Tomcat fails to start

I installed tomcat. It’s installed in /usr/share/tomcat directory. I am unable to start the tomcat server.
on entering :
“rctomcat start”
i get the message :
“redirecting to systemctl start tomcat”

on checking the status (“rctomcat status”)
i get the following message :

Checking for Tomcat (/usr/share/tomcat) unused
tomcat.service - Apache Tomcat Web Application Container
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tomcat.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed, 2013-06-19 02:01:35 IST; 6s ago
Process: 10538 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/tomcat-sysd stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 10509 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/tomcat-sysd start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/tomcat.service

Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalin…9)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImp…d)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImp…e)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccesso…e)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unk…e)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr…1)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC tomcat-sysd[10538]: at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr…8)
Jun 19 02:01:35 Aditya.PC systemd[1]: Unit tomcat.service entered failed state

i entered the command : “tomcat-sysd start”
and i got the message :
ERROR: one of CATALINA_BASE, CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_TMPDIR is not defined
use proper EnvironmentFile= in your .service file

Where is this .service file present ? I checked the tomcat.conf file, but there all the three variables are defined as :

Where your tomcat installation lives

CATALINA_HOME="/usr/share/tomcat"

where the given instance lives

CATALINA_BASE="/usr/share/tomcat"

the temp dir of the instance

CATALINA_TMPDIR="/var/cache/tomcat/temp"

all have the correct path. Any suggestions ?

Sounds like a systemd thing. Why not learn more about working with systemd?

SysdCmd - systemd Command Help/Config Editor - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

To start with systemd, you would use this command (user the proper service file name):

systemctl start tomcat

Thank You,

Thank you for replying :slight_smile:
I used “systemctl start tomcat” command
but i got no output message.
localhost still isn’t working
and on typing rctomcat status, i still get the above stated error message
i checked the tomcat.service file (in /usr/lib/systemd/system)
in that the EnvironmentFile has correct path in which the Catalina variables are defined and for execution it uses the same thing : tomcat-sysd start.

i opened the tomcat-sysd file and defined the CATALINA variables in the file

now, tomcat-sysd start doesn’t give any error. But no output is show and localhost still doesn’t work

I can only say I am not using tomcat and can’t help much, but I have had other issues with systemd and some applications that have not been modified to work properly with systemd. For instance, the dkms package as installed from Packman repo does not work without creating a service file. Here is one such way I made an application work:

DKMS & systemd - How to get Dynamic Kernel Module Support to work in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

It basically meant I moved the startup bash script from /etc/init.d and created a proper service file for it and it then worked OK. One could take the same approach with tomcat, to see if it would help.

Thank You,