Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot change keyboard layout - Gnome 3.8 - OpenSUSE 12.3

Default Cannot change keyboard layout - Gnome 3.8 - OpenSUSE 12.3

Hello everybody.
    Recently I've installed 12.3 edition in my desktop. Newbie to openSUSE world.
    I've updated to gnome version 3.8 through an easy procedure via zypper. (add repo - refresh - dup) . From this time I cannot change the keyboard layout with any combination except the Super + Space. Any other combination (Alt+Shift , Alt+Ctrl ... etc) will fail.
    I've asked a friend who has Gnome 3.8 in Ubuntu (via PPA) just because I want to be sure this is not a Gnome's problem, and I was right. There, the keyboard layout switch works as it should.

What I have tried so far listed below.

1. Change keyboard layout through "Keyboard Shortcuts -> Typing"
    2. Change layout through "Gnome Tweak Tool -> Typing -> Modifiers only-input source switcher"
    3. Add 2 lines inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-keytable.conf (XkbOptions and XkbLayout) to match my preferred layout switch.
    4. Add in /etc/xdg/autostart a new .desktop entry . (Exec=setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle "us,gr")

Any idea would be welcome

Regards
    NikTh

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Cannot change keyboard layout - Gnome 3.8 - OpenSUSE 12.3

Have you tried with YaST
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Have you tried with YaST
    Probably I'm missing something here, because I cannot see an option to set my keyboard keys combination to change the layout. (also expert settings have not this option)

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Hello everybody.
    Recently I've installed 12.3 edition in my desktop. Newbie to openSUSE world.
    I've updated to gnome version 3.8 through an easy procedure via zypper. (add repo - refresh - dup) . From this time I cannot change the keyboard layout with any combination except the Super + Space. Any other combination (Alt+Shift , Alt+Ctrl ... etc) will fail.
    I've asked a friend who has Gnome 3.8 in Ubuntu (via PPA) just because I want to be sure this is not a Gnome's problem, and I was right. There, the keyboard layout switch works as it should.

What I have tried so far listed below.

1. Change keyboard layout through "Keyboard Shortcuts -> Typing"
    2. Change layout through "Gnome Tweak Tool -> Typing -> Modifiers only-input source switcher"
    3. Add 2 lines inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-keytable.conf (XkbOptions and XkbLayout) to match my preferred layout switch.
    4. Add in /etc/xdg/autostart a new .desktop entry . (Exec=setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle "us,gr")

Any idea would be welcome

Regards
    NikTh
    I am having the same issue here ... just upgraded from OS 12.2 > 12.3 and the system is uptodate with the repositories ... I am currently customizing settings. One setting that i rely on heavily is the 'Compose Key' shortcut that allows me to add foreign accents to letters.

However ... the options is DISABLED in this version of OS [see screenshot] ... have tried to find the answer locally but am totally out of ideas! .. This post is the ONLY one that i can find on the net regarding this issue ...

Has anybody got any ideas how i might ENABLE the Typing Shortcuts???

If somebody could confirm whether this is a distro wide issue with OS12.3-64 ... or is it just my installation.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    I am having the same issue here ... just upgraded from OS 12.2 > 12.3 and the system is uptodate with the repositories ... I am currently customizing settings. One setting that i rely on heavily is the 'Compose Key' shortcut that allows me to add foreign accents to letters.

However ... the options is DISABLED in this version of OS [see screenshot] ... have tried to find the answer locally but am totally out of ideas! .. This post is the ONLY one that i can find on the net regarding this issue ...

Has anybody got any ideas how i might ENABLE the Typing Shortcuts???

Click on those "disabled" labels and it will allow you set key combinations
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

If somebody could confirm whether this is a distro wide issue with OS12.3-64 ... or is it just my installation.

Thanks.
    I think yes. I said that on my first post.

Unfortunately this not apply in my installation. When I click "disabled" to set a custom combo it just ignores it.

OMG!!! .... ... perhaps a more intuitive label might be [Not set] ... or [Select ...]', because the function is NOT disabled, is it!?!

Thnx Vaz.......

OMG!!! .... ... perhaps a more intuitive label might be [Not set] ... or [Select ...]', because the function is NOT disabled, is it!?!

Thnx Vaz.......
    you are welcome
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Unfortunately this not apply in my installation. When I click "disabled" to set a custom combo it just ignores it.
    Have the same problem in 12.3 after update. It ignores any buttons i press. Maybe i could edit some config-file manually to teach Suse change layout?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast