zypper halt while "Reading installed packages..."

I installed opensuse-12.3-x86_64 on my laptop. When using zypper to search some packages, zypper halt with “Reading installed packages…”. I cleaned all caches with “zypper clean -a”, but zypper still can’t work. Furthmore, the software manager of Yast can’t work yet!

Maybe this helps:

Zypper halted when reading installed packages [SOLVED]

Don’t know if applies to you but I’ve found that zypper is going online to silently refresh the repo cache. Depending on which repos and the sizes plus etwork variables this can take awhile.

To verify this might be your issue (which would mean everything is working properly) manually refresh your repos so you can see what is happening before your actual zypper operation or disable refresh.

To manually refresh before searching

zypper ref
zypper se foobar

To disable refresh, eg because you just refreshed your cache earlier in the day

zypper --no-remote se foobar

HTH,
TSU

It does that before outputting “Reading installed packages…”, so this can’t really be the issue.

@duanhuiqiang:
You could try to run “sudo zypper clean -a” to clean up all caches.

Thank you, all! The problem is solved. The update rep made the trouble. Now I change all repositories to official, Zypper works well.

One year later…

The link with the solution

http://blog.mohammadzadeh.info/index.php/zypper-halted-when-reading-installed

is broken.

Could someone post the solution here, just for completeness?

Tks

IIRC it was something like this:

• disable all repos
  • enable the repos one by one and call zypper to find out which one causes the problem
  • then remove that repo and enable the other ones again

Afterwards you might try to add that offending repo again.

But I never had this problem myself, not even in this further year…

zypper -vvv [OPTIONS] [ARGUMENTS]

To make it more verbose.

Also

--no-refresh

to avoid refreshing the repos, unless of course you have disabled auto refresh already by using the -R option, see

zypper help mr

for more info.

But the problem this thread was about was not caused by refreshing the repos.
zypper hang afterwards, when “Reading installed packages…”.

And there were a few similar thread at the time.

Using the “–disable-system-resolvables” option would have avoided that hang, but that’s not very helpful either when installing packages f.e.