that different I guess!?

Your packages should be more than sufficient.

You can set the default window manager in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager (variable “DEFAULT_WM”). For KDE you should set this to “kde-plasma”, for LXDE to “lxde” I guess.

What happens when you run “init 5”, or “systemctl start xdm”?

So I suggest you determine you default systemd target. Run the following command:

cat /etc/systemd/system/default.target | grep "Description="

The result will include the term Graphical or Multi-User Target and you may be set to start in Multi-User and not Graphical.

To change to the Graphical target you can enter the following terminal command:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

To change to the Multi-User target you can enter the following terminal command:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

Once you make a change, restart openSUSE to see if you have made the change you want.

Thank You,

I have to switch to graphical target. Now I boot to grafical login screer, but I’m not able to log in. I try to login as root. I type username, password and I heve few secons of black screen. After that login screen load agen. Still round and round. I’m not able to do anything. I have same results with LXDE and KDE.

My second questin is whot should I set as DISPLAYMANAGER="???" for LXDE?

Thanks

Try using DISPLAYMANAGER=“lxdm” as it seems to be the right choice, but the package called “lxdm” must be installed.

Thank You,

Hello

Now I have install bouth KDE and LXDE.

LXDE boot to graphical login screen, but login is imposible. I Try log in as root and standard user too. Bouth without suces. I can switch to commandline mode by Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log in (root and standard uses is posible). As root I can run X server by command

startx

and openbox has been run. Next I can run LXterminal and start LXDE by command

startlxde

I have set

DISPLAYMANAGER="lxdm

and

DEFAULT_WM="lxde"

Why graphical login screen to LXDE not working?

KDE do something similar. Boot to graphical login screen. Login not posible. I can swicht to command line mode by Ctrl+Alt+F2. Login as root. Command

startx

run X server and KDE.

Thans for help.

Never ever login on a desktop environment as root. Not just for security reasons, also because it’s known to bork normal system behaviour.