Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opensuse 12.2: yast "System Services (Runlevel): Services" very slow: how to investigate

Default Re: opensuse 12.2: yast "System Services (Runlevel): Services" very slow: how to investigate

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Your problem is that something wants to start ldap.service but it doesn't exist.
    My guess would be that you have a symlink somewhere in /etc/systemd/system/ that points to a missing file.

What does "find /etc/systemd/ -name ldap.service" give you?
    Good: we came to the same conclusion (:

The bad thing: no mention of `ldap.service` or `ldap` in `/etc/system.d`:
    Code:
    snip:/home/jeroenp # find /etc/systemd/ -name ldap.service
    snip:/home/jeroenp # find /etc/systemd/ -name ldap        
    snip:/home/jeroenp # grep -inrw ldap /etc/systemd/
    snip:/home/jeroenp #
    The ldap.service is the only service that fails at boot:

Code:
    snip:/home/jeroenp # dmesg | grep dependency
    [   13.052361] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit ldap.service, ignoring: Unit ldap.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status ldap.service' for details.
    --jeroen

Default Re: opensuse 12.2: yast "System Services (Runlevel): Services" very slow: how to investigate

And since openldap2 still contains an sysvinit init script, also:
    Code:
    find /etc/init.d -name ldap
    Empty as well.
    What's the difference between sysvinit and non-sysvinit?

You could also try to install the openldap2 package, so that the service does exist.
    I'd rather do not do that yet, as I want to find out the root cause (I'm a bit pedantic, but I'd rather know the cause first before performing circumventing measures).

--jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by jpluimers View Post
    What's the difference between sysvinit and non-sysvinit?
    sysvinit is the older init system having runlevels 1-5 with scripts in /etc/init.d/.
    systemd is a new replacement used by default in openSUSE since 12.1. It has more flexible "targets" instead of runlevels and doesn't use scripts but so called "service files" (but it can run the old sysvinit scripts as well for compatibility).
    Those service files are located in /usr/lib/systemd, and /etc/systemd contains for each "target" a directory with symlinks to those service files that should be started in that target (a bit similar to how it's done with sysvinit).

I'd rather do not do that yet, as I want to find out the root cause (I'm a bit pedantic, but I'd rather know the cause first before performing circumventing measures).
    Maybe "journalctl" contains a clue? (could be called "systemd-journalctl" on 12.2, I'm not sure right now)

As I said, something wants to start ldap.service, maybe as dependency.
    So try to do a "grep -R ldap /etc/init.d" and "grep -R ldap /etc/systemd"...

Or maybe even "find /usr/lib/systemd -name ldap.service" and "grep -R ldap /usr/lib/systemd".

sysvinit is the older init system having runlevels 1-5 with scripts in /etc/init.d/.
    systemd is a new replacement used by default in openSUSE since 12.1. It has more flexible "targets" instead of runlevels and doesn't use scripts but so called "service files" (but it can run the old sysvinit scripts as well for compatibility).
    Those service files are located in /usr/lib/systemd, and /etc/systemd contains for each "target" a directory with symlinks to those service files that should be started in that target (a bit similar to how it's done with sysvinit).
    Maybe "journalctl" contains a clue? (could be called "systemd-journalctl" on 12.2, I'm not sure right now)
    Yes, it is the latter. It is slow to get all entries, so I will send the output to a text file and then browse it.

Later: browsed it.
    The first occurrence is at januari 1st (which means today is the first day I have tried to enable new system services since then).
    I took screenshots during the initial install. This is right after I installed sendmail.

Code:
    Jan 01 22:25:32 snip systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit ldap.service, ignoring: Unit ldap.service failed to load: No such file or direc...r details.
    As I said, something wants to start ldap.service, maybe as dependency.
    So try to do a "grep -R ldap /etc/init.d" and "grep -R ldap /etc/systemd"...

Or maybe even "find /usr/lib/systemd -name ldap.service" and "grep -R ldap /usr/lib/systemd".
    Bingo lots of results. Now I probably need some guidance on how to interpret them (:

What I think the below says is that sendmail needs ldap.service, but that yast does not understand this dependency.
    Which means that I should install openldap2 like suggested by wolfi323: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2566097

Can someone please confirm/deny my reasoning?

Code:
    snip:/etc/systemd/system # find /usr/lib/systemd -name ldap.service

snip:/etc/systemd/system # grep -R ldap /usr/lib/systemd

snip:/etc/systemd/system # grep -R ldap /etc/systemd
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sendmail.service:Wants=amavis.service cyrus.service ldap.service nscd.service ypbind.service sendmail-client.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sendmail.service:After=amavis.service cyrus.service ldap.service nscd.service ypbind.service

