mode=1777 unrecognized mount option

i edited fstab and added mode=1777 to my /tmp partition, after that when trying to boot it goes into emergency mode with the error message saying it’s an unrecognized mount option and the system is unbootable :|, i managed to edit it via live cd boot and get it booting again, but i wonder why did this happen. i use luks/lvm for the system. i would paste the fstab entry but i’m currently on a different system so will try add it later. anyone got an idea what could have caused this?

Yes, we need that fstab entry ofcourse. And when you add that information, please add also tha what you should have told us in the foirst line: which version of openSUSE.

We need the complete one because mode= iss a file system specific option and thus it depends on the file system if it is appplicable, and when yes, what it is suppsed to do.

And you could also explain why you want to add that option. This to adhere to the rule: Describe the problem, not the step.

Here’s the fstab entry:

/dev/system/tmp      /tmp      ext4     acl,user_xattr,noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec,mode=1777   1 2

I use openSUSE 12.3 KDE
I wanted the option to prevent the folder from being modified or deleted, for added security. >:)

That makes no sense.

Can’t you just do:

mount /dev/system/tmp /mnt
chmod 1777 /mnt
umount /mnt

And them the 1777 mode is part of the file system. You get it without specifying a mode for mount.

You could do that while booted from a live image, after manually unlocking the luks encryption and making the LVM accessible.

Or just boot up your system, without that “mode=” entry, and do (as root)

chmod 1777 /tmp

You only have to do that once. Unless it is undone, it will be remembered as part of the file system.

The “mode=” is intended for “tmpfs”, not for “ext4”.

Re-posting, as it did not make to the web-side.

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:28:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-06-22 01:06, ambusher wrote:
>>
>> Here’s the fstab entry:
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>> /dev/system/tmp /tmp ext4
>> acl,user_xattr,noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec,mode=1777 1 2
>> --------------------
>>
>> I use openSUSE 12.3 KDE I wanted the option to prevent the folder from
>> being modified or deleted, for added security. >:)
>
> The system is correct, that entry is not recognized, and the
> documentation says the same.
>
> You are trying to use an option designed for Windows mounts (fat, ntfs,
> etc) in a native Linux filesystem (ext4). Instead, you change the
> permissions of the folder with chmod.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)