Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Software installation without root password?

Default Re: Software installation without root password?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    So what?
    Many other daemons are running as root and don't ask you for your root password to start... Would be a bit cumbersome to boot otherwise...
    Good point. I suppose I just feel I want to be in control of the software that gets installed on my system.

How are you logged in then?
    If you are logged in as _normal_ user on your system, polkit will grant you the right to install updates, since that's what it's configured to do by default.
    I'm usually logged in as normal user, and rarely as root.

No, it won't. Unless you manually configured it to do that.
    It may refresh the package list automatically though.
    Believe me, it does. The whole notification window (except the 'install later' button and, I suppose, the 'x' (exit) button) responds as 'install now'

Have you run "/sbin/set_polkit_default_privs" as root afterwards? This is needed for the change to take effect.
    No, I did not. Where should I look to find out that would be necessary?

On 2013-12-10 13:26, hnimmo wrote:
    > No, I did not. Where should I look to find out that would be necessary?

Good point.

This was previously done by the script "SuSEconfig", which was used to
    apply all the configuration options stored on several files. Somebody
    decided that it had to go, and now we have to learn how to apply each
    particular config instead.

For security settings, you also have to run "chkstat --system" or rather
    "chkstat --system --set".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Believe me, it does. The whole notification window (except the 'install later' button and, I suppose, the 'x' (exit) button) responds as 'install now'
    I don't use GNOME, so I didn't know about that. But it doesn't really install them automatically, you have to click on it first, if I understand you correctly.
    On KDE this is not the case. You have to explicitely click on "Install" to install updates.

But this is either a design decision by the GNOME developers or a bug then.
    And it's no issue of PackageKit, it's specific to the GNOME applet.

No, I did not. Where should I look to find out that would be necessary?
    Well, I already told you so in this very thread...

It's also mentioned in the file /etc/polkit-default-privs.local, but unfortunately not in /etc/sysconfig/security AFAICS.

There used to be a chapter about PolicyKit in the openSUSE Security Guide, but apparently that got dropped somehow after 11.4.
    Chapter

Anyway, run "/sbin/set_polkit_default_privs" as root, and the GNOME applet should ask you for the root password.
    Or if you use YaST->System->/etc/sysconfig editor to change that setting, I think it will be run automatically by YaST.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Anyway, run "/sbin/set_polkit_default_privs" as root, and the GNOME applet should ask you for the root password.
    Or if you use YaST->System->/etc/sysconfig editor to change that setting, I think it will be run automatically by YaST.
    I made the change using YaST->System->/etc/sysconfig editor (but did not follow it up with /sbin/set_polkit_default_privs from a console), so that must be the reason it continued to install the updates without asking.

Many thanks for the inputs.

Cheers
    hn

Blog Entries

I don't normally use Gnome, but I do experiment with it from time to time.

In my experience (with 12.3), updates were never installed but I was told about them.

However, when I went to install updates using "zypper", it did seem that they had already been downloaded -- presumably by the Gnome update daemon. I'll note that the KDE updater does not do that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I made the change using YaST->System->/etc/sysconfig editor (but did not follow it up with /sbin/set_polkit_default_privs from a console), so that must be the reason it continued to install the updates without asking.
    So apparently YaST does _not_ call it automatically? Good to know. I really thought it might...

Btw, set_polkit_default_privs creates a file /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/90-default-privs.rules with the actual polkit rules, you can have a look at that file to see if the permissions are like you want them to be now... (search for "org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update")

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't normally use Gnome, but I do experiment with it from time to time.

In my experience (with 12.3), updates were never installed but I was told about them.

However, when I went to install updates using "zypper", it did seem that they had already been downloaded -- presumably by the Gnome update daemon. I'll note that the KDE updater does not do that.
    Apper (KDE's updater) has the following options for "Automatically update": "None", "Download only", "Security only", "All updates".

Maybe the GNOME applet has similar settings? I can't find anything regarding this in "gpk-prefs" though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123