snip:/etc/systemd/system # grep -R ldap /etc/init.d
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S08smb:# Should-Start:   cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S08smb:# Should-Stop:    cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K01smb:# Should-Start:   cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K01smb:# Should-Stop:    cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S11sendmail:# Should-Start:      amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S11sendmail:# Should-Stop:       amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K03sendmail:# Should-Start:      amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K03sendmail:# Should-Stop:       amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S08named:# Should-Start:      ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S08named:# Should-Stop:       ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K05named:# Should-Start:      ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K05named:# Should-Stop:       ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S08smb:# Should-Start:   cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S08smb:# Should-Stop:    cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K01smb:# Should-Start:   cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K01smb:# Should-Stop:    cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S11sendmail:# Should-Start:      amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S11sendmail:# Should-Stop:       amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K03sendmail:# Should-Start:      amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K03sendmail:# Should-Stop:       amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S08named:# Should-Start:      ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S08named:# Should-Stop:       ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K05named:# Should-Start:      ldap
    /etc/init.d/rc5.d/K05named:# Should-Stop:       ldap
    /etc/init.d/autofs:# Should-Start:   $portmap ypbind keyserv ldap nfsserver network-remotefs
    /etc/init.d/autofs:# Should-Stop:    $portmap ypbind keyserv ldap nfsserver network-remotefs
    /etc/init.d/sendmail:# Should-Start:      amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/sendmail:# Should-Stop:       amavis cyrus ldap nscd ypbind
    /etc/init.d/smb:# Should-Start:   cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/smb:# Should-Stop:    cupsd winbind nmb ldap
    /etc/init.d/named:# Should-Start:      ldap
    /etc/init.d/named:# Should-Stop:       ldap
    /etc/init.d/dhcpd:# Should-Start:            network-remotefs $named $syslog $time ldap ndsd
    /etc/init.d/dhcpd:# Should-Stop:            network-remotefs $named $syslog ldap ndsd
    /etc/init.d/dhcpd:LDAP_CONF=/etc/openldap/ldap.conf
    /etc/init.d/dhcpd6:# Should-Start:            network-remotefs $named $syslog $time ldap ndsd
    /etc/init.d/dhcpd6:# Should-Stop:            network-remotefs $named $syslog ldap ndsd

snip:/etc/systemd/system #
    Thanks for all the help so far. Learned a lot of new things today: good thing (:

Some notes on what I learned:

zypper search openldap2
    zypper verify
    zypper what-provides ldap
    zypper update
    zypper ps

/bin/systemd-journalctl

--jeroen

Can someone please confirm/deny my reasoning?
    Anyone? Please? (:

Code:
    snip:/etc/systemd/system # grep -R ldap /etc/systemd
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sendmail.service:Wants=amavis.service cyrus.service ldap.service nscd.service ypbind.service sendmail-client.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sendmail.service:After=amavis.service cyrus.service ldap.service nscd.service ypbind.service
    I guess that one is causing that error message.
    In this case your only options are to disable/uninstall sendmail (maybe use postfix instead?) or install openldap2 to get rid of that error message.

But I'm not sure that this causes your slow yast.
    You could try to disable sendmail.service by calling "sudo systemctl disable sendmail.service" temporarily and run yast to see if that helps.
    You can enable it then again with "sudo systemctl enable sendmail.service".

What I think the below says is that sendmail needs ldap.service, but that yast does not understand this dependency.
    You mean yast software management?
    That only knows about dependencies that are specified in the RPM files. If one needed dependency is missing there, this should be reported as bug.
    But it seems sendmail works without ldap, doesn't it?
    Maybe only that service dependency is wrong? (although: Wants != Requires; that only means it will be started if it's available)

I guess that one is causing that error message.
    In this case your only options are to disable/uninstall sendmail (maybe use postfix instead?) or install openldap2 to get rid of that error message.

But I'm not sure that this causes your slow yast.
    You could try to disable sendmail.service by calling "sudo systemctl disable sendmail.service" temporarily and run yast to see if that helps.
    You can enable it then again with "sudo systemctl enable sendmail.service".
    I did
    sudo systemctl disable sendmail.service
    followed by
    sudo rcsendmail stop

Tried yast -> Network Services -> HTTP Server.
    It is still slow (takes about 2 minutes to load).

Same for yast -> System -> System services.
    Takes 30+ seconds per service to show the current enabled state.

The only good thing I thought: no more ldap messages in /var/log/messages when doing things in yast, only after reboot.

Then it occurred to me: what if some dependencies did still not resolve them selves automatically?

So I rebooted. And it works! Thanks guys for your knowledge and your patience!

Tried yast -> Network Services -> HTTP Server.
    Much faster (about 20 seconds to load).

Same for yast -> System -> System services.
    Takes less than 1 second per service to show the current enabled state.

Still no new ldap warnings in the /var/log/messages

Conclusion: somehow the ldap services is needed and speeds a lot of things up.
    Not sure why, so if anyone knows, please share your knowledge about it.

You mean yast software management?
    That only knows about dependencies that are specified in the RPM files. If one needed dependency is missing there, this should be reported as bug.
    But it seems sendmail works without ldap, doesn't it?
    Maybe only that service dependency is wrong? (although: Wants != Requires; that only means it will be started if it's available)

Somewhere later this summer I'll try this with the most recent opensuse version. If it still reproduces, I'll log a bug.

--jeroen

Default Re: opensuse 12.2: yast "System Services (Runlevel): Services" very

Re-posting, as it did not make to the web-side.

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:33:15 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-06-22 00:06, jpluimers wrote:
    >
    >> Tried yast -> Network Services -> HTTP Server.
    >> It is still slow (takes about 2 minutes to load).
    >>
    >> Same for yast -> System -> System services.
    >> Takes 30+ seconds per service to show the current enabled state.
    >>
    >> The only good thing I thought: no more ldap messages in
    >> /var/log/messages when doing things in yast, only after reboot.

>
    > I have no access to this thread except this single message, yet...
    >
    > The 2 minutes wait is the delay while waiting for an LDAP server to
    > respond. I think it might 30" per query.
    >
    > Somehow you configured for LDAP usage, and it is not working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12